Uneven rental income split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uneven rental income split

So the situation is my long term partner (we aren't married) is nearly in the 40% tax bracket and I'm not. We want to split rental income to be more tax efficient. Is the best way to do this to be joint tenants and simply draw up an agreement stating that we are splitting the rental income say 90/10 in my favour?

Thanks in advance!

I suggest you prepare a letter to inform the HMRC Office :

Dear Inspector of Taxes ,

We A and B are joint owners of the property at Flat 2, 88 Rosetree Gardens . We have agreed commencing from 6 April , 2017 the rental profit from the property shall be shared 90% to A and 10% to B.

Yours sincerely ,

Signed by both A and B .

Comment

Many thanks Gordon

Comment

Yes Im looking at doing the same and I believe that's the correct way (a simple letter outlining the agreement). So the split can be 100%/0% I believe.
        How do the costs for that property get split please? For example do we still have to split the running costs 50:50 or does the lower rate tax payer then offset all the costs too?

Does the higher rate tax payer have to submit a return for that property if the income is 0% and so zero?

Comment

Is it really as simple as that?

Comment

For an unmarried couple, yes.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Excellent!
              Just to confirm, my partner and I are joint owners, so we'll simply get a letter written up.
              She'll declare 100% earnings and 100% costs go on her tax return?
              The tenancy agreement shows both our names.
              Money is paid into joint account - any problems with that?

Comment

The split should probably be 99:1 not 100:0.
                100:0 isn't "joint" anything.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I've found this article which you may find interesting

http://www.ramsaybrown.co.uk/documen...ertyandTax.pdf

Comment

Thanks for the link, so yes I believe that this confirms that its much easier if youre not married! One of the rare occasions where not being married is easier tax-wise. I simply write up an agreement with my partner (not married) to define to uneven income split and that's that? She then files a tax return too.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Will they raise taxes again?
                      by JK0
                      My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
                      27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
                    • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
                      by Gordon999
                      The Daily Mail reported on 29 Oct 2021 the 1.25 p increase for social care levy commencing in 2022 , will take £16 Bil from our pockets. The freezing of personal allowance for income tax at £12570 until 2026 will take £19 Bill by 2025/2026.
                      02-12-2021, 11:18 AM
                      by Gordon999
                      Corporation tax for large companies ( over £250K profit ) will be raised from 19% to 25% rate commencing from April 2023.
                      30-11-2021, 21:35 PM
                    • Reply to Corporation Tax
                      by Gordon999
                      There seems to be 2 problems ( I am not an accountant ) :

(1.) The company has to pay £30,000 tax due to revaluation of property asset increased higher by £150,000 ( estimated). Does it have the cash in its bank account to pay ?

( 2) husband owns one third interest of property...
                      30-11-2021, 14:09 PM
                      by theartfullodger
                      Taxes bound to go up, huge amounts to pay for Covid & BR*X*it. Death & taxes, death & taxes.

Holding off working out my position, wishing to remain cheerful for Christmas.

Best wishes to all...
                      28-11-2021, 10:45 AM
                      by Neelix
                      ^^ please don’t take this the wrong way but £10 k down on what turnover or number of properties?

i’ve done a lot of EICRs and remedial work over the last 18 months and a lot of it was because properties hadn’t been inspected and some were just dangerous....
                      28-11-2021, 10:29 AM
                      by jpkeates
                      I'm about £10k down and it's mostly electrical work.

I can't see this government putting up taxes anymore before the next election, although there's nothing to say that they won't figure out how to tax landlords more specifically - there's few votes lost there.

My candidate...
                      28-11-2021, 10:07 AM
                      by Neelix
                      That's a lots of unsatisfactory EICR's and remedial work - so not annual costs!...
                      28-11-2021, 09:00 AM
                      by Neelix
                      Wow.

So that must be lots of unsatisfactory reports and lots of remedial work.

so not annual Costa...
                      28-11-2021, 08:31 AM
                      by jpucng62
                      Clearly you were a bit behind on your electrical work!...
                      28-11-2021, 06:58 AM
                    Working...
                    X