Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax return advice needed

Hi,

I purchased my first btl in January 2016 which I refurbished and tenants moved in April 2016. I have completed my tax return for 2016-17 and was wondering if it was possible to carry forward costs from a previous tax year as the money for the refurb was spent at the end of a previous tax year (15-16) with no income at that point?

Any help and advice is much appreciated,

Pete

Refurbishment is complex - if it's betterment, it's a capital expense which you offset against any gain when you sell it.
    If you bought a property cheap and returned it to market state and value that would be betterment.

If it's simply routine maintenance (or replacement of new for old) it's an allowable cost which you treat as being incurred on the day the first tenancy began.

Or it's a combination of both.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi jpkeates,

Thank you for the reply. The work done was to bring the property to a lettable standard. Am I able backdate this and claim the expense in the tax year 2016-17 when the work was completed in the 2015-16 tax year before I had an income from tenants?

Cheers,

Pete

Comment

I don't believe you can backdate, no.

Unless you are carrying over losses, your income/allowable (non capital) expenses relate solely to the tax year in which they occurred. In other words, if you did not claim for expenses for letting property in the 15/16 tax year when you incurred them, then I don't believe you can claim for them now.

Although you had no income from tenants that year, if you were marketing a property during that year, you could have claimed as your business had technically started then. That's what I would have done.

I would just put this one down to experience.

Comment

ah... actually, check this out. You may be able to do this if you file before January:

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-t...ns/corrections

I would phone HMRC and see what they advise before I went to the bother of doing this. It may be nixed by things about your situation I'm not aware of.

Comment

Expenses are allowable for up to six years before starting letting.
            The business "starts" when your first tenant starts their first tenancy.

So if it was your first property, the expenses are deemed to have been incurred on day one of the first let.
            Whether they're allowable at all against expenses is determined by the type of work (see many other threads),
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I understood the OP to have already filed a tax return for the 15/16 year. If so, would it not be strange to claim expenses for that year in the 16/17 return when the previous return, which covers the expenses period, has no expenses listed? That's even if expenses up to 6 years prior are allowed.

Obviously, I might be wrong about them already having filed.

BTW, to the OP, jpkeates' comment raises an interesting point which is that if you already have property let and you incur expenses at any point for a further property you plan to let, you can claim those expenses before you have any lettings income on the second property. This is because HMRC consider all lettings to be part of the same business activity. Might come in useful if you acquire another property in the future while you let this one.

Comment

Originally posted by tatemono View Post
                I understood the OP to have already filed a tax return for the 15/16 year. If so, would it not be strange to claim expenses for that year in the 16/17 return when the previous return, which covers the expenses period, has no expenses listed? That's even if expenses up to 6 years prior are allowed.
                Unless the OP had other property let, the expenses aren't a business expense until the business starts, and therefore are simply personal expenditure until the status is changed by the start of the business.

Comment

If this was/is the OP's first property then when exactly is the business deemed to begin? Surely if the property is bought with a BTL mortgage then the business should begin on the day the mortgage completes, or maybe even prior to that if your claiming for solicitors fees etc.

Comment

If it was the landlord's first property, the business begins when the first tenant begins their first tenancy.

The existence of a BTL mortgage has no impact and doesn't create a business.
                    Any allowable expenses relating to the mortgage are claimable when the business begins as above.

Comment

If the business starts with the first tenant how do you claim for income related expenses prior to that? Can you claim for interest relief etc prior to first tenant?

Comment

If you have a lot of expenses to claim that may result in losses to carry forward for more that one year , try using an online accountant firm to do your tax return.

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post
                          If the business starts with the first tenant how do you claim for income related expenses prior to that? Can you claim for interest relief etc prior to first tenant?
                          You claim it all as if it fell on the first day of your business, which is the first tenant in the first property.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Let Property Campaign.
                            by theartfullodger
                            See..
                            https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/news/...erty-campaign/

Well done HMRC..

None of my business, and obviously not in anyway a criticism of anybody, but If I had had a friend who I found out had been fiddling tax for 16 years they'd no longer be my friend.
                            18-09-2021, 11:46 AM
                          • Let Property Campaign.
                            by armour
                            Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
                            13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
                            by armour
                            Fair enough. Thanks for your advice. It is on cash basis.

I guess it would only save her 50 odd quid anyway, maybe less than £80 once the fine and interest is added. I guess she'll have to swallow that.
                            Once again, thanks JP and Gordon for your help.
                            Chris
                            18-09-2021, 09:07 AM
                          • Reply to Overseas Landlords
                            by Santa Fe
                            Boletus, thank you.
                            17-09-2021, 18:37 PM
                          • Overseas Landlords
                            by Santa Fe
                            I'm from UK but live overseas and recently discovered that I should be registered as an overseas landlord. I've done a bit of research on what it involves and it seems a bit of a headache - tenants have to fill out forms and pay tax from their rent direct to HMRC. If anyone here is registered as an...
                            16-09-2021, 16:44 PM
                            by jpkeates
                            armour - Sorry, I don't know.
                            It might depend on whether you're accounting on the cash basis (in which case I suspect not) or the accrual basis (when it's possible).

But it's not something I ever got involved with when the W&T allowance existed, and all of the practical guidance...
                            17-09-2021, 11:43 AM
                            by armour
                            Thanks JP, that's clear. I'll put the bathroom in with the income tax then. I guess it's much of a muchness anyway as the associated reduction in interest and fine will probably equal out.

I have one last question, if you'd be so kind.

During the year she had to make the eviction,...
                            17-09-2021, 09:18 AM
                          • Reply to Overseas Landlords
                            by boletus
                            You fill out this form requesting to have rental income without deduction of tax and pay it yourself;

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dividuals-nrl1
                            16-09-2021, 17:26 PM
                            by jpkeates
                            The 10% was for furnishings, so built in stuff should be ok to claim.
                            The bathroom refurb depends on what was done if it was simply a replacement, it's maintenance, if it was a significant upgrade, it's likely to be part capital/part maintenance.
                            If it's a new bathroom, it's probably ca...
                            16-09-2021, 08:37 AM
                            by armour
                            Seems pretty clear there JP. I'll go ahead and alter my calculations

One more thing, My friend had a bathroom refurb and a built in oven and hob replaced during the period when the flat was let furnished. I'm pretty sure that these costs can be detucted in addition to the 10% W&T, but...
                            15-09-2021, 14:06 PM
                          Working...
                          X