Equipment purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equipment purchases

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I cant see a similar post.

Situation : I am redecorating a property after a tenant moves out, and to carry out that decoration I buy some equipment (for example a sander). The equipment is only used for the rental property, and afterwards is retained for any future refurbs.

Is it permissible to deduct the cost of the equipment against any profit from the rental for tax purposes ?

Thanks

richard

Yes

But it may or may not be plausible depending what you buy and how many properties it serves, and how likely it is that the stuff has no other use.

Comment

Surely it is a capital item, not a revenue item, although it might be covered by capital allowance legislation.

Comment

I don't think the tax office is likely to start quibbling over such small expenditure so long as you are actually submitting a return and paying taxes due.

Comment

I have 2 properties... and yes, I submit a tax return !!

I have claimed consumable stuff before - paint, brushes, poly-filler etc but wasn't sure if equipment is allowable since at the end of the day I now have some stuff that has some value (but it is genuinely solely for the rental properties).

I have had to buy a few minor pieces of equipment this year - a sander, heat gun, ear defenders - little stuff (<£25 each) but it soon adds up .

Comment

Anything you buy for first time and keep for 2 years or longer is treated as "capital expense" .

So if you buy a few tools to redecorate , after finish of work its best to sell everything for £1 to your next door neighbour and keep the receipt for sale of used tools in case tax man wants to check.

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-if-youre...ffice-property

Comment

Or I suppose I could sell them on ebay before the 2 year mark and claim the difference between the purchase and sale price ?

Thanks guys

Richard

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
                by Gordon999
                Corporation tax for large companies ( over £250K profit ) will be raised from 19% to 25% rate commencing from April 2023.
                30-11-2021, 21:35 PM
              • Will they raise taxes again?
                by JK0
                My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
                27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
              • Reply to Corporation Tax
                by Gordon999
                There seems to be 2 problems ( I am not an accountant ) :

(1.) The company has to pay £30,000 tax due to revaluation of property asset increased higher by £150,000 ( estimated). Does it have the cash in its bank account to pay ?

( 2) husband owns one third interest of property...
                30-11-2021, 14:09 PM
                by theartfullodger
                Taxes bound to go up, huge amounts to pay for Covid & BR*X*it. Death & taxes, death & taxes.

Holding off working out my position, wishing to remain cheerful for Christmas.

Best wishes to all...
                28-11-2021, 10:45 AM
                by Neelix
                ^^ please don’t take this the wrong way but £10 k down on what turnover or number of properties?

i’ve done a lot of EICRs and remedial work over the last 18 months and a lot of it was because properties hadn’t been inspected and some were just dangerous....
                28-11-2021, 10:29 AM
                by jpkeates
                I'm about £10k down and it's mostly electrical work.

I can't see this government putting up taxes anymore before the next election, although there's nothing to say that they won't figure out how to tax landlords more specifically - there's few votes lost there.

My candidate...
                28-11-2021, 10:07 AM
                by Neelix
                That's a lots of unsatisfactory EICR's and remedial work - so not annual costs!...
                28-11-2021, 09:00 AM
                by Neelix
                Wow.

So that must be lots of unsatisfactory reports and lots of remedial work.

so not annual Costa...
                28-11-2021, 08:31 AM
                by jpucng62
                Clearly you were a bit behind on your electrical work!...
                28-11-2021, 06:58 AM
                by JK0
                The EICR's cost around £12k in total....
                27-11-2021, 22:48 PM
              Working...
              X