You are in the Mood For Christmas when......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the Xmas muzak is no longer annoying and you start to hum along

What gets you in the mood ?
    ( careful there may be junioir landlords reading this!)
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

...You leave it until now to buy a tree. The only ones you can find cost £42, your budget is £30 and the Scroogey man on the market won't reduce them (even though nobody else is buying them now except you). So you set off home disappointed, then see that the garden centre has even nicer ones reduced from £45 to £25!

You get home, dig the decorations out of the loft, especially the drunken-prostitute-fairy-with-the-lop-sided -smile and the three-legged camel (made by children when small), pour a glass of red wine and set to decorating it.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

The present Mrs Wookie is off work today. We've not yet put up the decorations (OK, we're a little humbuggy). She's offered to put up the decorations before I get home.
      Why does it cause me concern that her parting words when I got in the car were, "where's the hammer?"
      I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

I'm not buying a tree. There's not much room in my house. I've too much paperwork in piles about the place - all these S21s and MCOL files.

I put some baubles up on threads from the light to the walls. But my elder son is so tall he bumps his head on them so he's pushed them all to one end of the thread and I now have clumps of baubles.

Also, I've got several cats (but one less than a couple of days ago ) and they always claw the baubles off the tree.

I've been looking for a 1/4 tree (ie 1/4 going up not across!) that can be put in a corner. I can't find one. Surely I can't be the only person with no room for a tree.

Comment

We have that problem some years. The solution is to banish one of the older children to a cold, distant part of the house. They take up a disproportionate amount of room, I find.

Could you not put the tree in the garden so you can see it when you look out of the window?
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

when shining up your balls, mist them with pepper dissolved in distilled water. once sniffed the felines stay away.

you know its close to xmas when.......you are bored of mince pies.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

mtg - I've tried very hard on the banishing idea. I even bought a 10x12 foot shed for the elder son, but he feels left out of family life. Ahhhhhhhhhh

Good idea about the outside tree. I have a very small almost bonsai one that teh boys brought home from nursery about ..... oh 13 years ago. It's only 18" high. Might need repotting. But i've got a grapevine growing up the wall, I could put lights in that.

And lha I'll be sure to polish my balls in the way you suggest. Then I'll hang them in my bush!

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
                And lha I'll be sure to polish my balls in the way you suggest. Then I'll hang them in my bush!
                You owe me a keyboard now. Double and triple entendres. disgusting (snigger)
                I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Wookie View Post
                  The present Mrs Wookie is off work today.
                  Do you plan on changing her soon?

Comment

Originally posted by QuestForFreedom View Post
                    Do you plan on changing her soon?
                    Not too soon, I hope, although if I find that the decorations were installed with the aid of a hammer then I reserve the right to review the present situation. I tend to be the DIY delegate for the house as the dear lady is a liability with anything more fixy than sellotape.
                    I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Wookie View Post
                      Not too soon, I hope, although if I find that the decorations were installed with the aid of a hammer then I reserve the right to review the present situation. I tend to be the DIY delegate for the house as the dear lady is a liability with anything more fixy than sellotape.
                      Perhaps she is just having a go at all those jobs you promised to do but didn't

Comment

When you ( in this case, a daughter) parties so late that she gets up this morning, showers, and puts on her dressing gown to join us for some breakfast, she is asked;

" Are you planning to rinse the shampoo out of your hair?"

Comment

when middle one's Birthday and trip to the cinema with his mates to see The Hobbit (now an annual event) has passed...let Christmas begin!
                          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                            when middle one's Birthday and trip to the cinema with his mates to see The Hobbit (now an annual event) has passed...let Christmas begin!
                            We saw it "yawn"... better than the last one but not exactly " must get it on DVD or lets see it again"

Comment

You look out the armoured gloves, as you know that any rustling wrapping paper will be attacked by the cats in full claw.

They will even ignore turkey or treats to play with it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Brexit
                                craig2222
                                I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
                                30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                islandgirl
                                As for fruit pickers, I know strawberry farmers who bring seasonal workers from non-Eu countries every year (eg Russia etc) and have queues of people wanting to work the picking season here...no unpicked fruit there....
                                21-10-2019, 23:08 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                Kape65
                                "EU immigration has continued to fall since 2016 and is at its lowest level since 2013. This is mainly because of a fall in immigration for work, which is now less than half the level it was at its peak in the year ending June 2016." Office for National Statistics

That's a major...
                                21-10-2019, 19:30 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                theartfullodger
                                "The Times" today...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...away-ctsdvtbsw...
                                21-10-2019, 18:47 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                ram
                                You get taken to court in U.K.for calling some one a Nazi

"May" signed the pact, and not one of the U.K. citizens were asked if they want to financially support 3rd world unskilled people, apart from having no where to put them, and our homeless are still homeless.
                                If they...
                                21-10-2019, 18:31 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                theartfullodger
                                Just get remain done...
                                21-10-2019, 18:20 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                islandgirl
                                "Although you don't like it, is a fact that the 2016 referendum, like almost all referendums in the UK, was advisory." When you are in a hole.....
                                21-10-2019, 18:14 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                Macromia
                                The countries being referred to as 'their world countries' here are NOT countries in the EU, and the UN is NOT the EU.

Regardless of whether or not Theresa May was right to sign the UK up to this pact - it has nothing at all to do with the EU.

This is a rant that has no relevance...
                                21-10-2019, 17:20 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                Macromia
                                This pretty much hits the nail on the head.
                                I think that, if polls of Conservative party members hadn't shown that most members think that holding another referendum, or not going ahead with Brexit, would pretty much mean the end of the Conservative party, and that members would apparently prefer...
                                21-10-2019, 17:04 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                Macromia
                                Although you don't like it, is a fact that the 2016 referendum, like almost all referendums in the UK, was advisory.
                                If the referendum hadn't been advisory, there would not still be any argument as to whether or not politicians should be supporting leaving the EU on the basis of the result of...
                                21-10-2019, 16:41 PM
                              Working...
                              X