Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declaration of Trust a step by step process

Hi,
    I am trying to clean my mind regarding to how to do Declaration of Trust.

Say me and my wife owns a property 50:50 at the present and wants to change to 1:99

I think this is what we need to do if we want to DIY it:

1. download a Declaration of Trust.template and fill in with all the needed details.
    2. Inform land registry by filling a form, but I am not 100% sure which form should we use, is it TP1, TR1, AR1 or RX3 and ST5 as someone suggested in some other places?
    3. infrom HMRC with form 17.

Also is there a time limit on when I need should send the forms to land registry? I know that form 17 has a six month time limit. Does the same apply for land registry forms?

Many Thanks

Actually, I just found this link:
    https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ow...-joint-tenants

Seems I don't even need any land register form at all.

Comment

If you don't know what you are doing , you should consult a conveyancing solicitor. Its not an area for DIY.

Comment

Hi,
        I actually think if I can get this right for once myself, I will know how to do this in future without paying a solicitor.

There are templates I can buy from Internet to setup declaration of trust, so must be possible to do whole thing myself.

Comment

How do you own the property at present?
          Joint tenants or tenants in common?
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Joint tenants, thanks

Comment

I think I worked it out now.
              For simple cases (changing from joint tenants to tenants in common), I should
              1. fill in form SEV
              2. fill in declaration of trust document correctly.
              3. Send both doc to land registry
              4. fill in form 17 and send to hmrc

Think it is all I need to do.

Comment

Is there a mortgage on the property?

Comment

yes, there is a mortgage, but I think it doesn't really matter as both name will still on deed (at least this is what I was told when I talked to some solicitors).

Comment

See the link below for further things that you need to consider.

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ip-change-sdlt

Comment

Hi,
                      I just looked my copy of title, it says these:

No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered by an order of the court.

No disposition of the registered estate by the proprietor of the registered estate is to be registered without a written consent signed by the proprietor for the time being of the charge dated xxxx in favor of bank of xxxx referred in the charges register.

Frankly I don't really understand what above sentences really mean. At the moment, my wife and I are joint tenants, do above sentences mean we have to consult the bank before creating trust deed?

Many thanks

Comment

If you don't know what those terms mean, you probably shouldn't be creating your own deed of trust.

You are absolutely right that you can do it yourself.
                        And deeds of trust are simple, and won't cause any issue if things go to plan - because you and your wife are the only people affected by it.

The issue is what happens if something doesn't go as expected.
                        You separate or one of you dies.

There are other things that might be affected - wills are usually an issue, and some mortgage terms don't allow a change in beneficial ownership (rather than title) and that needs to be checked out.

It's simply not something I would take any chances with - property is very high value and has consequently high costs of getting things wrong.
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

you are very right, I am leaning to get this done by a professional now

Comment

hi,if this helps anyone (at least people like me who don't know much), I contacted the bank and they said that I don't need to consult them if just to do a tenants in common.

Also they don't even have a problem to remove a name from buy to let mortgage, you don't need to pay any charges, but you do need to pay a solicitor that arranged by the bank (for my bank is like 250+vat).

So it is not that scary as I thought.

Comment

are you trying to change the ownership of the property or to simply allocate profits in a tax efficient manner ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
                                multipropertyguy
                                I own a number of properties, earn over the 40% threshold, trade as a private individual and do a self assessment return each year for Land & Property.

Now, I'm looking at a new property, but commercial this time, I'm 50/50 about setting up a Ltd company to purchase the new property...
                                11-07-2018, 13:17 PM
                              • Reply to Buying new commercial, set up Ltd co?
                                loanarranger
                                A limited company doesn’t have to have been operating before you buy your first property within it, indeed many lenders will use your personal involvement in Property as a measure of credibility.
                                If you decide to include your children , are they over 17 years of age and what percentage will...
                                11-07-2018, 20:04 PM
                              • Capital gains sale
                                leehen
                                Hello

Wonder if you can help.

I own a currently rented out property and looking to sell.

Its a little confusing hence my question.

So to run down a timeline

March 14 - bought the flat on a shared ownership basis - 50% of full value of...
                                07-07-2018, 20:10 PM
                              • Reply to Capital gains sale
                                Gordon999
                                Your total buying cost = GBP 163K . So if you sell at 280K , then your total gain = 280K-163K = GBP 117K .

Your total period of ownership from Mar 14 to Sept 2018 = 4 years + 6 Months = 4.5 years..

Your period of former main residence = March 14 -April 16 + 18 Months from...
                                09-07-2018, 19:48 PM
                                leehen
                                Hi
                                Thanks for your reply
                                Estimated sale price is 280,000.
                                Thanks
                                Lee
                                09-07-2018, 18:14 PM
                                Gordon999
                                What is the estimated asking price / sale value in Jul 2018 ?
                                08-07-2018, 18:52 PM
                              • Joint Tennant implications for non married ownership
                                Berkshire45
                                hello I am hoping that someone knows about the complex situation where 2 non related and non married people own a property. the question is about CGT as the property is not rented currently.

2 people are listed on a property title deeds, person 1 is not receiving any benefits from the...
                                01-07-2018, 08:14 AM
                              • Reply to Joint Tennant implications for non married ownership
                                Gordon999
                                Berkshire 45 ,

Here are my comments :

1. The caital gains tax is Nil % rate for capital gain acquired during the period of owner occupier whilst the non-occupier can be charged tax at 18 % or 28%.on balance after deducting the free allowance.of GBP 11.5K

So when...
                                08-07-2018, 08:21 AM
                              • Claiming for Travel and Subsistence Costs
                                Martin Purches
                                Hi - I'm a new member so forgive me for asking a question which I'm sure has come up before.

I own buy to let holiday lets which are 200 miles from my home. When I travel to them for maintenance/inspections etc I claim the mileage (45ppm plus 5ppp passenger).

I'm unclear though...
                                01-06-2018, 08:20 AM
                              • Reply to Claiming for Travel and Subsistence Costs
                                bhodgkiss
                                Exactly DPT57, it does make it pointless, unless youre in the 40% tax bracket and your partner owns the holiday let and is in the 20% bracket?
                                Also its not actually clear whats going on - the OP travels 200 miles from his main home to do repair work, so how then does he repair the main home at...
                                05-07-2018, 12:44 PM
                              Working...
                              X