how to work out stamp duty if I transfer my flat to wife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to work out stamp duty if I transfer my flat to wife?

Hi,
    My wife and I have a small flat which is let out at the moment. Say the flat is worth 100k and the mortgage on the flat is 50k.
    If I would like to transfer the flat to her (so she owns 100%), do we need to pay any stamp duty?
    I googled this and getting confused on how to work out the stamp duty to pay.

this is my calculation
    (100 -50) /2 = 25k.
    This is the debt consideration.
    As it is less than 40k, we won't need to pay any stamp duty.
    Is my understanding correct?

Many Thanks

Who owns the flat at the moment?
    In who's name is the mortgage?
    And why do you want to transfer it into your wife's name?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

hi,
      Both of us owns the flat and both names are on the mortgage. I am on high rate and she is on the standard rate.

I am thinking of solving the tax problem once for all (as I will pay more tax for the rental income). I know that I could setup a trust, but I don't think my wife will ever go for anyone else, so I have no problem just giving her the whole thing.

Her income should be enough to make the bank happy as the mortgage fairly low.

Comment

The lender won't allow you to transfer all of the title to your wife (I'd guess) as you'd have no security for the mortgage.
        So your wife would need to take out her own mortgage.

And if she dies (rather than leaving you) that might be more complicated.

That's often why a trust is useful - it's just simpler overall and more flexible.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

hi,

many thanks for your reply.

I am not sure I understand this " as you'd have no security for the mortgage.". The flat is still there and my wife has income as well. Does that not count as security?

I understand about the "Die" part, but if we go for a trust (say I own 1% and she owns 99%), won't it be very similar to she owns 100% anyway?

thanks again

Comment

I would say your sums are possibly correct as you will be giving her 25k of your debt, however I think if she owns another property such as a share in the matrimonial home then she will have to pay the 3% surcharge.

Comment

Originally posted by daxu View Post
              I am not sure I understand this " as you'd have no security for the mortgage.". The flat is still there and my wife has income as well. Does that not count as security?

I understand about the "Die" part, but if we go for a trust (say I own 1% and she owns 99%), won't it be very similar to she owns 100% anyway
              You would be liable for the whole mortgage (as a joint mortgage holder) and nothing would guarantee your loan.
              The lender is unlikely to allow the change - you could always ask them.
              The risk is remote, as the lender will have a charge on the property and wouldn't allow a change of ownership, but won't want to get involved in the mess were you to divorce or your wife die and leave the property to someone else.
              I'd just expect them to say no because there's no upside to them.

If the title and the mortgage were both in your wife's name, all would be well (assuming she could get the lender to agree the loan).

The trust would be a change in beneficial ownership, not the title ownership, but the lender might allow that (as it's reasonably common).
              The beauty of a trust is that you can simply rip it up at any point (as you would be all of the trustees and all of the beneficiaries).
              So you'd end the trust before you sold the property so you'd have two lots of CGT allowance.

Talk to an accountant or family solicitor - please don't take my word for it.
              You need someone who knows all of your circumstances.
              If you have children, an actual trust might beneficial for Inheritance tax purposes.

Comment

Stamp duty was discontinued over 5 years ago and the fee is now called "sdlt" . If you google "stamp duty" , you may not find the latest info.

If you sell your half share to wife the consideration is 50K. ( 50% of the market value )

If you gift your half share to wife , the consideration is 25K ( 50% of outstanding mortgage ).

If you can persuade the mortgage lender to accept your wife as the sole borrower , then you must get a conveyancing solicitor to quote for gifting of your half share to wife.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Van
                  by AndrewDod
                  As said unless you have at least 100 properties there is no way the van will be an allowable business expense. Stick to the ~50p/mile allowance....
                  28-10-2021, 00:00 AM
                • Van
                  by jase222
                  Hi, I am looking to buy a van solely for my rental business,
                  I was looking at leasing a van and was wondering about the tax side and if I can claim the amount or is buying outright a better option.
                  I am not a Ltd company and do simplified accounts for mileage.
                  I would be grateful...
                  27-10-2021, 04:32 AM
                • Reply to Van
                  by royw
                  If you have another car they're more likely to accept the van as solely business use.
                  27-10-2021, 17:57 PM
                • Reply to Van
                  by jpkeates
                  The safest thing of all is to simply claim the mileage allowance.

To claim for a proper split in costs, you might be asked to show mileage records for all your business trips, which should match the proportion claimed.
                  You'd also have to log the operating costs if you're going to...
                  27-10-2021, 15:03 PM
                • Reply to Van
                  by jase222
                  What would do is 80% business 20% private, if say a van was 200per month could I claim 160 as a expense? Or something else
                  27-10-2021, 14:49 PM
                • Reply to How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
                  by Gordon999
                  The net profit of £400 = £4800 per year which is subject to corporation tax at 19%. = £912.

So reduction of mortgage loan for first year will be £3888...
                  27-10-2021, 09:21 AM
                • How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
                  by nick_noal
                  Hi all,

I own a buy to let property that is registered in a limited company and I would like to set up a regular overpayment each month to reduce the balance of the mortgage.

When it comes to submitting the annual accounts, how would this overpayment be accounted...
                  24-10-2021, 21:41 PM
                • Reply to Van
                  by jpkeates
                  Unless you have a huge portfolio or a very unusual business, HMRC isn't going to accept a vehicle as a legitimate business expense for a property investment business.

They may never notice if you do your own returns, and you can claim the mileage that's solely for the business.
                  27-10-2021, 08:21 AM
                • Reply to Van
                  by Section20z
                  Leasing every time - and allocate to the business.

"If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, rent it"
                  27-10-2021, 08:02 AM
                • Reply to How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
                  by nick_noal
                  jpkeates,

Thanks for your help 👍
                  26-10-2021, 18:40 PM
                Working...
                X