CGT liability

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT liability

    I'd like to check my understanding of my CGT liability on a property I purchased in May 2013 for £188k, with the intention of letting it.

    The property was in need of refurbishment, and over the first 18 months of ownership I spent £7k on replacing the kitchen, bathroom, cloakroom, flooring, boiler and repainting.

    My plans then changed and I decided to move into it as my main residence which I eventually did in October 2015.

    I lived there until November 2016 when I moved to a different part of the country. The property was then empty until sold in June 2017 for £317k, and so has never been let.

    in terms of calculating my CGT tax liability, is the following correct?

    - the gain is the selling price (minus selling and solicitor costs), less purchase price (plus stamp duty and solicitor costs)?
    - can the gain be further reduced by the £7k refurb costs?
    - having calculated the net gain I have an exemption period (as a proportion of the total period of ownership) from October 2015 to June 2017, this being the period whilst it was my main residence, plus the period after that, since the final 18m is exempt if it has been ever used as a main residence - correct?
    - Finally, I'm sure I read somewhere that the first 12m of the refurbishment can also be exempt from CGT liability, in which case CGT would be due only on the period May 2014 until October 2015 - is that correct?


    If the property has never been let out and all the council tax bills are in your name, , you should claim main residence for the entire period from 2013 to 2017 and exemption to capital gains tax.


      I can't do that because I had PRR on the home I lived in until October 2015, and I can't claim it twice for that period


        This may help you : Helpsheet 283.


          Thank you - very helpful. Unfortunately it seems I cannot claim an additional 12m exemption for refurbishment because of the length of time between purchase and moving in. At least I'm clear now.


          Latest Activity


          • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
            by mpppen
            We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

            I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
            03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
          • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
            by Trevor62
            Thank-you for the link.

            Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

            Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

            Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

            Because I am an old dad and my...
            19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by Gordon999
            You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

            The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
            19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
          • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by Ollyn

            I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

            I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

            From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

            18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by ash72
            You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
            18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
          • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
            by theartfullodger
            You declare (online) and pay CGT within 60 days of sale. Depending on the numbers I would expect you to pay CGT. What records do you have of applicable costs, etc?

            What you pay will depend on what CGT rules when you sell - v unlikely to be better than today, possibly worse. Covid,...
            18-05-2022, 18:29 PM
          • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
            by Gordon999
            The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.

            If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

            If your annual gross...
            18-05-2022, 16:47 PM
          • Reply to Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
            by jpkeates
            It's £1,000 each.

            Most landlords don't use this though, because it's rare for income from a rental property to be low enough to qualify,
            18-05-2022, 09:59 AM
          • Tax Allowance on Rental Income.
            by banner257
            Can anyone help please, if a rental property is owned by two people 50 50. Would each owner be allowed to claim tax relief of £1000 each, or will the allowance of £1000 be split 50 50.
            18-05-2022, 08:42 AM
          • Consent to Let - do we still need to pay tax
            by VIKKI99
            Hi, For kids school - we need to let out our Own House and move to a rental property close to school.
            The rental money I receive from my tenants is exactly same as rent I pay on my property where I am a tenant.
            Question : Rental money I receive from Tenants - should it be considered as income...
            18-05-2022, 01:07 AM