Investment vs future tax

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Investment vs future tax

    Hello, This is my first year doing a tax return and I have employed a tax accountant. I invested roughly 19000 pounds on renewal and repairs to a block with three flats. The income of the block was less, roughly 17000 . My accountant listed a loss of roughly 2000 to be carried forward to the following year. I had thought that if I had invested so much that the whole amount 19000 would be counted as a loss and carried forward or set off against tax over the following years? Can anybody help , is the accountant correct?

    Yes , your accountant is correct. If you have no expenses , you would pay tax on £17,000 profit.

    The rental profit = 12 months Rent - Allowed Losses = £17000 - £19000 = £ 2000 loss to carry to next year's tax return .


      definitely cheaper not to pay an accountant at all and ask advice here and then do it yourself.

      but if I was going to pay an accountant...


        Improvements may be capital expenditure, unless incidental to repair. These are not entered on the tax return until the property is sold. The actual £19,000 may include both capital and income items, and be taxed under both regimes.

        Flat renovation allowance was abolished some years ago.


          Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
          be taxed under both regimes.
          Do you mean that some parts will be taxed under one and some under the other and not that some aspects will be taxed twice?


            It's a basic policy of tax law that you should not be taxed twice, so I meant that parts would be taxed one way and parts the other way.


              Apart from when you're taxed on your income, then you use that income to buy goods and services (upon which you pay tax), you invest that income (where you can be taxed on the proceeds or capital growth) and finally when you leave it in your estate, it can be taxed again before being paid out as an inheritance...



              Latest Activity


              • Will they raise taxes again?
                by JK0
                My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

                I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
                27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
              • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
                by JK0
                The EICR's cost around £12k in total....
                27-11-2021, 22:48 PM
              • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
                by Neelix
                14 EICRs isn’t going to dent the income from 14 properties

                its the void periods that cost you...
                27-11-2021, 22:37 PM
              • Reply to Corporation Tax
                by Thurrock1

                the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
                25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
              • Corporation Tax
                by Thurrock1
                Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
                My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
                He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
                23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
              • Reply to Corporation Tax
                by jpkeates
                If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
                24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
              • Reply to Corporation Tax
                by theartfullodger
                IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
                24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
              • Reply to Corporation Tax
                by Thurrock1
                Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

                It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
                24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
              • Reply to Corporation Tax
                by Gordon999
                The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

                After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
                24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
              • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
                by Neelix
                In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
                18-11-2021, 07:54 AM