Excel Spreadsheet of HMRC

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Excel Spreadsheet of HMRC


    it it is my first time to file the tax on rentals return. I wonder if there a standard spreadsheet provided by hmrc I have to fill up for the rental income and expenses and upload by the end of the self assessment?

    I can find a professional website that cost £12-£15. But what I am after is the official one from the hmrc, I couldn’t find it from my login page, therefore I wonder if I have missed out anything?


    There isn't such a thing.

    You don't need to give a detailed breakdown of all of the expenses (although you can if you wish).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      You may have read some of the earliest blurb from the HMRC. They initially did say they would require a proper piece of software, would not accept spreadsheets. Then, when it was pointed out that that would not be possible until they published the system that software would have to work with, they said they would accept spreadsheets and that they would proffer one up. The blindingly obvious seemed to have escaped notice for a long while and a few more revisions, statements etc!

      Then they said they would not... then the dates changed... the details changed... and now, well, MTD simply means (for individuals and SMEs) that we carry on as normal and, if you do cash based accounting (which you probably should) you don't need details, just 3 numbers: Amount In - Amount Out = Taxable Profit

      I do keep a spreadsheet, I Googled until I found one I liked, one that suited my own way of working. I use it to track invoices etc. But at the end of the year (or multiple times when the date comes round) I just enter those 3 figures.

      As jpk said, you don't have to keep a detailed breakdown... but the Do-As-You'r-Told-By-Mindless-Authority Teacher in me means I do... just in case 'They' call in for and audit


        some companies produce software which you can pay for and will allow you to submit your return online. Can't speak for it as I've never used it.

        It's all pretty straightforward if you're filing a return online or on paper if you use the Property pages and follow the notes. If you've got a complicated situation, why not use an accountant as that's a deductible expense anyway?


        Latest Activity


        • Let Property Campaign.
          by armour
          Hi all,

          A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

          She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
          13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
        • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
          by theartfullodger

          Well done HMRC..

          None of my business, and obviously not in anyway a criticism of anybody, but If I had had a friend who I found out had been fiddling tax for 16 years they'd no longer be my friend.
          18-09-2021, 11:46 AM
        • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
          by armour
          Fair enough. Thanks for your advice. It is on cash basis.

          I guess it would only save her 50 odd quid anyway, maybe less than £80 once the fine and interest is added. I guess she'll have to swallow that.
          Once again, thanks JP and Gordon for your help.
          18-09-2021, 09:07 AM
        • Overseas Landlords
          by Santa Fe
          I'm from UK but live overseas and recently discovered that I should be registered as an overseas landlord. I've done a bit of research on what it involves and it seems a bit of a headache - tenants have to fill out forms and pay tax from their rent direct to HMRC. If anyone here is registered as an...
          16-09-2021, 16:44 PM
        • Reply to Overseas Landlords
          by Santa Fe
          Boletus, thank you.
          17-09-2021, 18:37 PM
        • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
          by jpkeates
          armour - Sorry, I don't know.
          It might depend on whether you're accounting on the cash basis (in which case I suspect not) or the accrual basis (when it's possible).

          But it's not something I ever got involved with when the W&T allowance existed, and all of the practical guidance...
          17-09-2021, 11:43 AM
        • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
          by armour
          Thanks JP, that's clear. I'll put the bathroom in with the income tax then. I guess it's much of a muchness anyway as the associated reduction in interest and fine will probably equal out.

          I have one last question, if you'd be so kind.

          During the year she had to make the eviction,...
          17-09-2021, 09:18 AM
        • Reply to Overseas Landlords
          by boletus
          You fill out this form requesting to have rental income without deduction of tax and pay it yourself;

          16-09-2021, 17:26 PM
        • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
          by jpkeates
          The 10% was for furnishings, so built in stuff should be ok to claim.
          The bathroom refurb depends on what was done if it was simply a replacement, it's maintenance, if it was a significant upgrade, it's likely to be part capital/part maintenance.
          If it's a new bathroom, it's probably ca...
          16-09-2021, 08:37 AM
        • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
          by armour
          Seems pretty clear there JP. I'll go ahead and alter my calculations

          One more thing, My friend had a bathroom refurb and a built in oven and hob replaced during the period when the flat was let furnished. I'm pretty sure that these costs can be detucted in addition to the 10% W&T, but...
          15-09-2021, 14:06 PM