Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major works bill deduction

Hello!

I'm doing my first self assessment this year. I first let my property in May 2017, having paid a big bill for major external works late in 2014. These works were officially completed in May 2017, confirmed by the administration company, and are meant to be done every 7 years.

Based on this, am I allow to deduct to total bill of for the works during this tax year 2016-17 since the works were completed during the lease period? Should I instead deduct the proportional yearly amount since the amount should cover a 7 year period?

What about deducing buy to let mortgage product fee and/or exit fee of the previous mortgage to get that buy to let? Since they are cost I had to incur to let the property, can they be deducted?

Many thanks!

I would have thought the claim for the service charge should have been against 2014/15.

Comment

If your business income is under £15k, I believe you don't need to apportion over a number of years, and can just put it down in the year of the invoice date.
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        If your business income is under £15k, I believe you don't need to apportion over a number of years, and can just put it down in the year of the invoice date.
        Could you give some keywords for further research on this. I'm not a property investor, myself, but rentals in my block are around £1,200 - £1.300 pcm, so on the border of £15k p.a., and I'm pretty sure some landlords have portfolios. This seems to imply the need for a level of detail on the service charges that isn't currently reliably being provided, but I haven't heard any rumours of sub-landlords complaining because they cannot complete their tax returns. I imagine they are just allowing the billed service charge against tax. (I would have thought tax problems would have got them interested.)

Comment

It's the cash basis versus accruals basis. I did read recently that they were going to put the threshold up to £85k.
          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I'm doing my first self assessment this year. I first let my property in May 2017, having paid a big bill for major external works late in 2014. These works were officially completed in May 2017, confirmed by the administration company, and are meant to be done every 7 years.
            If your business began this year, you are going to struggle with any costs being backdated.

Costs can be backdated, but the business has to exist.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              It's the cash basis versus accruals basis. I did read recently that they were going to put the threshold up to £85k.
              How do you reconcile the payer only bringing the money into account when the money is spent on works with ICAEW TECH 03/11, which clearly shows the money as income, to the trust, when the money is due for payment, not when the work is done? Surely the same money should either be included on the accoutns for both sides, or excluded for both sides?

Also, it is my understanding that conveyancers will pro-rata the actual service charge money for the current year, but will not treat the value of any sinking fund as being returnable to the seller. Of course, the sinking fund should have an impact on the capital value, but that is simply reflected in the asking price, so would normally appears as part of a capital, rather than a revenue, item..

Note my practical experience on the latter point is about 30 years old, and I bought very close to the end of the financial year, so the seller essentially got to pay the full yearly contribution. However there was definitely no adjustment for the sinking fund..

If expenditure only qualifies for tax when the resulting work is done, what happens if you sell when the sinking fund has been building up for five or more years?

As I say, I'm not a property investor, so this doesn't directly affect me, but my lessor has never issued the annual statements that would make the position clearer, and has become erratic with account summaries, but, whilst they have other complaints, I've never heard of the leaseholders who are investors screaming for this information to complete their tax returns.

To the OP: I've assumed this is a residential property, but you don't actually say.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

How do you reconcile the payer only bringing the money into account when the money is spent on works with ICAEW TECH 03/11
                No idea, I'm afraid. I leave it to my accountant.

Comment

If your first let started in May 2017, you can only claim service charge payment apportioned from May 2017 onwards. You cannot claim cost of service charge paid in 2014 for building external decoration before the commencement date of your letting business .

But you should consult a tax accountant on how to prepare your 2017-2018 tax return.next year.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    Thank you Gordon, didn't see your response this afternoon. I will look at this with fresh eyes tomorrow as it's late now.
                    I've put some figures in my reply to a post just now but answers below to your questions.

a] £80k Jan 2021 sale price.
                    b] As property purchased before...
                    08-12-2021, 00:55 AM
                  • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                    06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    Andrew, apologies only just seen your post [was it awaiting approval did you say?] answers are:

Purchased March 1982 as joint tenancy - so equal split of 33 1/3% each party
                    Parent 2 died September 2007 - as joint tenancy I inherited their share - so at this point I own 100% of property...
                    08-12-2021, 00:41 AM
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    JP Keates
                    I wasn't aware that refurbishment deductions only applied in terms of letting out the property. On the CGT calculator it asked 'How much have you spent on improvements since you became the property owner'.....

Here's the timeline:

March 1982 - 1992 3 Owners,...
                    07-12-2021, 18:01 PM
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    JP Keates et al - thank you very much for your assistance. I have this afternoon emailed an accountant to try and get an appointment urgently. I hadn't realised it was all so complicated and it was remiss of me to not be aware of the CGT changes made in 2020 due to not renting out the property. Thanks...
                    07-12-2021, 17:28 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    Refurbishment while you were living there is only allowable against CGT if it was solely and exclusively for the business, so if it was to prepare the property to be let, it would be OK.
                    If it was simply to improve what was then your home, it fails the basic test.

Get yourself to...
                    07-12-2021, 16:22 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    The probate resets a lot of the stuff, but my main response was unapproved
                    07-12-2021, 15:36 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    You are really short on detail:

Date (year & month) bought in joint names ______ (what % was yours then)
                    Date it converted to your sole name ______ (presumable date of death of parent 2?)
                    Declared vale at probate _________
                    Capital expenses between date of probate 2...
                    07-12-2021, 15:33 PM
                    by reluctantlandlord1976
                    We were all joint owners. Bought it with parents. I lived there for 10 years before buying own home. I became sole owner upon their deaths. Rented out since 2007-2019. Empty last two year as trying to sell. Hence I was off the landlord radar. I am now extremely worried by your statement that refurbishment...
                    07-12-2021, 14:53 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    Let us know the exact timescale and money involved year by year - I am sure some kind person (or even myself) with do a calculation for you so that you can assess the risks involved
                    07-12-2021, 14:33 PM
                  Working...
                  X