That time of year ,,,,

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That time of year ,,,,

its that time of year that I submit our tax returns (yes I know I should do it sooner !!) our profits aren't massive but since my wife has stopped working we can at least claim her full allowance due to a 99/1% split, properly notified etc a couple of years ago.

t still leaves us with a tax bill (this year around 1k) but next year probably closer to 4 or 5k, unless we invest in more property and renovations (required works not improvements ...) can anyone recommend any good guides to utilising a private pension scheme that would reduce the tax burden, she is 57 and doesn't have a company or private pension.

I don't think pensions can invest in residential property, but commercial or agricultural is OK.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

thanks but I was thinking more along the lines of her investing in a private pension scheme to bring the burden down and to gain some additional benefit in doing so (in later years if necessary)

Comment

Have you seen this stuff on gov.uk website :?

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-your-priva...ion-tax-relief

May be a magazine from WH Smiths can help you ?

Comment

ive just ordered a couple of tax café books, thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
            multipropertyguy
            I own a number of properties, earn over the 40% threshold, trade as a private individual and do a self assessment return each year for Land & Property.

Now, I'm looking at a new property, but commercial this time, I'm 50/50 about setting up a Ltd company to purchase the new property...
            11-07-2018, 13:17 PM
          • Reply to Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
            loanarranger
            A limited company doesn’t have to have been operating before you buy your first property within it, indeed many lenders will use your personal involvement in Property as a measure of credibility.
            If you decide to include your children , are they over 17 years of age and what percentage will...
            11-07-2018, 20:04 PM
          • Capital gains sale
            leehen
            Hello

Wonder if you can help.

I own a currently rented out property and looking to sell.

Its a little confusing hence my question.

So to run down a timeline

March 14 - bought the flat on a shared ownership basis - 50% of full value of...
            07-07-2018, 20:10 PM
          • Reply to Capital gains sale
            Gordon999
            Your total buying cost = GBP 163K . So if you sell at 280K , then your total gain = 280K-163K = GBP 117K .

Your total period of ownership from Mar 14 to Sept 2018 = 4 years + 6 Months = 4.5 years..

Your period of former main residence = March 14 -April 16 + 18 Months from...
            09-07-2018, 19:48 PM
            leehen
            Hi
            Thanks for your reply
            Estimated sale price is 280,000.
            Thanks
            Lee
            09-07-2018, 18:14 PM
            Gordon999
            What is the estimated asking price / sale value in Jul 2018 ?
            08-07-2018, 18:52 PM
          • Joint Tennant implications for non married ownership
            Berkshire45
            hello I am hoping that someone knows about the complex situation where 2 non related and non married people own a property. the question is about CGT as the property is not rented currently.

2 people are listed on a property title deeds, person 1 is not receiving any benefits from the...
            01-07-2018, 08:14 AM
          • Reply to Joint Tennant implications for non married ownership
            Gordon999
            Berkshire 45 ,

Here are my comments :

1. The caital gains tax is Nil % rate for capital gain acquired during the period of owner occupier whilst the non-occupier can be charged tax at 18 % or 28%.on balance after deducting the free allowance.of GBP 11.5K

So when...
            08-07-2018, 08:21 AM
          • Claiming for Travel and Subsistence Costs
            Martin Purches
            Hi - I'm a new member so forgive me for asking a question which I'm sure has come up before.

I own buy to let holiday lets which are 200 miles from my home. When I travel to them for maintenance/inspections etc I claim the mileage (45ppm plus 5ppp passenger).

I'm unclear though...
            01-06-2018, 08:20 AM
          • Reply to Claiming for Travel and Subsistence Costs
            bhodgkiss
            Exactly DPT57, it does make it pointless, unless youre in the 40% tax bracket and your partner owns the holiday let and is in the 20% bracket?
            Also its not actually clear whats going on - the OP travels 200 miles from his main home to do repair work, so how then does he repair the main home at...
            05-07-2018, 12:44 PM
          Working...
          X