Tax Treatment of Mortgage Arrangement Fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Treatment of Mortgage Arrangement Fees

With the changes in tax relief for BTL investors, can I just seek advice in terms of mortgage arrangement fees please:

1. For the purposes of the phasing out of tax relief on mortgage costs/interests, will the tax deductibility of mortgage arrangement fees be treated in the same way as mortgage interest i.e. a tapered reduction in relief over the next 4 years?

or

2. Are mortgage arrangement fees 100% non-tax deductible with effect from tax year 2017-2018?

or

3. Some other arrangement (please explain).

Many thanks.
    G.

Mortgage fees are treated exactly the same as interest, the relief is being tapered to the new restricted level.

Strictly speaking, the fees should be amortised over the length of the mortgage, but most people don't do that.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Many thanks.
      I will go with a lower rate, with a arrangement fee therefore.
      G.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
        gmhmo
        Hello,

I purchased a property in 2009 for £115k (and spent around £20k on improvements) and I’m thinking about selling it early 2019 for £300k.
        I’d expected an approx. £40k CGT bill, but now I’m not so sure and could really do with some high level pointers or peace of mind either way....
        11-11-2018, 18:01 PM
      • Reply to Don't think so, but not sure if entitled to PRR or lettings relief?
        jpkeates
        Don't ever ask HMRC for tax advice.

A) they're not qualified to give it, b) you may have to give them information to get advice that they can use against you, c) it may cause them to mark your returns for attention and d) they're hardly unbiased.

Tax is part science and part...
        13-11-2018, 08:43 AM
        gmhmo
        Thank you very much. I'll speak to an accountant. I also found a HMRC CGT helpline....
        13-11-2018, 08:35 AM
      • PRR & Letting Relief
        multipropertyguy
        Trying to do some calculations before I think about putting a house on the market, first time I've sold a property. It's only in my name and it was my main residence before letting it out and buying another place.

Purchase Price £175,000
        Market Value £415,000 (est)

12-11-2018, 12:03 PM
      • Reply to PRR & Letting Relief
        Gordon999
        In Post 2, The total period owned = 180 months .

Exemption claimed for PPR = 36 months + 18 month after moving out = 54 months

Period under letting = 180 -54 = 126 months .

So the capital gain during letting period = £ 240k x 126/180 = £168K.

12-11-2018, 17:28 PM
        GillianF
        Hi, I've tried to follow the calculations above to apply it to my situation but get lost at the CG part - "126 /180", not knowing where these figures come from. I can follow it up to that point.

However, I will post my figures. I likewise am trying to figure the implications...
        12-11-2018, 16:59 PM
      • queries about self assessment
        djlandlord
        Hi All

My wife has a property which we re-mortgaged on a buy-to-let mortgage to buy our home. This will be our first year doing the self-assessment, whilst I am certain on some things I have a few questions about others which I hope you all can assist with:
        1. Can we claim the mortgage product
        09-11-2018, 15:28 PM
      • Reply to queries about self assessment
        djlandlord
        Thanks all for the useful answers. You've helped me get things sorted.
        12-11-2018, 16:18 PM
        Gordon999
        You have gained about 415-175 = £ 240K profit. over 180 months.

For PPR, you can claim 36 months + 18 months after moving out = 54 months exemption .

Capital gain after moving out = £ 240K x 126 /180 = £ 168K - £40K lettings relief - 11.5K ( cap allowance )
        12-11-2018, 14:17 PM
        jpkeates
        I wouldn't "expect" HMRC to challenge it.
        They're more focussed on people who should pay tax and don't, rather than people who pay some tax.
        Chances are you'll not hear anything - the level of detail on a tax return is quite low, so the unusual situation may not be obvious - the...
        12-11-2018, 11:13 AM
      Working...
      X