Scottish BTL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish BTL

Myself and wife have a joint mortgage on a BTL property in Inverness Scotland, we also live in Scotland. I am a 40% tax payer my wife is 20%. Is it possible to have the rent all payed to her for tax reasons or would we have to go 50-50 due to both our names on the BTL mortgage contract. I have looked in to tenants in common but this only applies in England.

This situation was raised in 2012 :

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...pouse-scotland

I suggest that you consult the Inverness tax office to ascertain their latest rules and if Form 17 is acceptable to their office.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Van
      by AndrewDod
      As said unless you have at least 100 properties there is no way the van will be an allowable business expense. Stick to the ~50p/mile allowance....
      28-10-2021, 00:00 AM
    • Van
      by jase222
      Hi, I am looking to buy a van solely for my rental business,
      I was looking at leasing a van and was wondering about the tax side and if I can claim the amount or is buying outright a better option.
      I am not a Ltd company and do simplified accounts for mileage.
      I would be grateful...
      27-10-2021, 04:32 AM
    • Reply to Van
      by royw
      If you have another car they're more likely to accept the van as solely business use.
      27-10-2021, 17:57 PM
    • Reply to Van
      by jpkeates
      The safest thing of all is to simply claim the mileage allowance.

To claim for a proper split in costs, you might be asked to show mileage records for all your business trips, which should match the proportion claimed.
      You'd also have to log the operating costs if you're going to...
      27-10-2021, 15:03 PM
    • Reply to Van
      by jase222
      What would do is 80% business 20% private, if say a van was 200per month could I claim 160 as a expense? Or something else
      27-10-2021, 14:49 PM
    • How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
      by nick_noal
      Hi all,

I own a buy to let property that is registered in a limited company and I would like to set up a regular overpayment each month to reduce the balance of the mortgage.

When it comes to submitting the annual accounts, how would this overpayment be accounted...
      24-10-2021, 21:41 PM
    • Reply to How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
      by Gordon999
      The net profit of £400 = £4800 per year which is subject to corporation tax at 19%. = £912.

So reduction of mortgage loan for first year will be £3888...
      27-10-2021, 09:21 AM
    • Reply to Van
      by jpkeates
      Unless you have a huge portfolio or a very unusual business, HMRC isn't going to accept a vehicle as a legitimate business expense for a property investment business.

They may never notice if you do your own returns, and you can claim the mileage that's solely for the business.
      27-10-2021, 08:21 AM
    • Reply to Van
      by Section20z
      Leasing every time - and allocate to the business.

"If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, rent it"
      27-10-2021, 08:02 AM
    • Reply to How is a mortgage overpayment accounted for?
      by nick_noal
      jpkeates,

Thanks for your help 👍
      26-10-2021, 18:40 PM
    Working...
    X