Is my window replacement can be claimed or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my window replacement can be claimed or not?

Hi,
    The flat I let out has three big old sash window in bath room. The windows were in a very bad condition (frames were rotten, one window was broken and all sills were rotten).

As the flat was in a conservation area, I wasn't allowed to replace with any upvc ones. The windows company told me that the windows can not be fixed and I will have to replace all of them if I want to solve the problems.

The old sash window are single glazed, and I was told that new windows will have to be double glazed.

The total cost to replace these windows are around 5000£ (expensive as it has to be very similar sash windows). Will I have any problem with claiming this as repair and maintenance? In self assessment, is says "Don't claim for any element of improvement compared with the original item". Will this count as improvement?

Many Thanks

I just googled and some people suggests that I can claim:

That said, HMRC treat the replacement with a `modern equivalent’ as a repair rather than an improvement, even if the replacement also improves the property. An example of this would be replacing old windows with double glazed windows. Likewise, a repair of an old asset using modern material materials is generally permitted as a deduction provided the new material is broadly equivalent to the old, such as replacing a wooden beam with a steel girder, even if doing so provides a measure of improvement.

Comment

If you bought the property recently and at a reduced price because of the condition of the windows, the cost is likely to be a captial expense.

If the property has been yours for a while and the replacement is simply due to age/use, their replacement is likely to be a repair/maintenance item and allowable against income.
      Some improvement is inevitable, moreso if the windows are old.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I bought the property 2 years ago, but it wasn't reduced price. I didn't really pay lots of attention to the broken windows (the broken bit were at the corner and had to notice). For rotten frames and sills, the window company pointed them out, as I thought it was just bit old, and maybe can be fixed with some diy work (turned out not).

Comment

Are you in a big block of flats or in a converted house ? What does your lease say about replacing wooden window frames ?
          Sometimes this work is arranged by the management company .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Van
            by AndrewDod
            As said unless you have at least 100 properties there is no way the van will be an allowable business expense. Stick to the ~50p/mile allowance....
            28-10-2021, 00:00 AM
          • Van
            by jase222
            Hi, I am looking to buy a van solely for my rental business,
            I was looking at leasing a van and was wondering about the tax side and if I can claim the amount or is buying outright a better option.
            I am not a Ltd company and do simplified accounts for mileage.
            I would be grateful...
            27-10-2021, 04:32 AM
          • Reply to Van
            by royw
            If you have another car they're more likely to accept the van as solely business use.
            27-10-2021, 17:57 PM
          • Reply to Van
            by jpkeates
            The safest thing of all is to simply claim the mileage allowance.

To claim for a proper split in costs, you might be asked to show mileage records for all your business trips, which should match the proportion claimed.
            You'd also have to log the operating costs if you're going to...
            27-10-2021, 15:03 PM
          • Reply to Van
            by jase222
            What would do is 80% business 20% private, if say a van was 200per month could I claim 160 as a expense? Or something else
            27-10-2021, 14:49 PM
          • Reply to How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
            by Gordon999
            The net profit of £400 = £4800 per year which is subject to corporation tax at 19%. = £912.

So reduction of mortgage loan for first year will be £3888...
            27-10-2021, 09:21 AM
          • How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
            by nick_noal
            Hi all,

I own a buy to let property that is registered in a limited company and I would like to set up a regular overpayment each month to reduce the balance of the mortgage.

When it comes to submitting the annual accounts, how would this overpayment be accounted...
            24-10-2021, 21:41 PM
          • Reply to Van
            by jpkeates
            Unless you have a huge portfolio or a very unusual business, HMRC isn't going to accept a vehicle as a legitimate business expense for a property investment business.

They may never notice if you do your own returns, and you can claim the mileage that's solely for the business.
            27-10-2021, 08:21 AM
          • Reply to Van
            by Section20z
            Leasing every time - and allocate to the business.

"If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, rent it"
            27-10-2021, 08:02 AM
          • Reply to How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
            by nick_noal
            jpkeates,

Thanks for your help 👍
            26-10-2021, 18:40 PM
          Working...
          X