Tax implication of switching mid-year from rent-a-room to letting out whole flat

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax implication of switching mid-year from rent-a-room to letting out whole flat

Hello. I have a mortgaged two-bed flat. This tax year (17/18), I have rented a room to a lodger. The income from that will be below the £7,500 rent-a-room tax threshold.

However, I am possibly about to go abroad for work, and so will need to let the whole flat. If I let the whole flat in March, i.e. in this tax year, would that then invalidate the rent-a-room exemption? That is, would I then need to pay tax (less expenses) on the income I've had this year from my lodger?

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks

You should contact the tax office for advice if switching mid-year, to ascertain if you lose the rent-a -room allowance or not.

Its better if you want to keep the rent a room allowance for 2017-2018 , to vacate your own residence at end of March 2018 and start the rental of your flat from April 2018 onwards ( and register yourself as a non-resident landlord with HMRC so that you can receive the rental income without tax deduction by letting agent )..

Not what you asked but if the lodger stays on they become a tenant and wouldn't switch back to a lodger on your return.

Latest Activity

• Capital gains tax when selling old residence under 3 year rule for 3% SDLT refund
        Apologies if this has been already discussed but couldn't find any good results.

I had to pay additional 3% under SDLT additional property rule, At the time i didn't sell as wasn't getting decent offers so been renting out for a over a year now. Given the tax man is all coming after landlords...
        19-03-2018, 15:00 PM
      • Additional Stamp duty
        Last year I changed my main residence to a buy to let mortgage and brought a new house as my main residence. My solicitor said that I must pay additional stamp duty so I paid the additional 3%. However I was buying a new residential main address, not a buy to let. I do also own another property that...
        15-03-2018, 09:54 AM
      • Reply to Additional Stamp duty
        You should have noted the link stated

" but a rebate would have been available as long as the main residence not yet sold was sold within three years of buying the new one".

So if you want to claim back the 3% extra sdlt paid on your current house , you must sell...
        19-03-2018, 00:24 AM
      • Declaration of bare trust for tax planning
        I own a buy-to-let property with mortgage in my sole name. I'm a 40% taxpayer and my wife doesn't have income. I would like to write a declaration of bare trust to transfer the beneficial ownership to my wife to use her tax allowance, but I will remain the sole legal owner on the title.
        1. Is a declaration
        11-03-2018, 22:46 PM
      • Reply to Declaration of bare trust for tax planning
        Thanks for your replies!

I thought as mortgage remains with me (and I'll still be the sole legal owner) and the DoT is private, so the lender is not affected and I don't have to notify them. But I learnt that for HMRC, apart from declaration of trust, usually the rental income needs to...
        18-03-2018, 16:40 PM
        So the reply in this link by the guardian is incorrect? Because innthis example a home owner who is selling his main residence and buying another main residence has been informed he won’t need to pay additional stamp duty even tho he owns 2 BTL also.
        15-03-2018, 15:36 PM
        You will pay 3% extra on any additional new property, as you will still have more than one property. The tax would apply as mentioned regardless of whether you had a rental portfolio or not e.g. You have a main residence and decide to buy a holiday home in Cornwall, you pay 3% additional stamp duty...
        15-03-2018, 15:14 PM
        Thanks for the help.

I also raise this issue because I am relocating to London and looking to buy. I obviously don’t want to pay additional stamp duty so I will sell my main residence to help fund the move to London and therefor avoid additional stamp duty as per the link I sent explains....
        15-03-2018, 14:32 PM
        As per jpkeates - the answer is yes you pay. This is specifically a tax that hits more vulnerable people (and some not vulnerable ones) - people with uncertain lives who cannot afford or cannot commit to buying their own homes -- but who happen to have bought a property (or perhaps inherited even a...
        15-03-2018, 12:14 PM
        But you haven't sold / replaced your main residence.
        You kept it and bought a new property.

So the exemption quoted in the article doesn't apply.
        15-03-2018, 11:43 AM