Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Windows

Hi
    Have been renting out 2 properties for over 10 years, during that time repairs and maintenance have been between £500 to £2000 in total per year.
    This year have replaced 30 year old windows/doors and guttering, so repairs will amount to around £11k.
    My query is, do I need to add any notes to my tax return for this? As guessing maybe flagged up? Although are legitimate costs.

Thanks
    B

I am not sure if you need to, however I always tend to add a note if the maintenance is high for a particular year e.g. if Section 20 works etc. Have never had anything queried. I imagine things are becoming more and more automated so if a difference in trend it may throw it up.

Comment

Thanks, think i might do this.

Comment

I would volunteer some explanation in the tax return for any excessive expense during the year.

It becomes worrying if something in your tax return causes the tax office to investigate you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Change joint tenants to tenants in common 99/1 split with unmarried partner
          johnsmith0774
          Can anyone help with a tax question please

My partner and I are unmarried and we own a BTL house. She looks after the kids and doesn't work and I pay 40% tax.

Are we able to change the ownership of the house from joint tenants to tenants in common with a 99/1 split so she pays...
          19-04-2018, 11:55 AM
        • Reply to Change joint tenants to tenants in common 99/1 split with unmarried partner
          Gordon999
          I suggest that you write a letter to your Tax Office :

To Inspector of Taxes .

Dear Sirs ,

Tax Ref :

We ( Name 1 and Name 2 ) are joint owners of a BTL rental property at 88 Station Road, Market Town .

We wish to inform you that from 6th...
          19-04-2018, 13:08 PM
        • Self Assessment
          RedHitman
          I’m just wondering how difficult it is to actually do my own self assessment. Does anyone have a quick explanation of what it actually entails?

I have two properties, no mortgages, and 2017-18 will be my second tax year in having them.

I hired an accountant for 2016-17 on...
          11-04-2018, 07:44 AM
        • Reply to Self Assessment
          RedHitman
          I’m lucky - No mortgages!
          isn’t it 75% of the interest now though or something like that ? It’s something I don’t need to know about (luckily) so I’m unsure of the figures!...
          19-04-2018, 08:28 AM
          wfd_property
          How much of the mortgage repayment did you include?...
          19-04-2018, 05:57 AM
          bluebonnie
          Glad to hear that you managed it, RedHitman. It really is incredibly straightforward, especially if all the monetary transactions for your letting business go through a dedicated bank account, and you annotate every bank statement as you receive it.
          18-04-2018, 16:43 PM
        • Stamp Duty queries
          abc777uu
          Hi there,

I am currently having one residential property. I am buying a residential property and making the current residential property as let to buy.

Do I have to pay 3% additional surcharge?

If my new residential purchase price is £452,000, please help me to...
          16-04-2018, 16:34 PM
        • Reply to Stamp Duty queries
          loanarranger
          I didn't even have to open my mouth in clarification , thanks JPkeates , cheque in the post.
          17-04-2018, 15:46 PM
        • Reply to Stamp Duty queries
          abc777uu
          Thanks all..much appreciated.
          17-04-2018, 12:56 PM
        Working...
        X