Gifted property value

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Gifted property value

    For CG calculation I need to establish the value of a house at a point in the past. Unfortunately I don't have any survey from the time of the gift, but the house has just sold so I have the value now. Is it acceptable to use the HPI figures for my area to work it out or do I have to pay a surveyor?

    many thanks,

    Needs a valuation by surveyor working from an estate agent located near to property. You should ask for quotes at b2 or 3 local estate agents with surveyor..


      I am not sure HMRC believe valuations from estate agents whether qualified surveyors or otherwise 0- and not a best of three approach.

      If substantial gains are involved I would get a proper independent surveyor.


        The valuation letter has to be signed by a qualified surveyor and NOT by the sales manager .


        Latest Activity


        • Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by Tony-Edwards
          Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

          Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

          Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
          11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
        • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by gnvqsos
          You seem to know a great deal of events in the 70s,or are you relying on hearsay?...
          19-08-2022, 16:41 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by gnvqsos
          very basic,indeed!
          19-08-2022, 16:37 PM
        • Capital Gains Tax
          by LVA
          Apologies if this has been covered in this website but I've looked and cannot find...

          I bought my flat in 1997, rented it out in 2001 (ish), returned to live in it in March 2020. Its approx 27 years ownership and 7 ish years living in it.

          My accountant tells me the CGT...
          16-08-2022, 12:59 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by AndrewDod
          Inflation as a form of indirect taxation is basic economics, well described in about 15 million academic articles....
          19-08-2022, 09:18 AM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by gnvqsos

          Inflation can be corrosive but it is not a tax ,as the government do not receive a corresponding income. The government spend money derived from either tax receipts ,trading income or by borrowing through the sale of securities/bonds. Printed money is distributed by commercial...
          18-08-2022, 18:59 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax
          by Gordon999
          The capital gains is charged at 18% or 28 % rate, and this depends on your job income, which is taxed at 20% or 40% .

          Assuming the capital gains tax rate is about 25% average , your total gain is probably around 4 x £50K = £200K ( or over. )

          If you are married...
          18-08-2022, 11:26 AM
        • Overseas
          by jase222
          I will be moving to Spain for between 6-9months and I will obviously be paying my taxes and I spoke to a Spainish tax accountant who said the authorities won’t be interested in anybody who stays for less than a year as long as you can prove you pay tax in your own country? I’ve never heard...
          17-08-2022, 08:05 AM
        • Reply to Overseas
          by jpkeates
          I suspect that the accountant wasn't citing the regulations, he was explaining the reality....
          18-08-2022, 11:18 AM
        • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
          by Tony-Edwards
          It wasn't meant to question HMRC - it was a response to the rude and thoughtless comments made by some....
          18-08-2022, 09:51 AM