That time of year ,,,,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That time of year ,,,,

its that time of year that I submit our tax returns (yes I know I should do it sooner !!) our profits aren't massive but since my wife has stopped working we can at least claim her full allowance due to a 99/1% split, properly notified etc a couple of years ago.

t still leaves us with a tax bill (this year around 1k) but next year probably closer to 4 or 5k, unless we invest in more property and renovations (required works not improvements ...) can anyone recommend any good guides to utilising a private pension scheme that would reduce the tax burden, she is 57 and doesn't have a company or private pension.

I don't think pensions can invest in residential property, but commercial or agricultural is OK.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

thanks but I was thinking more along the lines of her investing in a private pension scheme to bring the burden down and to gain some additional benefit in doing so (in later years if necessary)

Comment

Have you seen this stuff on gov.uk website :?

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-your-priva...ion-tax-relief

May be a magazine from WH Smiths can help you ?

Comment

ive just ordered a couple of tax café books, thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• SDLT impact of varying ownership % of jointly held with spouse mortgaged property
            Stu2222
            Hi All

I've been through many of the historic posts but haven't found a clear answer to this point (but happy to be pointed in the right direction).

I jointly hold a mortgaged investment property with my wife, 50/50 as joint tenants and both on the BTL mortgage. 50% of the...
            15-01-2018, 16:57 PM
          • Reply to SDLT impact of varying ownership % of jointly held with spouse mortgaged property
            Kape65
            Don't use the word 'gifted'! You aren't gifting her anything, you are transferring another 49% of the debt to her. If she owns other property and the 49% is above 40k then she will have to pay at least 3% surcharge on the full amount.
            20-01-2018, 23:34 PM
          • Reply to SDLT impact of varying ownership % of jointly held with spouse mortgaged property
            Gordon999
            If you + wife are registered as "joint tenants" at Land Registry , the Tax Office will automatically assume that each "joint tenant" is entitle to 50% of the rental income.

You can change the distribution of income to 1%: 99% by producing a "Declaration of Trust"...
            19-01-2018, 19:56 PM
          • VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
            Dan_Manchester
            Evening all,

We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

The planners have requested...
            16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
          • Reply to VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
            Gordon999
            VAT is chargeable by the company providing service to you. The VAT charge is not decided by you.

You have to register as developer with the HMRC VAT office so that you can claim back VAT paid to the company for the building work and supply of building materials. VAT paid for professional...
            19-01-2018, 19:35 PM
          • Capital Gains Tax !
            columbo
            Ok you clever people , I could make this very long but I will try and keep it short , How do you no or find out if you have to pay this tax ? I have a few property,s and would like to sell the largest one but have been told if I'm not the payer of the bills I only have 18 months and then its not my...
            19-01-2018, 14:20 PM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax !
            Gordon999
            If you have lived in the property for 21 years out of 23 years , the tax office will give exemption to capital gains tax for 21 years + 18 months from date of moving out. So only the gain for last 6 months is taxable.

If your capital gain over 23 years gives you £460,000 profit which...
            19-01-2018, 19:16 PM
            columbo
            Thank you .
            19-01-2018, 16:49 PM
            AndrewDod
            Then your CGT bill will almost certainly be zero.

Unless it is an extremely expensive property and increased in value by at least a million or so (given two basic CGT exemptions) -- if that is the case you will need to look at precise numbers.

Can you prove it was your only...
            19-01-2018, 16:46 PM
            columbo
            Thanks for your replys , The house was our main living house until 2 years ago when we down sized ,we never rented the house out as tried to sell it but it fell threw a couple of times so no we never rented this house , Our tax records are all complete and up to date with the other propertys , We don't...
            19-01-2018, 16:27 PM
          Working...
          X