Capital gains tax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital gains tax question

Hi all you cleaver people , The wife and myself wish to sell our old family house which we have owned for 22 years ,we moved out 10 months ago into a property which we bought to rent out but the wife fell in love with it so we let a very close friend live in our old house rent free ( she was on her knees with 3 small children ) but she had to pay all bills and up keep of the said property .We have been made an offer and would like to accept but we are not sure if we would have to pay Capital gains tax or not .As the value of the house is quite high its my belief this could be alot and if this is the case we would proberly keep the house and charge rent as we feel we have helped are friend enough now . The people who made the offer want us to start paper work on the sale but i hope you see are problem , Many thanks for any answers given .

a) You have to pay CGT
    b) However it is unlikely to be a CGT charge of other than zero
    c) Above presumes you lived in it as you main and only home for 22 years, and that the same individual(s) who owned it through that period, and occupied it, is the same person(s) who will be selling it.

Comment

You almost certainly have 18 months after the date you moved out to complete without the CGT liability kicking in.
      You apportion any growth over the life time of your ownership with 18 months being added to the period you lived in it.

If the person living in your property is paying the bills and keeping the property "up", she's (again almost certainly) a tenant, and has a whole shed-loads of rights.
      You will need her cooperation in moving out to sell with vacant possession.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As above. Within 18 months CGT should be zero and even after that you apportion the increase in value and you each have an annual tax free allowance (assuming that its jointly owned and you have sold nothing else liable to CGT) so likely to be zero a bit longer. If you had taken rent you could also claim letting relief but I dont know the position when she's paid upkeep but not rent.

You need to get your friend out before starting a sale. "Close friends" losing a rent free property can become difficult - and cease to be friends rapidly.

Comment

Thank you all for you replys , Our friend has found somewhere else and is moving out in 4 weeks so thats all good, Again thank you it has helped more than you no .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
            by BIGGYBIBIG
            Thank you, so am i right in saying Because I already own a property it would be 3% which is the higher rate band?
            As the
            SDLT relief for multiple dwellings would still apply but at the higher rate bracket?...
            10-08-2022, 23:25 PM
          • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
            by BIGGYBIBIG
            Hello everyone,
            I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

I have phoned 5 different solicitors
            10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
            by DoricPixie
            As you already own a residential dwelling which is presumably worth over £40,000 the higher rate of SDLT will apply to your multiple dwelling SDLT calculation.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...ual/sdltm09766
            10-08-2022, 22:50 PM
            by BIGGYBIBIG
            I don`t make the rules my friend,,, i could easily have bought a block of flats the other day,,, tenanted by most of them for over 5 years 10 years 12 years etc,,, all long term but the state of the place i would not let my dog live like that,,, if it were all about money that would have been a great...
            10-08-2022, 19:44 PM
            by AndrewDod
            I don't know the answer, but if true this would be an absolute outrage.

Some little kid buying their own home where granny left them a quarter of a house that is rented out pays 3% additional tax

Someone who buys 8 properties pays 1%

Pity us all
            10-08-2022, 19:32 PM
          • Passing it on
            by royw
            I'm about to make a will and would like to check my assumptions are correct. Beneficiaries are OH (we're married) and DD. Some BTLs are in my sole ownership, others are joint tenants with OH. There is a large CGT liability on all of them if I were to sell. DD is an adult but IMO a bit too young for...
            10-08-2022, 14:16 PM
          • Reply to Passing it on
            by SouthernDave
            DD!!? This isn’t mums net you know...
            10-08-2022, 19:07 PM
          • Reply to Passing it on
            by jpkeates
            The IHT threshold would be £650k.
            The other £350k applies for the disposal of the main residence only.

Just been dealing with exactly all this.
            10-08-2022, 17:44 PM
          • Reply to Passing it on
            by Neelix
            Not sure I agree with this.

As a married person on the first death the estate can pass to the surviving partner meaning the IHT threshold on their death will be £1 million, then on their death ........
            10-08-2022, 17:32 PM
          • Reply to Passing it on
            by AndrewDod
            1 - yes you can and will pay duplicate tax (assuming both types are due)
            2- Yes
            3- Yes
            4-regard as effectively two items -- 50% with base value as per your probate value (need a formal assessment), other 50% with initial purchase value (whether by you or spouse. For the first half...
            10-08-2022, 16:38 PM
          Working...
          X