CGT on future sale of previous home

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT on future sale of previous home

    Your advice please.

    My home is mortgage free and am looking to purchase another house to move into, taking some of the equity from current home as deposit for new home. Current home was purchased in Jan 2001.

    1. When the 1st house is eventually sold, is the CGT based from the Jan 2001 purchase transaction value or the value when we purchased the new home and let the current house?
    2. Is there a time restriction as to when the Let to Buy property should be sold to minimize CGT?
    3. How is the CGT calculated, the purchase price in 2001 was 200K, now it valued at 480K

    Thanks in advance

    The CGT is apportioned.

    So the gain would be the difference between the sale value and the purchase price.
    The taxable gain is the entire gain times (the number of days when the property wasn't your main residence plus 18 months) divided by the number of days you owned it.

    So if you owned it for ten years and lived in it for four and a half with £100k gain, your taxable gain is £100k * (1460 [10 years less 4.5 + 1.5 years)] / 3650 [10 years].

    So £40k is taxable.
    And obviously that's a back of a fag packet version.

    So if you sell within 18 months there's no tax at all.

    You are also entitled to letting relief which will reduce the bill further.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      If your house has been owner-occupied since Jan 2001 and you move out at end of month , the entire period plus 18 months from moving out ( up to May 2019 ) is exempt for capital gains tax . You have capital gains over 18 years period of £280K ( £480 less £200K ) and this is fully exempt for cgt.

      If you rent out the property and sold in Jan 2025 and achieved 360K in capital gains over 24 years period , then approx one quarter of the capital gains = £90K is liable for cgt. but you can deduct lettings relief up to £40K + personal cgt allowance £11K .

      So you would pay tax on the chargeable capital gains : £90K- £40K -£11K =£39K @ 28% = £11K tax bill.

      But you should consult a tax accountant before you decide as the calculation given here in a forum may not be correct.


        If you can kindly give us the CGT rules and regulations for when you will sell an accurate answer may be tried. Otherwise, guesses.
        I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


          Yes, after Brexit negotiations have been concluded in 2019 , the tax rules may be changed. So yes , I am guessing .


            Sorry, not aiming at anyone in particular: Rules could change with the Budget 22nd November.

            I admire your confidence with your 2019 prediction for conclusion of negotiations!
            I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


            Latest Activity


            • Banana Skin
              I feel I have messed up my life. Despite working hard, I have landed on a banana skin.

              I bought a 3 bedroom house many years ago. It seemed like a nice area. Little did I know, nearby the local housing associations had housed the thugs like the Kray twins and their chums. It was a "problem...
              17-07-2018, 15:22 PM
            • Reply to Banana Skin
              You will also get Letting Relief and Private Residence Relief and your personal Annual Allowance for CGT. Your bill maybe a lot less than you think.
              19-07-2018, 23:10 PM
            • Will I be OK when the new tac changes come in ?
              I currently earn £25000 from my job.I have 2 rental properties that bring in £12480 per year.I am thinking about buying another that would bring the total to £18720. £18720 plus £25000 is £43720. I'm I right in thinking as long as I am below the £46000 higher tax bracket I am OK and the new tax...
              19-07-2018, 16:05 PM
            • Reply to Will I be OK when the new tac changes come in ?
              I think your assessed Tax Band is the key, not your Income, which can vary. eg Benefit in Kind, net profit from property etc
              Govt can easily alter qualifying Income.
              19-07-2018, 16:46 PM
            • Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
              Hi there. I live in a Victorian property which has been divided into 5 flats.
              Several years ago, three of the flat owners (including myself) purchased the freehold. The two remaining flat owners decided that they would not participate in the freehold purchase.
              A company was formed for the...
              17-07-2018, 11:10 AM
            • Reply to Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
              Normally the freehold company will report the income received from lease extension as "annual profit" in its annual acounts which are produced after the year end.

              The profit will be reported in the tax return and about 13 months later the company get a tax bill of around 20%....
              18-07-2018, 15:43 PM
            • Reply to Banana Skin
              CGT is only 18% (28 If you earn a lot). You still get 82% of any increase in value.
              Plus the rental income.
              18-07-2018, 07:00 AM
            • Reply to Banana Skin
              If you quote some details : we can work out roughly the cgt.

              When you bought the property and the price paid
              Dates when you lived in the property.
              Market value now .
              17-07-2018, 19:26 PM
            • Reply to Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
              Thank you very much for your response - I appreciate any assistance.
              The only trouble is that there are two companies involved (I should have mentioned this previously!)
              One company is the freehold company (representing the interests of the freeholders - collecting ground rent, leasehold...
              17-07-2018, 16:28 PM
            • Reply to Lease Extension Subject to Taxation?
              I'd leave the money in the company, and relieve the directors of paying service charge until such time as the cash is depleted.
              17-07-2018, 15:43 PM