Why will no white male landlords accept DSS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David24 View Post
    You're joking right? I actually live in Balsall Heath right now, and that's where I rent my house. It's not called Varna Road anymore by the way, I think it's Alexandra Road now.
    Not joking at all, I was brung up at 83 Balsall Heath Road, smack bang between Princess Road and Varna Road. I remember well going to the Triangle and Luxor cinemas, and the scouts. I can remember walking home one night with my drum from the scouts and a lady asking if she could play with my drumstick. "No you can't Missus" says I, being very naive for a 13 year old.

The houses along there were all knocked down years ago to make way for the rabbit hutches you know now, they were very impressive for a kid that, up to the age of 7, lived in a squatters camp, having been bombed out during the war.

Strangely, even though the area was rife with ladies of the night and their pimps neither I nor my sister ever had any trouble, although that might have been because my Dad was a tough ex merchant navy type.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

I'm not a racist. But some ethnicities don't make good tenants. Not because of the colour of their skin, but because of the way they choose to live in the property. I could give examples of a group that likes to bring a whole bunch of people with them overcrowding rooms and they think it is OK even if they are not Ts, and there is another group that likes to play loud music till late at night which annoys neighbours.

Comment

Now the Asian guy who has never let to a DSS tenant will at least ask something like 'I'm not familiar with that, how does it work?'
        Erm - if that's the case I think you've just answered your own question! I'm one of your 'white British' landlords, and I do know how it works, and that's precisely why I don't let to tenants on benefits.

Comment

David24,

Maybe a couple of thousand doesn't mean as much to me as it does for you, I have no urge to put a mother with 2 young children on the street, Her Mum is being a responsible guarantor and gradually paying the arrears down. The property is owned outright so no mortgage to worry about. Anyway, putting her out now would involve a complete refurb, probably a new kitchen and possible voids, I'm happy with the status quo.

Don't forget that a loss on one place can be offset against the profits you make on another.

Comment

I am White and rent one property to a DSS claimant in one area as the rental income matches the LHA rates. If it did not then I would not rent to DSS in that area as collecting the extra money would add an unnecessary overhead.

I have only had one Asian landlord so I have no base to say why they are more relaxed if this is indeed the case.

If I owned my property outright then I may be more relaxed as JTA is. It's an interesting question and I wonder if the same is true else where in the country.

Comment

In the end it's all about risk and diversification. I decided to accept DSS tenants but only with a guarantor with sound financials. Because if their parents don't vouch for them then why should I?

So far all has been fine but let's not jinx it. In the end nobody is in anybody else's shoes so we never know the full story of what happened - but as a LL I run a business - tenants expect me to act professionally (which I hope I do) so I need to take reasonable investment decisions as well.

But maybe in Birmingham this is different - god knows what's going on there anyways

Comment

jta,

That's interesting. I live literally a 2 minute walk from Balsall Heath Road, it's mainly elderly couples that live on that road now, and a lot of Chinese residents have moved in/around those few roads over the last 10 years. Have you ever been back since you left? From what I've read it seems nearly all former residents who have moved on to pastures new are completely shocked by how different the area is, it must seem like a totally different place to them. I walk down Cheddar Road for instance to the shop and it must seem unrecognizable now from those days.

jpkeates you mention that fewer cash transactions from non DSS tenants. Why would a landlord view having cash handed to him to be negative? I have given my landlord cash in his hand since I first started living at my tenancy, and even the tenant before me he said would just meet him the pub every month to give him rent. Why is it bad for LL to take cash payment?

Comment

Originally posted by mattl View Post
                  In the end it's all about risk and diversification. I decided to accept DSS tenants but only with a guarantor with sound financials. Because if their parents don't vouch for them then why should I?
                  About the first part, I understand what you mean but what about people who don't have well off families or parents? Not everyone has a parent who earned enough to own their home to be a guarantor. I'm sure their parent can vouch for them, but it's not their fault if their parents can't do it financially. Some people just don't know anyone who earns enough, or has a stable enough income in the current climate to commit to being a guarantor. I have helped some single mothers on DSS that were looking for houses before and one main obstacle was the guarantor. A month later they were put in touch with an Asian family who had several houses in local areas. They moved them straight in the next week. No references or guarantor were needed. And the landlord (Asian guy) even organized their removals for free!

Comment

Why would a landlord view having cash handed to him to be negative? I have given my landlord cash in his hand since I first started living at my tenancy, and even the tenant before me he said would just meet him the pub every month to give him rent. Why is it bad for LL to take cash payment?
                    Because you're running a business, it's far better to have all your incomings and outgoings go through an account, taking rent in cash means you have to account for it, it's far easier to present your accountant with a set of statements at year's end showing your entire income than trying to remember what you actually did with that payment from last January, e.g.,,,,,,,, spent on a new kitchen, boozed it away, or whatever. My rule is absolutely everything is paid into one or another bank account, I never accept cash except for deposits and first month rents. I had a tax inspection 13 years ago and I never want that experience again, Mind you, if I'd got caught for all the naughties I got up to then I'd still be paying them.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with paying in cash, but it's riskier and more work than the others methods (that's mostly bank transfer) these days.

Comment

But won't the landlord not get the full portion of the rent if not paid in cash by DSS tenant? If he takes the money direct from council, how will the landlord acquire the top up off the tenant without confronting him in person to get the cash? If the rent is £500pcm and the landlord takes say £470pcm from the council. How will the landlord collect that £30 shortfall each month?

Comment

Originally posted by londiner View Post
                          I'm not a racist. But some ethnicities don't make good tenants.
                          The Oxford Dictionary has an interesting definition for you:

Racism [noun]
                          The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Comment

Perhaps according to that dictionary but I do not use that particular dictionary for my definitions.

Here is a definition for you from another dictionary. Racism: "hatred or intolerante of another race or other races." I do not approve of such things.

Comment

Wannadonnadoodah,

But anyway, I'm not sure that I understand that you are implying that the LL is renting the place to the tenant, yet the tenant has NO authority to look at it as his home at all?
                              You haven't understood what I'm saying at all. I tell my tenants that it's their home and to treat it as their home and then point out that I expect them to do things someone with a home would do, i.e change their own light bulbs, unblock their own toilet/sink, clean their own windows etc etc. What I was saying is, before someone can make it their home there is basic criteria from my view that I need fulfilled, in order to live in my property.

If the rent is £500pcm and the landlord takes say £470pcm from the council. How will the landlord collect that £30 shortfall each month?
                              T pays it in at a bank?
                              Standing order?
                              Direct Debit?
                              Paypal?
                              Electronic Transfer over the internet?
                              Cheque in the post?

And before you say that someone on benefits can't use these methods because of their finances then I don't want to be dealing with someone who's so financially inept, so another reason not to have them in my property.
                              "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by londiner View Post
                                Perhaps according to that dictionary but I do not use that particular dictionary for my definitions.

You mean that dictionary? :

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
                                2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
                                3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X