How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tax expenses and interest in joint house (husband/wife)

Hello.

I need some advice so please for help.

My husband has bought a house (BTL), the title and the mortgages are in his sole name.
    Then he has split the house 90%-10% (DoT) in my favor, the mortgage hasn't been change.
    We've sent Form 17 to HMRS but haven't notified Land Registry, neither the lender.
    1. Do we have to notify Land Registry or lender?
    2. Can only my husband offset mortgage interest against rental income or it has to be split between us in 90%-10%?
    3. How do we have to split the rest of expenses? Each of us - he or I have paid randomly for an inventory, gas certificate, insurance, fees, council tax, bills etc. from our own accounts (not joint).
    Do we have to add all expenses up and then split them into 90-10% or each of us has to deduct exactly what he's paid for?

Thank you

Just asked Hmrc yesterday regarding this on their webinar meeting, you can't split income if your husband is sole owner. It can be split only since the date your name is added on deed.

Comment

Your husband can't change the percentage ownership with a simple deed of trust.
      It's possible to construct a trust to (effectively) own the property, but the trust would be the owner, not as described.

A trust as - I think - your husband has tried to set up can only change the beneficial ownership share of a jointly owned property.
      So the form 17 is actually wrong and should be withdrawn (otherwise it's possibly going to get your husband in trouble).

1 - You (probably) can't change the beneficial ownership shares without the mortgage lender's permission.
      You (almost certainly) can't change the title ownership without their permission (and probably you both being on the mortgage).
      You will need to change the title in order to do what you have tried to do (unless you go down the more complex trust route).

2 - is academic, because it's not possible - but you split the expenses in the same proportion as the ownership. Provided you are both the landlord - changing the title of the property doesn't change who the landlord is, that's a separate thing.

3 - as 2.

Essentially, unless the information given in the first post is incomplete or wrong, the husband hasn't actually done anything and should probably get some professional advice.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If the property is registered under both names ( H & W) as " joint tenants" at Land Registry, both tenants have legal entitlement to the property. The Tax Office will assume the joint income is shared 50:50 and each person must declare 50% income in their tax return. The Tax Office allows the income to be shared differently by producing a "Declaration of Trust" and to inform HMRC by Form 17 within 60 days of signing DOT.

If the property is registered under husband name only, then the total income must be reported on husband's tax return only.

If the property is registered under both H & W names as "tenants in common" at Land Registry, the income is distributed according to % fixed in the registration at Land Registry and same % must be reported in the tax return submitted by each part owner.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Banana Skin
          Flashback1966
          I feel I have messed up my life. Despite working hard, I have landed on a banana skin.

I bought a 3 bedroom house many years ago. It seemed like a nice area. Little did I know, nearby the local housing associations had housed the thugs like the Kray twins and their chums. It was a "problem...
          17-07-2018, 15:22 PM
        • Reply to Banana Skin
          Claymore
          You will also get Letting Relief and Private Residence Relief and your personal Annual Allowance for CGT. Your bill maybe a lot less than you think.
          19-07-2018, 23:10 PM
        • Will I be OK when the new tac changes come in ?
          craig2222
          I currently earn £25000 from my job.I have 2 rental properties that bring in £12480 per year.I am thinking about buying another that would bring the total to £18720. £18720 plus £25000 is £43720. I'm I right in thinking as long as I am below the £46000 higher tax bracket I am OK and the new tax...
          19-07-2018, 16:05 PM
        • Reply to Will I be OK when the new tac changes come in ?
          mariner
          I think your assessed Tax Band is the key, not your Income, which can vary. eg Benefit in Kind, net profit from property etc
          Govt can easily alter qualifying Income.
          19-07-2018, 16:46 PM
        • Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
          hmmlee
          Hi there. I live in a Victorian property which has been divided into 5 flats.
          Several years ago, three of the flat owners (including myself) purchased the freehold. The two remaining flat owners decided that they would not participate in the freehold purchase.
          A company was formed for the...
          17-07-2018, 11:10 AM
        • Reply to Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
          Gordon999
          Normally the freehold company will report the income received from lease extension as "annual profit" in its annual acounts which are produced after the year end.

The profit will be reported in the tax return and about 13 months later the company get a tax bill of around 20%....
          18-07-2018, 15:43 PM
        • Reply to Banana Skin
          jpkeates
          CGT is only 18% (28 If you earn a lot). You still get 82% of any increase in value.
          Plus the rental income.
          18-07-2018, 07:00 AM
        • Reply to Banana Skin
          Gordon999
          If you quote some details : we can work out roughly the cgt.

When you bought the property and the price paid
          Dates when you lived in the property.
          Market value now .
          17-07-2018, 19:26 PM
          hmmlee
          Thank you very much for your response - I appreciate any assistance.
          The only trouble is that there are two companies involved (I should have mentioned this previously!)
          One company is the freehold company (representing the interests of the freeholders - collecting ground rent, leasehold...
          17-07-2018, 16:28 PM
          JK0
          I'd leave the money in the company, and relieve the directors of paying service charge until such time as the cash is depleted.
          17-07-2018, 15:43 PM
        Working...
        X