Claiming roofing and window works through a company

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Claiming roofing and window works through a company

    I own the rental in my personal name. But have a company for work. With some re-roofing and window works done I have had the works invoiced to the company as a contractor to manage the works and claimed it as expenses and claim VAT. Is this ok and acceptable to do?

    Any advice and information appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    PS. the company is in the design sector. You could say design and build. It doesn't sell fruit and veges is what I'm trying to say...

    The company will need to operate at arms length. I would have thought the additional complexity would have introduced extra costs.


      It doesn't sound as though the work is anything to do with the company.
      The transaction is simply designed to reduce tax and should not have taken place.

      Because the company and the individual are so clearly interchangeable, the transaction is a sham.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Sounds like VAT fraud to me (but IANAL). An honourable citizen would likely report the company...
        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


          The contractor company has to charge its bill ( job expenses + profit margin ) at the VAT rate to the property owner ( you) .

          The chargeable VAT rate can be 5% or 20% ( according to VAT Notice 708.)


            And the job expenses + profit margin must reflect the proper market prices as though the company was providing the service to an outsider. As well as charging the landlord the price for which they could have had the job done by an independent third party, including VAT, it has the additional cost of documenting how it arrived at an open market price for the job.


            Latest Activity


            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by DoricPixie
              Your tax situation in Australian depends on whether you’re a permanent resident/citizen or a temporary resident. If you’re a temporary resident you find yourself in tax sweet spot where HMRC doesn’t care about your Australian income and assets and the ATO doesn’t care about your UK income and...
              24-06-2022, 14:29 PM
            • New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by mucker973
              Hi All,
              I have a property I used to manage myself. The tenant paid me directly and I never declared it with the taxman. Going forward I have decided to use a letting agent to manage all of this. I currently reside abroad and when filling in the forms there is question which essentially is asking...
              24-06-2022, 07:39 AM
            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by Gordon999
              If you are living overseas, you must register as a non-resident landlord using NRL1 form to Tax Office if you receive rental income from a UK property. If you don't register , the letting agent is required to deduct 25% tax on any rental money paid to you.

              After being registered...
              24-06-2022, 09:31 AM
            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by jpkeates

              There's a "not quite an amnesty" operating at the moment.
              24-06-2022, 09:02 AM
            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by mucker973
              Thanks JPkeates, I knew you'd know!

              I've been thinking of reporting it for a while. If I declare these past "earnings" do you think I'll just have to pay the tax (if there is any) or do you think there will be any penalties? Penalties are usually applied when you are caught out...
              24-06-2022, 08:47 AM
            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by jpkeates
              I don't know what the situation is with Australian tax on UK rented property, and you'd probably better enquire locally.

              There are two different things to address.
              If you've been receiving income and not declaring it, you need to own up and pay what you owe - which sounds like nothing...
              24-06-2022, 08:32 AM
            • Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
              by Covent Garden Girl
              Your questions are more complicated than you imagine.

              1) Yes, firstly as a non resident landlord, the agent or indeed tenants have to deduct tax at source, or you have to send off a form, but also wait for HMRC to send confirmation that they think it is okay for you not to have the tax...
              24-06-2022, 08:17 AM
            • Are utility bills tax-deductible?
              by Bigpat
              I've had a buy-to-let on a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy for a few years and my tax return has been pretty simple. But since last year I have also had two lodgers, staying with me at my own residential property. Now I have purchased a small additional property, which I have moved into myself and...
              21-06-2022, 14:26 PM
            • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
              by jpkeates
              Even if you don’t need a licence, managing an HMO can be quite onerous. You’ll need a fire risk assessment, and then to comply with its requirements as a first step.

              That usually means fire retardant doors, different door locks, hard wired fire and smoke and heat alarms for a start....
              24-06-2022, 07:08 AM
            • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
              by Bigpat
              Thanks. Yes I checked the local authority who said that only "large" HMOs have to be licensed, and that counts as 5 or more tenants.

              I had no idea that separate TV licences would be required. How do HMO landlords usually handle this?
              (a) should I purchase three additional...
              23-06-2022, 21:38 PM