Capital gains tax question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Capital gains tax question

    Hi all you cleaver people , The wife and myself wish to sell our old family house which we have owned for 22 years ,we moved out 10 months ago into a property which we bought to rent out but the wife fell in love with it so we let a very close friend live in our old house rent free ( she was on her knees with 3 small children ) but she had to pay all bills and up keep of the said property .We have been made an offer and would like to accept but we are not sure if we would have to pay Capital gains tax or not .As the value of the house is quite high its my belief this could be alot and if this is the case we would proberly keep the house and charge rent as we feel we have helped are friend enough now . The people who made the offer want us to start paper work on the sale but i hope you see are problem , Many thanks for any answers given .

    a) You have to pay CGT
    b) However it is unlikely to be a CGT charge of other than zero
    c) Above presumes you lived in it as you main and only home for 22 years, and that the same individual(s) who owned it through that period, and occupied it, is the same person(s) who will be selling it.


      You almost certainly have 18 months after the date you moved out to complete without the CGT liability kicking in.
      You apportion any growth over the life time of your ownership with 18 months being added to the period you lived in it.

      If the person living in your property is paying the bills and keeping the property "up", she's (again almost certainly) a tenant, and has a whole shed-loads of rights.
      You will need her cooperation in moving out to sell with vacant possession.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        As above. Within 18 months CGT should be zero and even after that you apportion the increase in value and you each have an annual tax free allowance (assuming that its jointly owned and you have sold nothing else liable to CGT) so likely to be zero a bit longer. If you had taken rent you could also claim letting relief but I dont know the position when she's paid upkeep but not rent.

        You need to get your friend out before starting a sale. "Close friends" losing a rent free property can become difficult - and cease to be friends rapidly.


          Thank you all for you replys , Our friend has found somewhere else and is moving out in 4 weeks so thats all good, Again thank you it has helped more than you no .


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Corporation Tax
            by Thurrock1

            the other directors can't withhold information from them - I am my husband's agent as he has dyslexia and has difficulty with all this. This has been explained to the director but he does not like me and chooses not to recognise in that case anything I/my husband writes.
            25-11-2021, 09:39 AM
          • Reply to Corporation Tax
            by jpkeates
            If your husband is a director, the other directors can't withhold information from them; unless there are some very specific rules in the company articles - and they wouldn't normally be appropriate in a property development business (which are usually set up with boilerplate documentation).
            24-11-2021, 18:36 PM
          • Corporation Tax
            by Thurrock1
            Hi, Please can someone tell me if Corporation Tax only becomes payable to the IR on sale of an asset.
            My husband is a director of a property development company - there are only 3 directors.
            He wants to leave and there is no communication with the other directors and it is difficult to get...
            23-11-2021, 19:15 PM
          • Reply to Corporation Tax
            by theartfullodger
            IR (The Inland Revenue) were dissolved April 2005. Advise against sending them payments....
            24-11-2021, 17:50 PM
          • Reply to Corporation Tax
            by Thurrock1
            Thanks Gordon999. I have been phoning around about this today. This is a property development Ltd co. it had problems and so in 5 years only managed to develop 1 property - a house into flats. My husband owns one third of the company.

            It is not being sold. The other directors need to...
            24-11-2021, 17:47 PM
          • Reply to Corporation Tax
            by Gordon999
            The company pay CT on the "trading profit" reported in the annual accounts.( which are filed annually at Companies House).

            After the asset (the building) has been sold, the trading profit will be reported in the next annual accounts by accountant and CT will be payable to...
            24-11-2021, 11:33 AM
          • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
            by Neelix
            In most areas student houses don't pay council tax ....... move in a "non student" and Council tax will apply
            18-11-2021, 07:54 AM
          • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
            by nukecad
            Flag any of your posts (the little flag at the bottom of them) and ask the moderator if he can change the name for you....
            17-11-2021, 23:00 PM
          • Student HMO and Holiday let
            by lewis593
            Hello everyone. Can I rent my 4 bed property to students and holiday makers at the same time? For example 3 bedrooms will be used for students and 1 bedroom will be used as a holiday let. Would this have any tax/council tax implications? Would it be classed as a holiday let and be liable for business...
            17-11-2021, 19:54 PM
          • Reply to Student HMO and Holiday let
            by lewis593
            Can I rent my air b and b property to students?
            17-11-2021, 20:34 PM