BBC Three to be axed as on-air channel .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Three to be axed as on-air channel .....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26447089

BBC Three is to be dropped from TV schedules and will move online, as part of the BBC's cost-cutting plans.
    Now I'm lucky I get 70mb download/15 mb upload speed

But what about those who get lower BB speeds or have No internet at all !

Bet they wont reduce the price of TVL due to this move,if it does go ahead ?

Computer says No

Thunderbirds are go

-About time too. As it programmes for 18-34, its best online where viewers on that bracket have shifted too.

That said the BBC is in markets which it was ground breaking to be in ion the 60s and 70's but since teh 80's has no need to be.

Commercial radio stations can do the job of radio 1 and it can be axed saving the eye watering right payment to play hit records.

Radio 2 likewise can axed be done by the local BBC stations which should say, and as some of them, and commercial stations do, syndicate breakfast and drive time shows with local programming at other times.

Radio 3 can go too and slots on radio 4 can be used with 4 extra being retained.

It needs another am frequency to expand sports and news under 5 live, and emerging and new market music and some sports on digital channels.

BBC 4 can go too and BBC 2 can take up that alternative programming slot, as it always did, from american drama to horizon to the young ones, and BBC1 can start showing the shows paid for out of licence fees, but resold to be paid for again on Gold and Watch.

The fact is that the BBC have no clue they put two huge rating winners Top gear and The Midwife at the same time and not a lot at other times.

Time for some sackings......
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

More on the move to the web

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26452235
      Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Agree with the decision. BBC3 is unnecessary. Can anyone explain why 5live isn't on FM?

Comment

Amplitude modulation takes less power and covers a wider area than frequency modulation FM which requires more power and covers a shorter area (to achieve the quality). Of course the more power the more coverage but in general am gets more coverage per watt. FM stations are also more valuable and therefore getting one national FM frequency, as Virgin found out, is quite hard as they are already sold in some areas. If you have stations which are x.5 and x.9 the frequencies are technically available but you need a lot of local transmitters as if you ramp up the power to get wider coverage x.9 will override x.5 on much equipment

Even today there are areas in the UK without FM reception, and as sensible people have jumped to digital, though not without its dark spots, they would not invest in it.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

in what universe do we need BBC4 and not BBC3??? 3 is excellent - and I am not the right age for it either!
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Thanks LHA, I could have googled that myself I suppose

Comment

No date set for digital radio switchover because so few people have given up on FM

Originally posted by QuestForFreedom View Post
                Agree with the decision. BBC3 is unnecessary. Can anyone explain why 5live isn't on FM?

Government aim is to shut down FM eventually,once everything has been moved to digital/DAB

But No date given yet !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-given-FM.html
                Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Welcome didn't have to google it thankfully its O level physics

The problem with digital is not just the obscure designs of products, but that they are relatively expensive, still have dark spots, are battery intensive and bulky, and so the users often jump the digitial radio to online listening on phones or tablets. Until they sort out that a lot of people are clinging to their "trannies"

Comment

Originally posted by 45002 View Post
                    Now I'm lucky I get 70mb download/15 mb upload speed
                    But what about those who get lower BB speeds or have No internet at all !
                    Bet they wont reduce the price of TVL due to this move,if it does go ahead ?
                    I don't see any problem.
                    BBC three never used to exist, it came in, now it goes out

You have 80+ Freeview channels, and I watch TV in the comfort of a front room, not on a computer. I don't pay for any cable / on line / satellite.
                    I see no problem that an "extra" channel is no longer on available on the TV screen.

It's gone, so watch others

Comment

The main point I'm referring to people with slower internet connection who are going to have problem watching telly on the internet.

There still a lot of people in the uk who do not have super fast BB,very slow speeds or no internet at all !
                      Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Originally posted by 45002 View Post
                        The main point I'm referring to people with slower internet connection who are going to have problem watching telly on the internet.
                        There still a lot of people in the uk who do not have super fast BB,very slow speeds or no internet at all !
                        But Telly is vast amounts of information transmitted through the air, at the fastest speed humanly possible, going through ONE transmittter, and one receiver ( your telly ).
                        Broardband, down a telephone wire can never cope with those speeds needed, - ever.
                        Broardband goes through a miltitude of pci cards in servers, intermediate servers, and not only is any broardband slow via the nature of the many connections, but it goes through scores of networks, which slows down a slow ( by it's very nature ) connection.

T.V. ( mass information ) is not designed to go through slow connections / multitude of connections, so it will always be slow.
                        You want to watch T.V. - it's watched ON a T.V.

As I said, one program of hundreds no longer is transmitted through the air ( BBC 3 came as an extra, now it's gone ), but no need to moan, as it's BEST transmitted through the Air, and not best though the internet. That's the physics of it.

Performing an internet trace of BBC.co.uk and BBC.com shows the number of landline connections the TV programe has to go through. ( Goes through network cards, I.O. cards, slave motherboards, underground cables, for Each of the 6 connections shown )

TraceRoute

Item one and two would be your own internet provider connections ( substitue your own )

1. vlan832.sw1.f1c11.iph.lon.as5587.net (212.69.192.3)
                        2. 821.gi0-1.rtr2.iph.lon.as5587.net (195.13.89.17)
                        3. ge-2-1-2-xur1.lah.uk.cw.net (195.11.50.26)
                        4. xe-11-0-0-xur1.lns.uk.cw.net (194.70.97.13) xur1.lns.uk.cw.net (194.70.97.9)
                        5. demon-te4-3-607.prt0.rbsov.bbc.co.uk (195.11.50.66)
                        6. * * * ( undisclosed location )

So TV over broardband to a home computer will never be as good as through the air.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X