Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting Tax relief

Hi
    I have a property that I own jointly with my wife, and am in the process of filing my first tax return. I am a 40% taxpayer and my wife is 10%, and we are planning to split the income 50-50.
    My question is around the tax relief (mortgage interest, letting agent fees, plus a small amount of maintenance) - am I right in thinking we also halve each of these figures, and claim that amount in tax relief each? ie. I will half the mortgage interest, fees etc on my tax return and my wife will do the same? As far as I can tell that's the correct way but I've not found anything to confirm that - any advice from anyone more experienced much appreciated!
    Cheers
    John

We were informed by our accountant that any rent and expenses should be allocated to each party in the same share as their beneficial ownership which, as my wife and I are joint tenants, is a simple 50/50 split. Perhaps if you owned the place as tenants in common and own different percentages then the split could mirror that?

Comment

Thanks. Yes our ownership is 50 50, and we're splitting the rent income as such.
      The question is related to the tax relief aspect, where we can declare the mortgage interest and agents fees as expenses. I'm trying to work out if we also split those amounts 50 50 and each of us claims tax relief accordingly, or if we can each claim tax relief against the whole lot (which I doubt)

Comment

I've been advised the same as Goobs27. Yes, split any interest, maintenance costs, agent fees and any other expenses 50/50. If the ownership was any other percentage you would split in accordance with that %. On the tax return there is a question as to whether you own the property jointly.

Comment

Ok great, thanks both

Comment

You should probably consider whether a simple declaration of trust (and form 17) would be worthwhile, as you could split the income and expenses so that your wife took the income and expenditure (say at a 99:1 split) which might save a bit of tax.

Costs a bit set it up - so it's worth while considering if it saves enough to justify it.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              You should probably consider whether a simple declaration of trust (and form 17) would be worthwhile
              I'd never heard of it until today when I started looking into this, I will look into it, thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Subsistence costs - can my limited company pay for me?
                JamesHopeful
                I'm going to make an overnight trip to another city wholly and exclusively for the purpose of doing some work in relation to my rental properties, which are owned in a limited company.

I am already treating my train fare and hotel cost as a business expense, paid for by the company, but...
                21-08-2018, 20:28 PM
              • Question regarding upgrades in flat for tax relief
                Helvie
                Hi,
                Im unsure as to what i can claim tax relief on. I have to replace a gas boiler as the current one isnt working properly, can i claim relief on this ? im also a registered heating engineer so doing the work myself purely material costs.

Is there a way i could invoice my property...
                05-08-2018, 13:03 PM
              • Reply to Question regarding upgrades in flat for tax relief
                jpkeates
                HMRC don't allow landlords to claim for their own labour against income for tax.
                Landlords are expected to do work on their investment as part of their business activity.

That may be different in Scotland.
                21-08-2018, 12:20 PM
              • Move to ltd company
                Helvie
                Hi,
                I read a lot about changing to a ltd company, at which point or why should this be done. I currently have 2 BTL and in the process of buying my third with a fourth on the cards for end of year or early next year. What is the best advice for this.

I am a tax free resident so...
                06-08-2018, 09:41 AM
              • Reply to Move to ltd company
                jpkeates
                You can't offset the repayment element of a mortgage against income (as an individual) - at least not in England, Scottish rules might be different.
                The position as a limited company would be slightly different, but not that much.
                21-08-2018, 12:04 PM
              • Reply to Question regarding upgrades in flat for tax relief
                Helvie
                Well if it’s tax deductible then say I pay £1k for a boiler then my profit at end of year would be £1k less so wouldn’t pay tax on that amount....
                21-08-2018, 09:42 AM
              • Reply to Move to ltd company
                Helvie
                I’m talking about profit after mortgage and other payments are made., ie insurance, boiler contract etc. They are both on repayment mortgages so less monthly profit than interest only....
                21-08-2018, 09:39 AM
              • Seeking a professional tax expert please
                Landlord2015
                Fed-up of all the attacks on the BTL sector by the government and the ever-increasing red tape and hassles of managing tenants, so I'm looking to sell my portfolio of UK BTL properties and invest a fairly large sum into equities etc. from which to receive an annual 'retirement' income.

20-08-2018, 12:26 PM
              • Let Property Campaign and past experience
                JazzApples
                Hi,
                The ex-wife and I had a couple of rental properties which we've rented out for the past 2.5 years. The initial intention was to use the properties as an investment for the future, but we divorced after a year and never put our tax affairs in order. After the divorce, I wanted to declare the...
                17-08-2018, 16:19 PM
              • Reply to Let Property Campaign and past experience
                Gordon999
                I expect both you and ex-wife have to submit tax return for rental profit for 2016/2017 and 2017/2018 ( since you started letting 2.5 years ago and current year end profit cannot yet be computed ) .
                So from the letting records of each property and for each year , you calculate the...
                19-08-2018, 11:08 AM
              Working...
              X