World's worst word/phrase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's worst word/phrase

My nomination for worst neologism is HEADS UP (decided by tossing coin?)
    Is it the opposite of "heads down"? Surely, "heads down" means either:
    a. people asleep;
    b. people hard at work; or
    c. what Monica Lewinsky did to President Clinton.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

I reckon the opposite should be 'Bottoms Up'. A much nicer thought. Though maybe you could toss the coin to see whose round it is. In which case Heads I win - tails you lose!

Comment

Originally posted by DianeB View Post
      I reckon the opposite should be 'Bottoms Up'. A much nicer thought. Though maybe you could toss the coin to see whose round it is. In which case Heads I win - tails you lose!
      1. I thought that "Bottoms up" was a stage direction in Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream"- not to be confused with "Midsomer Murders" nor "Together in Electric Dreams".
      2. "Whose round it is"? All coins ARE round (except 20p, 50p, and the old 3d bit).
      3. "Heads I win" was the motto of the Tricoteuses in France.
      4. "Tails you lose" does not apply to mermaids.
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Another annoying one: in financial/numerical context- HEADING SOUTH.
        If you mean "going downwards" or "declining", say so.
        Why is south necessarily bad, or north good (except in England, of course, where that's self-evident)?
        Normally, and except as above, NORTH tends to imply:
        grim
        cold
        poor.
        Conversely, SOUTH tends to imply:
        warm
        beautiful [pop group]

Comment

I don't know, it's all just a bit of analogous/metaphorical wordplay. It's what makes language interesting and colourful; and in fact assists in conveying meanings.

The danger is overuse, then we have cliche', which these phrases have probably become.
          Now signature free.

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzo View Post
            I don't know, it's all just a bit of analogous/metaphorical wordplay. It's what makes language interesting and colourful; and in fact assists in conveying meanings.

The danger is overuse, then we have cliche', which these phrases have probably become.
            Cliches? They're like a red rag to a bull. I avoid them like the plague.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              Cliches? They're like a red rag to a bull. I avoid them like the plague.
              Yeah, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot barge pole either.
              Now signature free.

Comment

More worst words and phrases

Thinking out of the box
                Blue sky thinking
                Pushing the envelope
                Run it up the flagpole and salute it
                Does it [e.g. an idea or proposal] have legs
                The new black (etc.)

(Sigh) Is there a special institute where employees are engaged to coin nonsense neologisms? If so, why? Aren't there already sufficient ways of using accurate English to say anything that needs to be said?

Comment

Ooooo no..'they're' now making them pc. You're not allowed to say 'brainstorming' anymore - that could affend people people with mental problems - you have to say 'mind showering'. You've got to think outside the box....

Comment

You've got to think outside the box....
                    Could offend the homeless?

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Skengland View Post
                      Ooooo no..'they're' now making them pc. You're not allowed to say 'brainstorming' anymore - that could affend people people with mental problems - you have to say 'mind showering'. You've got to think outside the box....
                      I don't mind showering (it doesn't "affend" or even offend me) but prefer a bath.

Comment

Homeless?? Are you allowed to say that?? Surely it should be accommodationly challenged...

Comment

A few years ago I heard that there was a campaign to change the name of a certain town in the Midlands to Personchester
                          On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

Creaturechester would be more inclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by pcwilkins View Post
                              Creaturechester would be more inclusive.
                              But the reference to "chest" is provocative to those with a puerile sense of humour (guilty as charged, Your Honour).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X