Which tax year?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Which tax year?

    Got myself a bit confused over this one.....

    Just had a boiler replaced in a property I let out. British Gas (through Barclays) have given me two years interest free repayments to pay it off fully over the two year period (total of £4,000). So, the boiler has been installed and I've entered into a contract to pay it off (this all happened in December 2017, so 17/18 tax year).

    Here's the question......can I put the £4,000 down in expenses for the tax year 17/18 even though the money will be leaving my account on a monthly basis for the next two years? I know for a fact that my income will be significantly less (under £10,000 so tax free) during the tax years 18/19 and 19/20 so it would make a lot more sense for me to claim it as an expense in the 17/18 tax year when my income will be about £17,000.

    Hope that makes sense and if anybody has any knowledge or experience of this I'd love to hear it!


    What is the date on their invoice? I think that drives the tax-year. That you have a finance arrangement to pay it is an entirely separate matter.
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      The expense was incurred on the invoice date, and the debt is a separate liability.
      It depends on how you complete your accounts.

      If you use the cash basis for your accounts, you account for it as you pay it.
      If you use the accounting basis, you would normally incur the cost on the invoice date, but could (if you do this for other payments) spread the cost over the term of the debt.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        I would transfer a sum corresponding to the cost of British Gas bill from your "rental account" to another private account and enter the bill as having been paid in your " rental records". In this way the BG cost is claimed against the 2017/2018 rental income.

        You would repay BG from your private account over the next 2 years.


          £4000! Wow... hope it was gold-plated.


            Thanks very much all, that's a relief that I can offset it against my 17/18 tax. That is, assuming it is an allowable expense.....that's another question so I'll ask about that in a new post!


            Latest Activity


            • SDLT impact of varying ownership % of jointly held with spouse mortgaged property
              Hi All

              I've been through many of the historic posts but haven't found a clear answer to this point (but happy to be pointed in the right direction).

              I jointly hold a mortgaged investment property with my wife, 50/50 as joint tenants and both on the BTL mortgage. 50% of the...
              15-01-2018, 16:57 PM
            • Reply to SDLT impact of varying ownership % of jointly held with spouse mortgaged property
              If you + wife are registered as "joint tenants" at Land Registry , the Tax Office will automatically assume that each "joint tenant" is entitle to 50% of the rental income.

              You can change the distribution of income to 1%: 99% by producing a "Declaration of Trust"...
              19-01-2018, 19:56 PM
            • VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
              Evening all,

              We have recently submitted a planning application to convert a small commercial unit in a couple of new apartments. As I understand it the building work will be zero-rated for VAT as we are creating dwellings were none were previously.

              The planners have requested...
              16-01-2018, 20:20 PM
            • Reply to VAT on professional fees - commercial to residential planning application
              VAT is chargeable by the company providing service to you. The VAT charge is not decided by you.

              You have to register as developer with the HMRC VAT office so that you can claim back VAT paid to the company for the building work and supply of building materials. VAT paid for professional...
              19-01-2018, 19:35 PM
            • Capital Gains Tax !
              Ok you clever people , I could make this very long but I will try and keep it short , How do you no or find out if you have to pay this tax ? I have a few property,s and would like to sell the largest one but have been told if I'm not the payer of the bills I only have 18 months and then its not my...
              19-01-2018, 14:20 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax !
              If you have lived in the property for 21 years out of 23 years , the tax office will give exemption to capital gains tax for 21 years + 18 months from date of moving out. So only the gain for last 6 months is taxable.

              If your capital gain over 23 years gives you £460,000 profit which...
              19-01-2018, 19:16 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax !
              Thank you .
              19-01-2018, 16:49 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax !
              Then your CGT bill will almost certainly be zero.

              Unless it is an extremely expensive property and increased in value by at least a million or so (given two basic CGT exemptions) -- if that is the case you will need to look at precise numbers.

              Can you prove it was your only...
              19-01-2018, 16:46 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax !
              Thanks for your replys , The house was our main living house until 2 years ago when we down sized ,we never rented the house out as tried to sell it but it fell threw a couple of times so no we never rented this house , Our tax records are all complete and up to date with the other propertys , We don't...
              19-01-2018, 16:27 PM
            • Reply to Capital Gains Tax !
              Paying of (utility) bills has nothing whatsoever to do with ownership with respect to Capital gains.

              If you lived there for 23 years and rented it out for 2 years, GCT would almost certainly be zero.

              But you seem not to have lived there - or did you????. The amount of time...
              19-01-2018, 16:25 PM