Pilot Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Nukecad. I think you have sussed it.

I will take a new alarm over today.

Comment

New alarm fitted this afternoon, and I brought the old one home to test it.

Now it works perfectly on either set of batteries. I guess it sensed my need for it to work yesteday, and decided not to cooperate.

Comment

Loose contact that got joggled back into place during the journey?
        Dirt/dust that got shaken out during the journey?

Maybe you weren't holding your face right?

When I lived in the pub/hotel we used to get the fire alarm going off a lot at this time of year.
        We eventually worked out that it was spiders coming indoors from the cold, getting into the smoke/heat sensors and shorting them out.

Comment

This morning my tenant emailed me:

Good day JK0

I hope this finds you will.

The reason for my email this morning is a question about the heating.

We tried to turn it on last night for the first time since January, I read online that you need to give it 24 hours or so to heat up.

Its not heating up at all, in fact the red light on the wall plug in the passage is not even turning on? Am I missing something or could it just not be working?

Any advice would be much appreciated as its getting really cold in here.
          I replied:

Are all the breakers on in the fuse box? That's the only reason I can think of why the red light won't go on.
          (You know it only comes on 0215-0730 and 1400-1600).

What number do you have the input of the hall storage heater set to? (Should be about no. 4.)

Tenant replied:

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Yes its currently on 4 also have tried all settings on the input. The breakers are all in the on/up position? The boost timer in the cupboard is also working fine but there seems to be no power.

Could this be a safety or trip switch?
          I replied:

Not that I'm aware of. May I come over this afternoon around 2pm to investigate when the circuit comes on?
          Getting to the flat, I found the storage heater was switched off at the wall. Give me strength!

Comment

We put in plenty of Storage radiators twenty+ years ago however they tend to result in us getting very disappointing EPC scores today. The minimum score to be achieved will rise in the years to come. Therefor my advice to any landlords who can access the mains ga network is to upgrade to gas fired central heating as the scores given to storage rads are not awfully good. I gather there are a new generation of storage rad that gets a somewhat better score, but generally tenants will favour gas heating and pay a slightly better rent

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
              We put in plenty of Storage radiators twenty+ years ago however they tend to result in us getting very disappointing EPC scores today. The minimum score to be achieved will rise in the years to come. Therefor my advice to any landlords who can access the mains ga network is to upgrade to gas fired central heating as the scores given to storage rads are not awfully good. I gather there are a new generation of storage rad that gets a somewhat better score, but generally tenants will favour gas heating and pay a slightly better rent
              Thanks. Yeah, I know all that.

I deliberately bought flats with storage heaters to avoid the gas certificate nonsense. (It's even more relevant now a s21 eviction depends on it.)

The flats each came about £20k cheaper than similar ones with gas heating. Therefore I'm quite happy with less rent.

Comment

the gas certificate is quite useful as apart from anything else the gas engineer can usually advise whats actually going on in your property!

Comment

This is a great thread, I've not had anything like this yet but my tenant is certainly more than capable

Comment

Here's an odd one...

My tenants in a 3 storey house in London reported the chromed copper pipe leading to the shower head had split. This sounded very odd to me, as of course one end is open where the rose is. Investigating today, indeed it had split, and I spliced in a new piece. It hadn't frozen, though. It's on an internal wall. The rose had got so full of limescale that it became blocked, and the water pressure from the tank in the loft actually split the pipe!

I wouldn't have believed it could happen, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I left the rose in a pot of vinegar.

Comment

Yesterday my benefit tenant of 9 years dropped her keys through my letter box, as she is moving out. I've been over today to see what sort of state the place is in. I couldn't see a lot as the electricity had gone off and I had no key to open the meter box. I guess it remains to be seen if she even left the meter key.

The kitchen was pretty dire though. There must be twenty mould covered packs of salt stacked up, but no salt at all in the softener. It never seems to dawn on such tenants that the kitchen would be so much easier to clean with soft water.

FTA: I just tried to notify Reading Borough Council of the change... In order to do that I have to enter the reference no. from my council tax bill... The one I never had, as when the place was let you got 6 months grace after buying it.

Comment

Been back to that flat today...

I was correct, the meter key is missing. Just got off the phone with SSE. I have to pick up a key from a local shop, put it in the meter, ring SSE, and then I can go and get it topped up. What a palaver, eh?

I just took a photo of the stacked up salt. BTW, you can't believe how disgustingly greasy these are from being stacked by the cooker.

Comment

More palaver this morning... The shop I was told to pick up a key at, no longer has a paypoint contract. Still I suppose the two mile walk was good exercise. I have asked SSE to post me a key.

Comment

Never received a key so rang again yesterday. It turns out a shop across the road here can provide a key and top ups. I can't imagine why I was sent a mile away.

The meter has a £150 debt on it. Presumably my tenant has not been in residence for months, and this is just the £4 per week standing charge that has accumulated. I just rang the electricity company, and they offered to come and remove the debt if I stay there for 3 hours. I told them to forget it, and will swallow the debt myself.

Comment

Are you going to pursue the tenant for it? That’s quite an amount to swallow when you could have gone back 3 hours later to have it cleared

has she left in arrears also?

Comment

Originally posted by duckandcover1 View Post
                                Are you going to pursue the tenant for it? That’s quite an amount to swallow when you could have gone back 3 hours later to have it cleared

has she left in arrears also?
                                Nah. It's not that I have to go back 3 hours later. It's that they want me to stay there for 3 hours. This is for a meter in an exterior meter box. I bet they never insisted my tenant attend when they put the key meter in!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X