Thanks for posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting

Just noticed this new facility. No problem with it, but I cannot help feeling it comes a little late and is potentially misleading. Well-established contributors with thousands of posts and only a couple of thanks against their names does make it look as if they never said much to merit thanks.

I think most people get used to it but I agree,on MSE there are many posts which are thanked, but which you know are wrong e.g insisting that the freeholder is the leaseholder and "I want to buy my lease" where they mean freehold. Posts longer than a few lines are also less likely to be thanked as all people want is as simple answer.

Your concern also applies where the answer given is not the one that the OP wanted to hear.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Very true LHA. Get a "thanks"

It all depends what the meaning of these kind of input. Does "thanks" imply that the information is correct, or that you agree with it? Everyone interprets that differently, and no-one knows what are the credentials of the people clicking.

Comment

Good point about the Thanks total, what are your views about having all Senior Member (perhaps any that request it as the list is rather long) thanks counters set to a percentage of your total posts?

eg. LHA your thanks stats if we used 10% would read Thanked 1335 Times in 13,353 Posts

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
          Does "thanks" imply that the information is correct, or that you agree with it? Everyone interprets that differently.
          Why do we need to know WHO read the post, and who "Thinks" it's useful ?
          Do we know them ? are we going to invite them round for Tea ?

Do we realy NEED these
          The Following x Users Say Thank You to xx For This Useful Post:

inbetween the posts. It's just distracting, and to be honest, not required.

This is not a social media site, next thing you will all want is family pictures, music, MP3's playing in the background, or want to leave messages such as - "I like this crap on the internet and I bought it - totaly useles, but I bought it anyway", then we will get the usual facebook crap of "I'm bored today, talk to me".
          Then Admin will "Try" and force version 5 vBulletin® crap onto us that is "So exciting" and does not work but promises a wealth of multimedia rubbish.

Keep it simple, questions and answers.

Comment

I think the ‘thanks’ function is/was a reasonable request that was supported by a number of members; this isn’t the first time it has been asked for. I also think it’s been very well implemented in a short space of time but constructive comment on how it might be improved would be welcome.

I understand that the change will not be to everyone’s taste, and some will see no need for it at all, but I would say it goes a little way to providing some extra satisfaction to many of the people offering free help and advice here.
            I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
              I think the ‘thanks’ function is/was a reasonable request that was supported by a number of members;
              That is fine, but there was no need to reply, as there are people for it, and people against it. Justification is not needed. You like it or you hate it !

Comment

I can't see a reason for the thanks to appear as they do. Just a simple thanks button and count would be sufficient.
                I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

I think it would be better for voting to be applied to only the posts as opposed to the post and the user.

So just an ability to like/vote up/+1 a particular post, don't think any need to allow dislikes too for reasons other people have already mentioned namely that people often don't like to hear the right advice.

That would still let people signal their agreement with the points made in a particular post, without turning it into a competition (for those who are so minded) between different users for accumulated thanks.

Isolating the votes for each post would also prevent any distortion (of the fashion lawcruncher mentioned) resulting from giving users total scores in every post they make.

The thanks/likes are a good idea, but I think it should be about signalling the quality of the advice in a particular post, as opposed to trying to say something about the poster overall, that approach works in favour of longstanding users and newbies alike, the quality of the post is the only factor in the score presented.
                  I'm not a lawyer, what I say is the truth as I understand it. I offer no guarantee except good intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeysee View Post
                    … don't think any need to allow dislikes too …
                    If that were implemented then I think I would quickly have the largest negative count in the forum.

For the positive counts, I think all the regular helpful members, and there are many of you, will quickly accumulate significant numbers.

Comment

On a similar topic, how about the requirement for at least ten characters in a post? A date, for instance, is eight characters in dd/mm/yy format, and this could be a legitimate post. In fact I have at least once sent an email consisting of a single character. If it is changeable, would suggest reducing or removing this limit. If it needs to be there, I would suggest 8 characters.

"Brevity is the soul of wit" - Shakespeare
                      There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

How often have you felt the need to post such a short reply and in those cases was it really a problem to add extra characters?

On most forums where a minimum character count is used, the main aim is to increase the quality of posts by avoiding one word replies like ‘lol’ which can rapidly become annoying to most members. I can’t say I see this as a problem on these forums, posts very rarely get close to the low character limit.

Comment

I think the thanks thing clutters up the forum and is unnecessary. Mind you we manatees just do our own thing, never expecting any thanks....
                          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Ahhh, but for every 10 thanks you get 100kg of algae wafers - I made a donation
                            I'm not a lawyer, what I say is the truth as I understand it. I offer no guarantee except good intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                              I think the thanks thing clutters up the forum and is unnecessary.
                              Originally posted by monkeysee View Post
                              The Following User Says Thank You to islandgirl For This Useful Post:

monkeysee

Yet my quote
                              "Do we realy NEED these
                              The Following x Users Say Thank You to xx For This Useful Post:
                              inbetween the posts. It's just distracting, and to be honest, not required".

Gets no thanks at all, and gets a reply from the moderator telling me to be constuctive, yet no moderator reply to islandgirl for saying the same thing.

TOTAL waste of time................. distracting, not required, misleading and especialy when someone thanks someone then immediately writes a reply below the "thanks" ..................

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X