How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)


    I need some advice so please for help.

    My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
    Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
    We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified Land Registry, neither the lender.
    1. Do we have to notify Land Registry or lender?
    2. Can only my husband offset mortgage interest against rental income or it has to be split between us in 90%-10%?
    3. How do we have to split the rest of expenses? Each of us - he or I have paid randomly for an inventory, gas certificate, insurance, fees, council tax, bills etc. from our own accounts (not joint).
    Do we have to add all expenses up and then split them into 90-10% or each of us has to deduct exactly what he's paid for?

    Thank you

    Just asked Hmrc yesterday regarding this on their webinar meeting, you can't split income if your husband is sole owner. It can be split only since the date your name is added on deed.


      Your husband can't change the percentage ownership with a simple deed of trust.
      It's possible to construct a trust to (effectively) own the property, but the trust would be the owner, not as described.

      A trust as - I think - your husband has tried to set up can only change the beneficial ownership share of a jointly owned property.
      So the form 17 is actually wrong and should be withdrawn (otherwise it's possibly going to get your husband in trouble).

      1 - You (probably) can't change the beneficial ownership shares without the mortgage lender's permission.
      You (almost certainly) can't change the title ownership without their permission (and probably you both being on the mortgage).
      You will need to change the title in order to do what you have tried to do (unless you go down the more complex trust route).

      2 - is academic, because it's not possible - but you split the expenses in the same proportion as the ownership. Provided you are both the landlord - changing the title of the property doesn't change who the landlord is, that's a separate thing.

      3 - as 2.

      Essentially, unless the information given in the first post is incomplete or wrong, the husband hasn't actually done anything and should probably get some professional advice.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office allows the income to be shared differently by producing a "Declaration of Trust" and to inform HMRC by Form 17 within 60 days of signing DOT.

        If the property is registered under husband name only, then the total income must be reported on husband's tax return only.

        If the property is registered under both H & W names as "tenants in common" at Land Registry, the income is distributed according to % fixed in the registration at Land Registry and same % must be reported in the tax return submitted by each part owner.


        Latest Activity


        • Allowable expenses on property income

          Are the following costs allowable (tax deductible) expenses on property income?

          1. Accountant fees for compiling and submitting my self assessment every year.

          2. Legal fees for transferring the ownership of the property from my sole name to joint names (with...
          25-05-2018, 11:30 AM
        • Reply to Allowable expenses on property income
          I don't see that.

          A fee paid to a solicitor for legal advice or for conveyancing is not a "fee paid for ...registration of title on property purchase".
          That's something that would be paid to the land registry.

          It's an anomalous exception in any case, because...
          26-05-2018, 09:40 AM
        • Reply to Allowable expenses on property income
          Correct. And not legal fees relating to this aspect either....
          26-05-2018, 09:11 AM
        • Rent a room scheme

          I have read up on this subject but I am unclear re the following scenario.

          I own my own home in Glasgow. This is my only home.

          I have been made redundant, and my work is offering relocation to London.

          I would like to retain my home in Glasgow -...
          24-05-2018, 13:59 PM
        • Reply to Rent a room scheme
          Gordon spot on, but in Scotland a lodger is does not have a licence but a "common law tenancy" (paperwork suggestions Gordon makes I'd agree with...) and if he doesn't go when asked you need a Sheriff Court decree - see...

          26-05-2018, 08:43 AM
        • Reply to Rent a room scheme
          There is nothing to prevent OP keeping his home in Glasgow and taking on a lodger.

          But the lodger must be covered by a licence stating the payment of rent ( weekly or fortnightly or monthly ) and what notice period must be served to quit by each side .

          26-05-2018, 04:16 AM
        • Reply to Allowable expenses on property income
          The Notes for SA105 Tax return gives the expenses for entering in box 27 as shown below :

          Box 27 Legal, management and other professional fees

          You can claim:
          • management fees paid to an agent for rent collection, advertising and administration
          • legal and...
          26-05-2018, 02:10 AM
        • Reply to Allowable expenses on property income
          I am not sure I agree on the legal fees for transferral jp.

          Take spouse part out of it as that complicates it. If I were to transfer part of a property to my friend, that cost of transfer would be capital and offset against later capital gains. Not really different from selling the whole...
          25-05-2018, 19:14 PM
        • Reply to Allowable expenses on property income
          If the property is let or about to be let, 2 is definitely allowable.

          1 is debatable.
          It's something that everyone does (including me), but it probably fails the solely and exclusively test, so it probably shouldn't be allowed.
          For many people, the need for it arises as a direct...
          25-05-2018, 12:42 PM
        • Reply to Rent a room scheme
          There's a significant difference between a main residence for tax purposes and a main residence for a property licence.
          You can nominate your principle residence for tax purposes (as many MPs do) which is fine for tax purposes.

          It doesn't have the same effect when it comes to determining...
          25-05-2018, 09:35 AM