X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MisterB
    started a topic That time of year ,,,,

That time of year ,,,,

its that time of year that I submit our tax returns (yes I know I should do it sooner !!) our profits aren't massive but since my wife has stopped working we can at least claim her full allowance due to a 99/1% split, properly notified etc a couple of years ago.

t still leaves us with a tax bill (this year around 1k) but next year probably closer to 4 or 5k, unless we invest in more property and renovations (required works not improvements ...) can anyone recommend any good guides to utilising a private pension scheme that would reduce the tax burden, she is 57 and doesn't have a company or private pension.

• MisterB
    replied
    ive just ordered a couple of tax café books, thanks

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Have you seen this stuff on gov.uk website :?

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-your-priva...ion-tax-relief

May be a magazine from WH Smiths can help you ?

Leave a comment:

• MisterB
    replied
    thanks but I was thinking more along the lines of her investing in a private pension scheme to bring the burden down and to gain some additional benefit in doing so (in later years if necessary)

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I don't think pensions can invest in residential property, but commercial or agricultural is OK.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Taking Rent in Advance and Tax Position
    Claymore
    Grateful for some advice from our regular posters please.

I have tenants due to move into my house on 1st Feb. They have sold their home (completion 1st Feb) so they can address a financial pickle they had got themselves into, they have been very upfront about their mistakes, they are...
    23-01-2019, 10:53 AM
  • Reply to Taking Rent in Advance and Tax Position
    Claymore
    No, its not three months - it means an extra 8 months rent going into 2018/19 return instead of the 8 months going into 2019/2020 - the 12 months rent is a very large amount - South East London prices and will really affect things.

I think I will just ask the solicitor to split the payments...
    23-01-2019, 13:58 PM
  • Allowable tax expenses of sublet annexe
    Manya
    Hi I’m dealing with the rental income for tax purposes for the first time from an attached annexe and need help! We rent the property from our landlord and had permission from him to sublet a self contained annexe which has its own front and back door but which is connected with an internal door...
    21-01-2019, 09:08 AM
  • Reply to Allowable tax expenses of sublet annexe
    Manya
    That’s really great! Thanks so much for your prompt response.
    23-01-2019, 12:29 PM
    jpkeates
    Will the advance rent make that much difference?
    If the rent starts on 1 Feb, three months will be in 2018/19 tax year anyway, so it's "only" three month's rent you're looking to shift.

And regarding hacked off accountants, I make it a rule to get my return in during the...
    23-01-2019, 12:05 PM
    Claymore
    I do have an accountant and he is really p'd off with me at the moment. I have been really late in getting my info to him. Totally my own fault and if he doesn't accept my promises for the future, I'm going to have to find a new accountant. So, I'm p'd off with myself too and I darent ask him anything...
    23-01-2019, 11:34 AM
    leaseholder64
    I'm not sure HMRC would really like you switching each year, and if you do, there are steps you have to take to ensure that income doesn't slip through the net. You might get charged more by the accountant.
    23-01-2019, 11:32 AM
    Claymore
    OK, I think I understand that. I guess my accountant must submit my returns on a cash basis as I'm not a large company. So would I simply ask him to submit my tax returns on an 'Accruals' basis for 2018/2019 return?
    23-01-2019, 11:25 AM
    leaseholder64
    If you don't know, you should already be using an accountant, who does, to prepare your accounts. Ask them.

However, with traditional accounting, as required for all limited companies and for larger non-limited businesses, money is only treated as income when it becomes payable. The advance...
    23-01-2019, 11:22 AM
    jpkeates
    There are two ways of accounting for a landlord.

The cash basis, where you treat income and outgoings as they happen (so you record rent when it's paid, not when it's due) and Accruals (which is how larger companies work) where you treat income and outgoings as though you were an actual...
    23-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Working...
X