Declaration of Trust a step by step process

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by daxu View Post
    I think I worked it out now.
    For simple cases (changing from joint tenants to tenants in common), I should
    1. fill in form SEV
    2. fill in declaration of trust document correctly.
    3. Send both doc to land registry
    4. fill in form 17 and send to hmrc

    Think it is all I need to do.

    I think if you + wife are already registered as " joint tenants" , there is no need to change the registration at Land Registry.

    The Tax Office will consider your rental profit is split 50/50 but you can change the rental profit distribution by producing a "trust document" or "declaration" and using Form 17 to inform the Tax Office of the commencing date ( which cannot be back-dated.) . Not necessary to submit any docs to Land Registry.


    Latest Activity


    • SDLT impact of varying ownership % of jointly held with spouse mortgaged property
      Hi All

      I've been through many of the historic posts but haven't found a clear answer to this point (but happy to be pointed in the right direction).

      I jointly hold a mortgaged investment property with my wife, 50/50 as joint tenants and both on the BTL mortgage. 50% of the...
      15-01-2018, 16:57 PM
    • Reply to SDLT impact of varying ownership % of jointly held with spouse mortgaged property
      If you + wife are registered as "joint tenants" at Land Registry , the Tax Office will automatically assume that each "joint tenant" is entitle to 50% of the rental income.

      You can change the distribution of income to 1%: 99% by producing a "Declaration of Trust"...
      19-01-2018, 19:56 PM
    • VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
      Evening all,

      We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

      The planners have requested...
      16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
    • Reply to VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
      VAT is chargeable by the company providing service to you. The VAT charge is not decided by you.

      You have to register as developer with the HMRC VAT office so that you can claim back VAT paid to the company for the building work and supply of building materials. VAT paid for professional...
      19-01-2018, 19:35 PM
    • Capital Gains Tax !
      Ok you clever people , I could make this very long but I will try and keep it short , How do you no or find out if you have to pay this tax ? I have a few property,s and would like to sell the largest one but have been told if I'm not the payer of the bills I only have 18 months and then its not my...
      19-01-2018, 14:20 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax !
      If you have lived in the property for 21 years out of 23 years , the tax office will give exemption to capital gains tax for 21 years + 18 months from date of moving out. So only the gain for last 6 months is taxable.

      If your capital gain over 23 years gives you £460,000 profit which...
      19-01-2018, 19:16 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax !
      Thank you .
      19-01-2018, 16:49 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax !
      Then your CGT bill will almost certainly be zero.

      Unless it is an extremely expensive property and increased in value by at least a million or so (given two basic CGT exemptions) -- if that is the case you will need to look at precise numbers.

      Can you prove it was your only...
      19-01-2018, 16:46 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax !
      Thanks for your replys , The house was our main living house until 2 years ago when we down sized ,we never rented the house out as tried to sell it but it fell threw a couple of times so no we never rented this house , Our tax records are all complete and up to date with the other propertys , We don't...
      19-01-2018, 16:27 PM
    • Reply to Capital Gains Tax !
      Paying of (utility) bills has nothing whatsoever to do with ownership with respect to Capital gains.

      If you lived there for 23 years and rented it out for 2 years, GCT would almost certainly be zero.

      But you seem not to have lived there - or did you????. The amount of time...
      19-01-2018, 16:25 PM