CGT on selling property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT on selling property

    I just sold my property and needed some tax advise on what I can claim, heres a breakdown:

    Property Purchased in Dec 2007 for £250k
    Property Sold in July 2017 for £410k

    I lived in the property from June 2008 till May 2009 (9 months)
    During this time I renovated the property, run out of funds and couldn't afford to live there, so moved back in with my parents. So I rented the property out from April 2009 till it got sold in July 2017

    Am I able to claim any PRR or Lettings relief, I have no idea how to work this out?

    Heres my cost:

    Annual Salary 42k

    - Capital Improvement cost 60k
    - Solicitors fee and stamp duty 4k
    - Estate agent fees 3k


    Your capital gain will be 410K - 250K ( purchase cost ) - 60K ( renovation cost ) - 4K-3K = £ 93K ( from Dec 2007 to July 2017 ).

    Your capital gains tax to pay = 93K - 11K ( annual allowance ) = £ 82K @ 28% = £ 23K ( rough estimate).

    I think you do not qualify for PPR because "main residence" requires a longer stay than 8 or 9 months and as you say, you cannot afford to live there .

    But you should consult a tax accountant to advise you on possibility of claiming PPR before you submit your 2016/2017 tax return. ( deadline is on 31st Jan 2018 ) .


      If your intention when you moved into the property was to use it as your main residence then PPR is available for the period of actual occupation and the last 18 months of ownership.

      Lettings relief will also be available.


        At the time when you lived in the property did you have the utilities in your name, did you notify your bank of a change of address, what address did your employer have, did you get Royal Mail to redirect your post? There is no requirement that you have lived in the property for any particular period of time but you might need to fight it in court see e.g.


        Latest Activity


        • Van
          by jase222
          Hi, I am looking to buy a van solely for my rental business,
          I was looking at leasing a van and was wondering about the tax side and if I can claim the amount or is buying outright a better option.
          I am not a Ltd company and do simplified accounts for mileage.
          I would be grateful...
          27-10-2021, 04:32 AM
        • Reply to Van
          by AndrewDod
          As said unless you have at least 100 properties there is no way the van will be an allowable business expense. Stick to the ~50p/mile allowance....
          28-10-2021, 00:00 AM
        • Reply to Van
          by royw
          If you have another car they're more likely to accept the van as solely business use.
          27-10-2021, 17:57 PM
        • Reply to Van
          by jpkeates
          The safest thing of all is to simply claim the mileage allowance.

          To claim for a proper split in costs, you might be asked to show mileage records for all your business trips, which should match the proportion claimed.
          You'd also have to log the operating costs if you're going to...
          27-10-2021, 15:03 PM
        • Reply to Van
          by jase222
          What would do is 80% business 20% private, if say a van was 200per month could I claim 160 as a expense? Or something else
          27-10-2021, 14:49 PM
        • How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
          by nick_noal
          Hi all,

          I own a buy to let property that is registered in a limited company and I would like to set up a regular overpayment each month to reduce the balance of the mortgage.

          When it comes to submitting the annual accounts, how would this overpayment be accounted...
          24-10-2021, 21:41 PM
        • Reply to How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
          by Gordon999
          The net profit of £400 = £4800 per year which is subject to corporation tax at 19%. = £912.

          So reduction of mortgage loan for first year will be £3888...
          27-10-2021, 09:21 AM
        • Reply to Van
          by jpkeates
          Unless you have a huge portfolio or a very unusual business, HMRC isn't going to accept a vehicle as a legitimate business expense for a property investment business.

          They may never notice if you do your own returns, and you can claim the mileage that's solely for the business.
          27-10-2021, 08:21 AM
        • Reply to Van
          by Section20z
          Leasing every time - and allocate to the business.

          "If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, rent it"
          27-10-2021, 08:02 AM
        • Reply to How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
          by nick_noal

          Thanks for your help 👍
          26-10-2021, 18:40 PM