Is new boiler allowable expense in this instance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is new boiler allowable expense in this instance?

Thanks for the advice I received for my related question a few days ago....

I had a 30+ year old boiler in my one bedroom flat which I let out. Each year the chap who services it warns me that it's on a reduced parts list and that I really need to get it replaced before it 'forces my hand'. The flat also has an immersion heater which had recently started rattling and driving the tenant mad. In addition I had just had to deal with the overflow leaking from the header tank in the loft. So I've bitten the bullet and had the old system replaced with a new combi boiler. This means the old boiler + immersion cylinder and header tanks were ripped out and the new combi boiler was installed, providing hot water and heating.

My question is this.....is this considered an allowable expense i.e. is it effectively a repair/maintenance using the equivalent modern technology (like replacing standard old windows with modern double glazed ones)? Or would it be deemed an upgrade so not allowed?

Apologies for the long winded explanation and sorry if the answer seems obvious- I'm fairly new to all this.

Cheers

Since it replaces an existing system over 30 years old, it should be treated as maintenance and cost can be claimed against rental income.

Comment

Agree with Gordon... if it was replacing a modern non combi boiler you had put in 5 years ago then it would probably be part improvement rather than just maintenance... but I suspect in all reality HMRC would be too busy to check anyway

Comment

Landlordzone posted the following useful article on Tax today https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/infor...owable-expense see
        The “Grey” areas between Capital and Expenses

Comment

Thanks very much all.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
            multipropertyguy
            I own a number of properties, earn over the 40% threshold, trade as a private individual and do a self assessment return each year for Land & Property.

Now, I'm looking at a new property, but commercial this time, I'm 50/50 about setting up a Ltd company to purchase the new property...
            11-07-2018, 13:17 PM
          • Reply to Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
            loanarranger
            A limited company doesn’t have to have been operating before you buy your first property within it, indeed many lenders will use your personal involvement in Property as a measure of credibility.
            If you decide to include your children , are they over 17 years of age and what percentage will...
            11-07-2018, 20:04 PM
          • Capital gains sale
            leehen
            Hello

Wonder if you can help.

I own a currently rented out property and looking to sell.

Its a little confusing hence my question.

So to run down a timeline

March 14 - bought the flat on a shared ownership basis - 50% of full value of...
            07-07-2018, 20:10 PM
          • Reply to Capital gains sale
            Gordon999
            Your total buying cost = GBP 163K . So if you sell at 280K , then your total gain = 280K-163K = GBP 117K .

Your total period of ownership from Mar 14 to Sept 2018 = 4 years + 6 Months = 4.5 years..

Your period of former main residence = March 14 -April 16 + 18 Months from...
            09-07-2018, 19:48 PM
            leehen
            Hi
            Thanks for your reply
            Estimated sale price is 280,000.
            Thanks
            Lee
            09-07-2018, 18:14 PM
            Gordon999
            What is the estimated asking price / sale value in Jul 2018 ?
            08-07-2018, 18:52 PM
          • Joint Tennant implications for non married ownership
            Berkshire45
            hello I am hoping that someone knows about the complex situation where 2 non related and non married people own a property. the question is about CGT as the property is not rented currently.

2 people are listed on a property title deeds, person 1 is not receiving any benefits from the...
            01-07-2018, 08:14 AM
          • Reply to Joint Tennant implications for non married ownership
            Gordon999
            Berkshire 45 ,

Here are my comments :

1. The caital gains tax is Nil % rate for capital gain acquired during the period of owner occupier whilst the non-occupier can be charged tax at 18 % or 28%.on balance after deducting the free allowance.of GBP 11.5K

So when...
            08-07-2018, 08:21 AM
          • Claiming for Travel and Subsistence Costs
            Martin Purches
            Hi - I'm a new member so forgive me for asking a question which I'm sure has come up before.

I own buy to let holiday lets which are 200 miles from my home. When I travel to them for maintenance/inspections etc I claim the mileage (45ppm plus 5ppp passenger).

I'm unclear though...
            01-06-2018, 08:20 AM
          • Reply to Claiming for Travel and Subsistence Costs
            bhodgkiss
            Exactly DPT57, it does make it pointless, unless youre in the 40% tax bracket and your partner owns the holiday let and is in the 20% bracket?
            Also its not actually clear whats going on - the OP travels 200 miles from his main home to do repair work, so how then does he repair the main home at...
            05-07-2018, 12:44 PM
          Working...
          X