Removal of conservatory - tax deductible against rental profits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removal of conservatory - tax deductible against rental profits?

Hi everyone,

It's that time of year ...

Any views please as to whether I can claim the cost of removing an old conservatory against my rental profits? The background is that I bought a property a couple of years ago with an old wooden conservatory attached. The conservatory was already in poor condition, so I let the property out with the tenant happy to have use of the conservatory on an "as is" basis. Time passed, and it became clear that the wooden frame had rotted so much that the conservatory couldn't realistically be repaired, and I was concerned that it might become a danger to the tenant. So with the tenant's agreement I hired a builder to remove the conservatory and make good the patio where it had been by laying new flags, etc.

All well and good. My question now is whether I can claim the cost of removing the conservatory against my rental profits? My argument is that the primary motivation behind removing the conservatory was to maintain the rental business by keeping the property safe, rather than to improve the property. Also, my understanding is that if I had replaced the conservatory with a new UPVC one then I could (is this right?) have claimed this cost on the "nearest modern equivalent" basis, in which case it would seem odd not to be able to claim the cost of simply removing the conservatory and not replacing it. But I haven't found any definitive guidance either way on this point.

Also, if I was to decide that the cost was deductible, how is the best practical way to deal with this in my tax return if the point isn't 100% clear? Should I include a note explaining what I have done and why, so that if HMRC were ever to challenge the deduction then at least I would have been open and up front about my reasoning?

Many thanks.

You are responsible for ensuring the safety of your tenant living in your flat and I think the cost of removal must be an allowable expense against rental income.

Comment

Thank you, Gordon999.

Comment

On the basis the conservatory was removed as it was a hindrance to letting of the property, you have grounds to claim the expense a deduction from rental profits. Your case is similar to the Samuel Jones case in the following HMRC guidance, where a chimney was removed partly for safety reasons.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/bim35467

As for disclosing the expense on your tax return - I'm a chartered tax advisor and I would not make a white space note on the return. You have reasonable grounds to claim the expense so I would not advise making further disclosure to HMRC.

Comment

Thanks very much, Sean, for such a helpful response. I'd done a lot of googling but hadn't come across that case before!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Van
            by AndrewDod
            As said unless you have at least 100 properties there is no way the van will be an allowable business expense. Stick to the ~50p/mile allowance....
            28-10-2021, 00:00 AM
          • Van
            by jase222
            Hi, I am looking to buy a van solely for my rental business,
            I was looking at leasing a van and was wondering about the tax side and if I can claim the amount or is buying outright a better option.
            I am not a Ltd company and do simplified accounts for mileage.
            I would be grateful...
            27-10-2021, 04:32 AM
          • Reply to Van
            by royw
            If you have another car they're more likely to accept the van as solely business use.
            27-10-2021, 17:57 PM
          • Reply to Van
            by jpkeates
            The safest thing of all is to simply claim the mileage allowance.

To claim for a proper split in costs, you might be asked to show mileage records for all your business trips, which should match the proportion claimed.
            You'd also have to log the operating costs if you're going to...
            27-10-2021, 15:03 PM
          • Reply to Van
            by jase222
            What would do is 80% business 20% private, if say a van was 200per month could I claim 160 as a expense? Or something else
            27-10-2021, 14:49 PM
          • Reply to How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
            by Gordon999
            The net profit of £400 = £4800 per year which is subject to corporation tax at 19%. = £912.

So reduction of mortgage loan for first year will be £3888...
            27-10-2021, 09:21 AM
          • How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
            by nick_noal
            Hi all,

I own a buy to let property that is registered in a limited company and I would like to set up a regular overpayment each month to reduce the balance of the mortgage.

When it comes to submitting the annual accounts, how would this overpayment be accounted...
            24-10-2021, 21:41 PM
          • Reply to Van
            by jpkeates
            Unless you have a huge portfolio or a very unusual business, HMRC isn't going to accept a vehicle as a legitimate business expense for a property investment business.

They may never notice if you do your own returns, and you can claim the mileage that's solely for the business.
            27-10-2021, 08:21 AM
          • Reply to Van
            by Section20z
            Leasing every time - and allocate to the business.

"If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, rent it"
            27-10-2021, 08:02 AM
          • Reply to How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
            by nick_noal
            jpkeates,

Thanks for your help 👍
            26-10-2021, 18:40 PM
          Working...
          X