Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting Tax relief

Hi
    I have a property that I own jointly with my wife, and am in the process of filing my first tax return. I am a 40% taxpayer and my wife is 10%, and we are planning to split the income 50-50.
    My question is around the tax relief (mortgage interest, letting agent fees, plus a small amount of maintenance) - am I right in thinking we also halve each of these figures, and claim that amount in tax relief each? ie. I will half the mortgage interest, fees etc on my tax return and my wife will do the same? As far as I can tell that's the correct way but I've not found anything to confirm that - any advice from anyone more experienced much appreciated!
    Cheers
    John

We were informed by our accountant that any rent and expenses should be allocated to each party in the same share as their beneficial ownership which, as my wife and I are joint tenants, is a simple 50/50 split. Perhaps if you owned the place as tenants in common and own different percentages then the split could mirror that?

Comment

Thanks. Yes our ownership is 50 50, and we're splitting the rent income as such.
      The question is related to the tax relief aspect, where we can declare the mortgage interest and agents fees as expenses. I'm trying to work out if we also split those amounts 50 50 and each of us claims tax relief accordingly, or if we can each claim tax relief against the whole lot (which I doubt)

Comment

I've been advised the same as Goobs27. Yes, split any interest, maintenance costs, agent fees and any other expenses 50/50. If the ownership was any other percentage you would split in accordance with that %. On the tax return there is a question as to whether you own the property jointly.

Comment

Ok great, thanks both

Comment

You should probably consider whether a simple declaration of trust (and form 17) would be worthwhile, as you could split the income and expenses so that your wife took the income and expenditure (say at a 99:1 split) which might save a bit of tax.

Costs a bit set it up - so it's worth while considering if it saves enough to justify it.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              You should probably consider whether a simple declaration of trust (and form 17) would be worthwhile
              I'd never heard of it until today when I started looking into this, I will look into it, thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Adding wife to BTL property
                ringzer
                In 2005 I bought a BTL property in London with an outstanding mortgage of ~£150,000 and a current market value of ~ £500,000. The apartment has never been lived in by me and my name alone is on the title deeds and mortgage.

I would like to add my wife to the property, either 1) title...
                18-02-2019, 17:37 PM
              • Reply to Adding wife to BTL property
                Kape65
                You're right, I remember that post. I agree that it's possible to do it but I feel if HMRC did take the time to view it then it could be classed as fraudulent, evading stamp duty and income tax.
                19-02-2019, 17:00 PM
                jpkeates
                Beneficial ownership is a can of worms and HMRC aren't in any position to dispute what a married couple assert to be how they want to split the beneficial ownership, regardless of title.

Someone posted on here a while back, and I made pretty much the same point (which was that the deed...
                19-02-2019, 16:35 PM
                Kape65
                I always believed that a DOT was used because normal ownership of tenant in common property was automatically registered as 50/50 split when the true ownership may have been different i.e wife has put more money in or such. Surely to transfer a percentage to your wife and then use a DOT to claim that...
                19-02-2019, 15:24 PM
                jpkeates
                Where property is owned as tenancy in common, the default presumption is that each tenant owns the property in equal proportions.
                But that doesn't have to be the case, the ownership can be shared in specified proportions, so 1% and 99%, or 60%:40% are possible.

That split would normally...
                19-02-2019, 13:51 PM
                Gordon999
                I think the solicitor may arrange a sale contract of 25% share in property from H ( seller ) to W ( Buyer ) at Nil price . but the Tax Office will say the consideration is 25% of mortgage loan for calculation the sdlt to pay.

After the property is registered under the names of H&W (...
                19-02-2019, 13:30 PM
                Kape65
                Is this possible (genuine question)? I understand the tenants in common bit but I thought you then needed a declaration of trust in order to change the proportions....
                19-02-2019, 13:04 PM
                Gordon999
                Option 2 is not available because you have a mortgage loan ( in sole name ) secured by the mortgage lender taking a charge on the property title. This means any change to the property title requires consent by the mortgage lender.

You can transfer by gifting a 25% share in the property...
                19-02-2019, 11:55 AM
                jpkeates
                Tenants in common - which allows each person to own a defined share of a property.
                You can transfer 1% of a property to someone (at the value of 1% of the total property value at the time).

Totally agree about the mortgage lender....
                19-02-2019, 10:44 AM
                Kape65
                This intrigues me, how do you transfer a small part of title? I know you can split beneficial ownership of jointly held property but how do you transfer a small part of title prior to changing beneficial ownership.

I'm not sure your mortgage company will allow a transfer of title only,...
                19-02-2019, 10:41 AM
              Working...
              X