Splitting Tax relief

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Splitting Tax relief

    I have a property that I own jointly with my wife, and am in the process of filing my first tax return. I am a 40% taxpayer and my wife is 10%, and we are planning to split the income 50-50.
    My question is around the tax relief (mortgage interest, letting agent fees, plus a small amount of maintenance) - am I right in thinking we also halve each of these figures, and claim that amount in tax relief each? ie. I will half the mortgage interest, fees etc on my tax return and my wife will do the same? As far as I can tell that's the correct way but I've not found anything to confirm that - any advice from anyone more experienced much appreciated!

    We were informed by our accountant that any rent and expenses should be allocated to each party in the same share as their beneficial ownership which, as my wife and I are joint tenants, is a simple 50/50 split. Perhaps if you owned the place as tenants in common and own different percentages then the split could mirror that?


      Thanks. Yes our ownership is 50 50, and we're splitting the rent income as such.
      The question is related to the tax relief aspect, where we can declare the mortgage interest and agents fees as expenses. I'm trying to work out if we also split those amounts 50 50 and each of us claims tax relief accordingly, or if we can each claim tax relief against the whole lot (which I doubt)


        I've been advised the same as Goobs27. Yes, split any interest, maintenance costs, agent fees and any other expenses 50/50. If the ownership was any other percentage you would split in accordance with that %. On the tax return there is a question as to whether you own the property jointly.


          Ok great, thanks both


            You should probably consider whether a simple declaration of trust (and form 17) would be worthwhile, as you could split the income and expenses so that your wife took the income and expenditure (say at a 99:1 split) which might save a bit of tax.

            Costs a bit set it up - so it's worth while considering if it saves enough to justify it.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


              Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              You should probably consider whether a simple declaration of trust (and form 17) would be worthwhile
              I'd never heard of it until today when I started looking into this, I will look into it, thanks


              Latest Activity


              • mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
                If you receive cashback when taking out a buy to let mortgage do you have to declare this as income and will it incur tax?
                14-11-2018, 15:49 PM
              • Reply to mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
                Great so no need to declare it on my tax return?
                14-11-2018, 16:33 PM
              • Reply to mortgage cashback buy to let tax implications
                Most lenders who offer a modest cash back do so to enable the borrower to use , if they wish, as a payment towards the basic legal costs instead of offering Free Basic Legal Fees or towards the cost of a valuation, so no it doesn’t have to be declared to HMRC as income , and remember such freebies...
                14-11-2018, 16:29 PM
              • Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?

                I purchased a property in 2009 for £115k (and spent around £20k on improvements) and I’m thinking about selling it early 2019 for £300k.
                I’d expected an approx. £40k CGT bill, but now I’m not so sure and could really do with some high level pointers or peace of mind either way....
                11-11-2018, 18:01 PM
              • Reply to Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
                Don't ever ask HMRC for tax advice.

                A) they're not qualified to give it, b) you may have to give them information to get advice that they can use against you, c) it may cause them to mark your returns for attention and d) they're hardly unbiased.

                Tax is part science and part...
                13-11-2018, 08:43 AM
              • Reply to Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
                Thank you very much. I'll speak to an accountant. I also found a HMRC CGT helpline....
                13-11-2018, 08:35 AM
              • PRR & Letting Relief
                Trying to do some calculations before I think about putting a house on the market, first time I've sold a property. It's only in my name and it was my main residence before letting it out and buying another place.

                Purchase Price £175,000
                Market Value £415,000 (est)

                12-11-2018, 12:03 PM
              • Reply to PRR & Letting Relief
                In Post 2, The total period owned = 180 months .

                Exemption claimed for PPR = 36 months + 18 month after moving out = 54 months

                Period under letting = 180 -54 = 126 months .

                So the capital gain during letting period = £ 240k x 126/180 = £168K.

                12-11-2018, 17:28 PM
              • Reply to PRR & Letting Relief
                Hi, I've tried to follow the calculations above to apply it to my situation but get lost at the CG part - "126 /180", not knowing where these figures come from. I can follow it up to that point.

                However, I will post my figures. I likewise am trying to figure the implications...
                12-11-2018, 16:59 PM
              • queries about self assessment
                Hi All

                My wife has a property which we re-mortgaged on a buy-to-let mortgage to buy our home. This will be our first year doing the self-assessment, whilst I am certain on some things I have a few questions about others which I hope you all can assist with:
                1. Can we claim the mortgage product
                09-11-2018, 15:28 PM