Is new boiler allowable expense in this instance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is new boiler allowable expense in this instance?

Thanks for the advice I received for my related question a few days ago....

I had a 30+ year old boiler in my one bedroom flat which I let out. Each year the chap who services it warns me that it's on a reduced parts list and that I really need to get it replaced before it 'forces my hand'. The flat also has an immersion heater which had recently started rattling and driving the tenant mad. In addition I had just had to deal with the overflow leaking from the header tank in the loft. So I've bitten the bullet and had the old system replaced with a new combi boiler. This means the old boiler + immersion cylinder and header tanks were ripped out and the new combi boiler was installed, providing hot water and heating.

My question is this.....is this considered an allowable expense i.e. is it effectively a repair/maintenance using the equivalent modern technology (like replacing standard old windows with modern double glazed ones)? Or would it be deemed an upgrade so not allowed?

Apologies for the long winded explanation and sorry if the answer seems obvious- I'm fairly new to all this.

Cheers

Since it replaces an existing system over 30 years old, it should be treated as maintenance and cost can be claimed against rental income.

Comment

Agree with Gordon... if it was replacing a modern non combi boiler you had put in 5 years ago then it would probably be part improvement rather than just maintenance... but I suspect in all reality HMRC would be too busy to check anyway

Comment

Landlordzone posted the following useful article on Tax today https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/infor...owable-expense see
        The “Grey” areas between Capital and Expenses

Comment

Thanks very much all.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Furnished Holiday Let - Tax Questions
            ChaseNRainbows
            Hi I have a property that I'm letting through a short term holiday letting company. All seems good so far, but can someone let me know how the tax works on this? Its located in Brighton if that makes a difference?

Also as this is a "furnished Holiday Let" what can I get away with...
            13-07-2018, 15:17 PM
          • Reply to Furnished Holiday Let - Tax Questions
            mariner
            BBC Moneybox today suggested new rules in Oct will require LL to spend min 1 night in holiday Let to gain any tax advantage for duration of Let.
            15-07-2018, 22:46 PM
            MdeB
            1. You speak to a tax inspector, not the person that answers the phone (phone your own tax office, or the one local to you).
            2. Get the tax inspector to put the advice in writing to you.

I have done this several times.
            Once I was given unsolicited information that allowed me...
            15-07-2018, 14:45 PM
            jpkeates
            Personally, I wouldn't take advice from HMRC, a) the people manning the phone aren't qualifies and b) it's like taking legal advice from the police about a criminal matter.

You need to sit down and talk it through with an accountant in some detail (I'd imagine Brighton has quite a lot of...
            14-07-2018, 08:35 AM
            MdeB
            Best to phone in and ask a tax inspector.

But, I believe the position includes:
            • To get any tax relief, the property has to be available to let for at least 210 days each tax year and actually let at least 105 days each tax year.
              if property is bought part-way through a tax year,
            13-07-2018, 21:29 PM
          • Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
            multipropertyguy
            I own a number of properties, earn over the 40% threshold, trade as a private individual and do a self assessment return each year for Land & Property.

Now, I'm looking at a new property, but commercial this time, I'm 50/50 about setting up a Ltd company to purchase the new property...
            11-07-2018, 13:17 PM
          • Reply to Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
            loanarranger
            A limited company doesn’t have to have been operating before you buy your first property within it, indeed many lenders will use your personal involvement in Property as a measure of credibility.
            If you decide to include your children , are they over 17 years of age and what percentage will...
            11-07-2018, 20:04 PM
          • Capital gains sale
            leehen
            Hello

Wonder if you can help.

I own a currently rented out property and looking to sell.

Its a little confusing hence my question.

So to run down a timeline

March 14 - bought the flat on a shared ownership basis - 50% of full value of...
            07-07-2018, 20:10 PM
          • Reply to Capital gains sale
            Gordon999
            Your total buying cost = GBP 163K . So if you sell at 280K , then your total gain = 280K-163K = GBP 117K .

Your total period of ownership from Mar 14 to Sept 2018 = 4 years + 6 Months = 4.5 years..

Your period of former main residence = March 14 -April 16 + 18 Months from...
            09-07-2018, 19:48 PM
          • Reply to Capital gains sale
            leehen
            Hi
            Thanks for your reply
            Estimated sale price is 280,000.
            Thanks
            Lee
            09-07-2018, 18:14 PM
          Working...
          X