Experience of on-line letting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People walk past estate agent's shops and they're real places with real people in them and they've been there for years.
    Much more trustworthy than an anonymous "landlord" (with top hat and evil moustache).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Another contact made from another Agent... although, this time, they reckon that they have someone from the local football team (Rovers or Town or United, I do not know, or care) who they can slot in there straight away.

"Fill your boots" I said, again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippogriff View Post
        "Fill your boots" I said, again.
        I don't know what T&Cs your high street agents have, but are you not at risk of having fees demanded of you by them even if you end up letting via UPad or whatever? I get the concept - agency spends time, effort and money advertising a property, only for a prospective tenant who sees their advert to collude with the landlord and do a deal direct, bypassing the agent completely. Understandably that's a gap which most agents plug! Certainly happened to me once when selling my home - the agency was useless and it eventually sold to a personal contact of ours who had no dealings with the agent at all; however the agent's contract meant they still got their pound of flesh.

Comment

No, no risk... I've signed nothing with any Agent (apart from the fee I paid uPad up front) and I've been very clear that I would be happy to pay a Tenant Find fee if they are the ones that find me a Tenant. I genuinely do not mind paying out for uPad and then paying another Agent if they are the ones who are successful. But if there's no Tenant there's no fee. I would not do any collusion with anyone... I play with a straight bat. In your case, I presume you'd signed something with the Agent?

Comment

I presume you'd signed something with the Agent?
            It was 20 years ago so details are hazy, but presumably so, or I certainly wouldn't have coughed up!

Comment

All,

The Agent who got in contact regarding the football club wants to take on the property, at the ambitious price I'd gone for. This makes me happy. Turns out it's not for a footballer, but a Director.

Anyway, the fly in the ointment is that the Agent is telling me I can't use my own AST, I need to use a "non-Housing Acts agreement". I have received a draft of this that I'm poring through - but does anyone else here have similar reservations and any advice?

In addition, they want it to be for 12 months fixed term... as opposed to 6, which is now my normal approach... but I guess with it being a company I'd have little to worry about - but aren't football clubs always in debt and going into administration?

As always with you guys, I appreciate any input.

Comment

Company rents are different, which is what they're proposing (I've assumed a couple of things).
                Normal AST rules do not apply, so don't assume that your normal experience will count for anything.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

All,

The Agent who got in contact regarding the football club wants to take on the property, at the ambitious price I'd gone for. This makes me happy. Turns out it's not for a footballer, but a Director.

Anyway, the fly in the ointment is that the Agent is telling me I can't use my own AST, I need to use a "non-Housing Acts agreement". I have received a draft of this that I'm poring through - but does anyone else here have similar reservations and any advice?

In addition, they want it to be for 12 months fixed term... as opposed to 6, which is now my normal approach... but I guess with it being a company I'd have little to worry about - but aren't football clubs always in debt and going into administration?

As always with you guys, I appreciate any input.
                  I can't speak with any authority on this but the one time I let to company, they moved six people into a two bed flat (CAD architects visiting London on a 3 month project). I had understood there would be two sharers. Contract was in company name so there was no control over who actually stayed there.

Also, as the individuals themselves were not liable to me for anything, they smoked heavily in the flat despite non-smoking being in the contract.

I'm not saying don't let to a company, but it has pitfalls.
                  Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Thanks to both.

I guess we only learn by doing. I've taken a read through and I see various clauses that are like the ones you'd expect to see, so the agreement itself isn't a major concern (apart from what I don't know, of course). I reckon I'm going to go for it... I'm not desperate but it sure would be nice to avoid paying 100% Council Tax (no leeway at all for Landlords in the People's Republic of South Yorkshire).

Comment

Same in South London. Better to register yourself at the property and claim single occupier discount.

Given that a tenant of mine appears to have got away without paying council tax for 4 years by putting it in someone else's name (despite my notifying the council at the start and end of the tenancy) that is starting to look like an attractive option!
                      Assume I know nothing.

Comment

I think they'd class it as a second home, and there's no allowance for that either. Seems it's 100% all the way with Sheffield City Council... unless you're in prison as a convicted criminal or on remand... then you get relief (I've gone into that before... ludicrous).

Comment

I think you should do it for the good of passing on your experience to Landlordzone members!

They'll be using it as a doss house for transient young single blokes with more money than sense.

That is why they are willing to pay over the odds for it (I reckon it is sticking because it is overpriced).

They must have done this before, so ask for previous landlord's contact details.

As long as you are going into it with your eyes wide open, it should be ok.

My two relevant experiences; professional football player on loan, no problems whatsoever, moved his mum into the spare room. Weirdly formal and polite as if he had been coached to act like that.

Household name company let years ago (via a letting agent). No problems with the occupants but their finance department were nightmare payers. They were professionals at delayed paying- received the last payment about 6 months after they left.

Comment

Sheffield?
                            A Football Club?

Read the The Ched Evans guide to young footballer behaviour.

Comment

Seems it's 100% all the way with Sheffield City Council... unless you're in prison as a convicted criminal or on remand... then you get relief (I've gone into that before...).
                              Oh, what were you convicted of?

Comment

Post is getting very interesting.

My only experience of a company rent, is being a 'guest' to the tenants. A well known engineering company rented a stunning large property for the use of their employees, my former husband along with 4 other employees (all single lads initially) stayed there for about 2 years. The girlfriends or wife's frequently stayed and there was always, always parties. Fortunately my ex and his colleagues did respect the place and keep it clean and tidy and there was never any damage. With regard to the frequent parties, they probably got away with this because it was a big detached house in spacious grounds. You never knew who the guests were at the parties, they were always friends of friends and even the odd gate-crashers!

Often the employees would be moved/changed as they were needed for other specific jobs.

If you are going down this route - I would ask for a very large deposit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X