Mortgage Interest as an expense being phased out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage Interest as an expense being phased out

Evening all. I’ve got a question regarding the phasing out of mortgage interest as an allowable expense.

Currently when I complete my return I input the total amount of mortgage interest. I’m aware mortgage interest will taper off from 75/50/25 % then to the basic rate of tax.

When I come to complete future returns do I calculate the mortgage interest at 75/50/25 and 20% and input the figure or is it likely I’d put the total interest and the system would work out the rate based on the year?

Many Thanks

The first stage taper will be applied for 2017-2018 and 75% of finance costs will be allowed to reduce the tax bill.

On the current SA105 form ( 2016-2017) , the " 100% finance costs" are entered in box 26 same as last year.

For the SA105 form ( 2017-2018), I would guess the "finance costs" will be claimed in a new box to reduce the tax to pay amount .

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dual-landlords

Comment

Thanks for the reply so there is no definitive answer from HMRC at present?

So your thinking is that you would enter the full mortgage interest in box 26 as has happened in previous years but a new box could possibly be added to show calculations based on 75%, 50%, 25% and 20% rates?

Thanks

Comment

I am hoping that the online self assessment form will work it all out for me when the time comes

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
          by DoricPixie
          Your tax situation in Australian depends on whether you’re a permanent resident/citizen or a temporary resident. If you’re a temporary resident you find yourself in tax sweet spot where HMRC doesn’t care about your Australian income and assets and the ATO doesn’t care about your UK income and...
          24-06-2022, 14:29 PM
        • New to Renting out my property - Some tax questions
          by mucker973
          Hi All,
          I have a property I used to manage myself. The tenant paid me directly and I never declared it with the taxman. Going forward I have decided to use a letting agent to manage all of this. I currently reside abroad and when filling in the forms there is question which essentially is asking...
          24-06-2022, 07:39 AM
          by Gordon999
          If you are living overseas, you must register as a non-resident landlord using NRL1 form to Tax Office if you receive rental income from a UK property. If you don't register , the letting agent is required to deduct 25% tax on any rental money paid to you.

After being registered...
          24-06-2022, 09:31 AM
          by jpkeates
          https://www.gov.uk/government/public...g-a-disclosure

There's a "not quite an amnesty" operating at the moment.
          24-06-2022, 09:02 AM
          by mucker973
          Thanks JPkeates, I knew you'd know!

I've been thinking of reporting it for a while. If I declare these past "earnings" do you think I'll just have to pay the tax (if there is any) or do you think there will be any penalties? Penalties are usually applied when you are caught out...
          24-06-2022, 08:47 AM
          by jpkeates
          I don't know what the situation is with Australian tax on UK rented property, and you'd probably better enquire locally.

There are two different things to address.
          If you've been receiving income and not declaring it, you need to own up and pay what you owe - which sounds like nothing...
          24-06-2022, 08:32 AM
          by Covent Garden Girl
          Your questions are more complicated than you imagine.

1) Yes, firstly as a non resident landlord, the agent or indeed tenants have to deduct tax at source, or you have to send off a form, but also wait for HMRC to send confirmation that they think it is okay for you not to have the tax...
          24-06-2022, 08:17 AM
        • Are utility bills tax-deductible?
          by Bigpat
          I've had a buy-to-let on a standard Assured Shorthold Tenancy for a few years and my tax return has been pretty simple. But since last year I have also had two lodgers, staying with me at my own residential property. Now I have purchased a small additional property, which I have moved into myself and...
          21-06-2022, 14:26 PM
        • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
          by jpkeates
          Even if you don’t need a licence, managing an HMO can be quite onerous. You’ll need a fire risk assessment, and then to comply with its requirements as a first step.

That usually means fire retardant doors, different door locks, hard wired fire and smoke and heat alarms for a start....
          24-06-2022, 07:08 AM
        • Reply to Are utility bills tax-deductible?
          by Bigpat
          Thanks. Yes I checked the local authority who said that only "large" HMOs have to be licensed, and that counts as 5 or more tenants.

I had no idea that separate TV licences would be required. How do HMO landlords usually handle this?
          (a) should I purchase three additional...
          23-06-2022, 21:38 PM
        Working...
        X