Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your money is no good Sir.

Its one of those frustrating moment where “ I can’t believe it!”

I put in £4 into a self abuse machine in a supermarket to pay £3.10.

I get 2, 5ps and……. 80p in 2p pieces back!

What do you do with hand grenades worth of change?

Now I know
    • banks don’t like accepting change and often cap it to a few £ or change bags are as rare as rocking horse droppings,
    • supermarket “coin a lot of commission” machines take up to 11p in the £, that’s when they aren’t full of buttons and euros
    • and that supermarkets, once a good place to empty your desk of change, have filled the coin cups with slots making it hard to insert more than 1 coin at a time

But taking revenge by giving you enough change to pull your trousers down or get you accused of sexual harassment when standing close to a seated member of staff, is a step too far.

They did change it back to useable money, one benefit of being able to loom, but were far from happy as they have to count it later to cash up.

I say its about time we got rid of 2ps 20ps and 50ps and keep it to 1 5 and 25 and supermarkets and banks be told “ accept the money, or else”.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Royal Mint guidelines ( ok guidelines not rule) state that 1p and 2p coin is legal tender up to 20p so you could presumably have rejected the torrent?

Always had problems when depositing children's piggy bank contents despite presenting coins in bank's own bags duly counted. Was once told in empty bank that I would hold up the queue. A protest to duty manager did secure £2 in compensation which impressed my daughter enormously and proved a good lesson in complaining effectively- polite but very firm does work.
    She now works for FCA

Comment

Originally posted by Slepewalker View Post
      Royal Mint guidelines ( ok guidelines not rule) state that 1p and 2p coin is legal tender up to 20p so you could presumably have rejected the torrent?
      I would have said exactly the same. Surely there is a statute somewhere out there that confirms that coppers are only legal tender up to 20p so next time this happens simply go to the customer service desk and complain and ask them to repay you at least double

EDIT: A quick search makes you wiser:

s. 2 Coinage Act 1971

Comment

A self abuse machine? What will they think of next? Isn't it rather embarrassing doing that in a supermarket?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X