carry forward losses- does it have to be in the next tax year ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carry forward losses- does it have to be in the next tax year ?

hello do i have to use carry forward losses the next year or can i decide which year to use them ? ,, obviously rental business has to continue ... my question is re my income will be below taxable amount with or without my carry forward losses for 2016/2017 thus it would be much more valuable to use losses in years when my income amount is taxable .. it seems the losses will be wasted if i have to use them in 2016/2017 tax year

It does not have to be in the next year but it does have to be in the next year you have a profit

For example you cannot

Year 1 : Loss = £100
    Year 2 : Profit = 10,000 but no other income therefore no tax paid
    Year 3 : Profit = 10,000 - subtract the £100 loss

So no you cannot do what you propose.

Also it is for all your properties, not one by one (and it is also your total income that determines your tax bracket not rental income).

Comment

damn.. thanks for response

Comment

it doesnt seem very fair ...

Comment

From your use of the word "losses" I wonder if you're confusing things. In deciding how much tax you pay, HMRC look at your total UK income no matter where it comes from. And they evaluate this year on year. If, in a particular tax year, the property side of your income alone made a loss, but you earned over your personal allowance through other income sources, it's perfectly fair that you pay tax for that year.

if your only income is property and you made an overall loss, you won't pay tax anyway because your income is negative. The fact that HMRC then let you carry that loss over seems to be to be entirely fair too... maybe too fair some would argue. What exactly is your complaint?

Comment

my complaint is that my total income for this year will be below £11,500 so no tax payable but for the next year it will be higher than that ... so what i find unfair is that you should be able to store tax losses to reduce tax payable above your personnel allowance in the first year that that occurs ..

Comment

you could write to the chancellor and suggest that it would be far simpler to wait until we're, say, 65 and then do the sums then for our working lifetimes all in one go instead of this silly year by year nonsense ;-)

Comment

it should be a simple policy that losses are against taxable income above the tax free threshold. everybody should have their allowance (even higher earners) and tax calculation should start above this level

Comment

"Losses" are not the same as income below a threshold.
                  A business loss is a loss, not earning enough to pay tax is low income.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    Thank you Gordon, didn't see your response this afternoon. I will look at this with fresh eyes tomorrow as it's late now.
                    I've put some figures in my reply to a post just now but answers below to your questions.

a] £80k Jan 2021 sale price.
                    b] As property purchased before...
                    08-12-2021, 00:55 AM
                  • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                    06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    Andrew, apologies only just seen your post [was it awaiting approval did you say?] answers are:

Purchased March 1982 as joint tenancy - so equal split of 33 1/3% each party
                    Parent 2 died September 2007 - as joint tenancy I inherited their share - so at this point I own 100% of property...
                    08-12-2021, 00:41 AM
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    JP Keates
                    I wasn't aware that refurbishment deductions only applied in terms of letting out the property. On the CGT calculator it asked 'How much have you spent on improvements since you became the property owner'.....

Here's the timeline:

March 1982 - 1992 3 Owners,...
                    07-12-2021, 18:01 PM
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    JP Keates et al - thank you very much for your assistance. I have this afternoon emailed an accountant to try and get an appointment urgently. I hadn't realised it was all so complicated and it was remiss of me to not be aware of the CGT changes made in 2020 due to not renting out the property. Thanks...
                    07-12-2021, 17:28 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    Refurbishment while you were living there is only allowable against CGT if it was solely and exclusively for the business, so if it was to prepare the property to be let, it would be OK.
                    If it was simply to improve what was then your home, it fails the basic test.

Get yourself to...
                    07-12-2021, 16:22 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    The probate resets a lot of the stuff, but my main response was unapproved
                    07-12-2021, 15:36 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    You are really short on detail:

Date (year & month) bought in joint names ______ (what % was yours then)
                    Date it converted to your sole name ______ (presumable date of death of parent 2?)
                    Declared vale at probate _________
                    Capital expenses between date of probate 2...
                    07-12-2021, 15:33 PM
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    We were all joint owners. Bought it with parents. I lived there for 10 years before buying own home. I became sole owner upon their deaths. Rented out since 2007-2019. Empty last two year as trying to sell. Hence I was off the landlord radar. I am now extremely worried by your statement that refurbishment...
                    07-12-2021, 14:53 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    Let us know the exact timescale and money involved year by year - I am sure some kind person (or even myself) with do a calculation for you so that you can assess the risks involved
                    07-12-2021, 14:33 PM
                  Working...
                  X