Clocks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clocks

Its the last weekend before BST ends and the clocks go back, dragging night into day.

Its the cue to long walks on Sunday afternoons and a spot of tea to warm you up on the return, hosing down dogs and children, who will always find the dirtiest pile of leaves and muddiest puddle.

It will also fill the papers* with the various “should we, shouldn’t we” “double BST “ “ historical farming thing” and “think of the Europeans who can’t get us on the phone” ( despite most of them taking most of the summer off, striking or just being Greek).

So as usual, I have the solution.

I accept that we need to tweak clocks a bit to prevent the school run turning into a demolition derby, but over three freaking months after baby Jesus turns 2014** is too much!

It makes a for a long dark depressing drag so I suggest we spring forward 1st Sunday in March in future and cheer ourselves up, even if snow is on the ground.

*That is of course unless Boris and George declare undying man love and settle in a little villa on Costa del Shanghai. Watching the TV footage, it could happen.

** That’s a huge cake..
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Suggestion.

Stop giving our children a false sense of security. IT GOES DARK EVERY DAY. that's life.

Leave the clocks where they are.
    It is illegal not to drive without lights on your car when it is dark.

New cars are now fitted ( by law ) with high intensity sidelights, so little Johny can see the cars even in the daylight when he crosses the road.
    "Namby pamby state" if you ask me.

Even in your recent post, students - who have now left shool, still get off the bus and walk in front of it to cross the road, risking DEATH by being run over by the bus that is now driving off, rather to the back of the bus so the road is not obscured by the bus, so changing the time by one hour will make no difference to them.

In California, ALL traffic must stop, yes - stop, in both directions when a school bus stops ( with it's red lights flashing )
    This tells the school children that the world stops for them, and they can run into the road without looking, as it is against the law not to stop -- on BOTH sides of the road.

So when little Johny leaves school, the very first public transport bus he uses, when he gets off, he will think the world still stops for him, and run out into the road without looking = instant death because he has been wrapped up in cotton wool, and the real world has been kept from him.

Leave the clocks where they are to teach parents and children that it goes dark you know.

Comment

We lived in Scotland when the year clocks were not turned back, and while we went to school in the dark, the alternative applied to going home in the dark when they did.

The iodea of going home in the dark for over 3 months is depressing and cutting a month out of that would perk a lot of people up.
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Wish they left the times as they are.

Comment

Reminds me of a very long winter working night shifts in Inverness. I had three month stint of working 13 out of 14 days, night shift from 2200 to 0800 between November and March. Your body clock changes and you get used to going to bed when you get home. So I was arriving home (it was dark), going to bed (it was dark), waking up late afternoon (it was nearly dark), going to work (it was dark). I felt like dracula on a bad day. It wasn't a clock change I needed, it was a latitude change.
          Had a friend that spent a season working in Kirkiness on the north cape of Norway. Sent him fruit loop within weeks.
          I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Why do you think the Scots invented whisky? It's required to get through winter.

Comment

Originally posted by QuestForFreedom View Post
              Why do you think the Scots invented whisky? It's required to get through winter.
              Sadly, very sadly, I can't drink the stuff. Although having my formative years in Speyside does mean that I can identify a great number of malts by colour and smell alone!
              On the plus side, it keeps the wife quiet.
              I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                Suggestion.

Stop giving our children a false sense of security. IT GOES DARK EVERY DAY. that's life.

Leave the clocks where they are.
                It is illegal not to drive without lights on your car when it is dark.

New cars are now fitted ( by law ) with high intensity sidelights, so little Johny can see the cars even in the daylight when he crosses the road.
                "Namby pamby state" if you ask me.

Even in your recent post, students - who have now left shool, still get off the bus and walk in front of it to cross the road, risking DEATH by being run over by the bus that is now driving off, rather to the back of the bus so the road is not obscured by the bus, so changing the time by one hour will make no difference to them.

In California, ALL traffic must stop, yes - stop, in both directions when a school bus stops ( with it's red lights flashing )
                This tells the school children that the world stops for them, and they can run into the road without looking, as it is against the law not to stop -- on BOTH sides of the road.

So when little Johny leaves school, the very first public transport bus he uses, when he gets off, he will think the world still stops for him, and run out into the road without looking = instant death because he has been wrapped up in cotton wool, and the real world has been kept from him.

Leave the clocks where they are to teach parents and children that it goes dark you know.
                Measures to stop children being killed unnecessarily really is the nanny state gone mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                  Measures to stop children being killed unnecessarily really is the nanny state gone mad.
                  Brilliant.

(Perhaps 'avoidably' rather than 'unnecessarily', though...?)
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    Brilliant.

(Perhaps 'avoidably' rather than 'unnecessarily', though...?)
                    no, leave it as 'unnecessarily', thereby leaving the blame on the child and parents, as if you use "avoidable" we will all have to stop our cars between the hours of 7am and 9 am when a bus stops, in case there are children on board going to school.

Comment

no, leave it as 'unnecessarily', thereby leaving the blame on the child and parents, as if you use "avoidable" we will all have to stop our cars between the hours of 7am and 9 am when a bus stops, in case there are children on board going to school.
                      You don't half talk some nonsense at times.

Unsurprisingly you have misunderstood the point of my remark, which was about the pragmatics of the two words, but since it was addressed to Lawcruncher and not you, it doesn't really signify.
                      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                        You don't half talk some nonsense at times.

Unsurprisingly you have misunderstood the point of my remark, which was about the pragmatics of the two words, but since it was addressed to Lawcruncher and not you, it doesn't really signify.
                        As "Measures to stop children being killed unnecessarily really is the nanny state gone mad" was a reply to my post, and not you, so your comments are of no relevance to me and will be ignored.

some of your ideas on life, are nonsense, but i don't publicly disagee with you.

Comment

As "Measures to stop children being killed unnecessarily really is the nanny state gone mad" was a reply to my post, and not you, so your comments are of no relevance to me and will be ignored.
                          But you haven't ignored my comments. You've done just the opposite and taken issue with them (even though they were not directed at you in any case).

some of your ideas on life, are nonsense, but i don't publicly disagee with you.
                          On the contrary! You disagree with virtually everyone on the forum, most of the time. Your posts are notoriously dyspeptic. That's your privilege, but don't delude yourself that you are in any way in agreement with me or anyone else (apart from leaseholdanswers perhaps, who seems to share your views on some issues).

Comment

Avoidable might well have been what LC had in mind, however, unnecessary is relevant, depending on the point of view of the author. To comment that a death is/was unnecessary, due to the absence of precaution, whether the individual’s or the state’s, is an appropriate context.

RAM’s pov is not invalid either. While it might be rather bizarre to some, viewing a death as necessary, even a "necessary evil", in that it made the point to others to take precautions, is an appropriate context.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
                              RAM’s pov is not invalid either. While it might be rather bizarre to some, viewing a death as necessary, even a "necessary evil", in that it made the point to others to take precautions, is an appropriate context.
                              Good try. But I doubt that was what he was trying to say, since it runs counter to his original, 'Darwinian' argument.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Brexit
                                craig2222
                                I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
                                30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                Macromia
                                ram:
                                Do you think that the building site and bus driver jobs that you mention weren't previously available to "indigenous people"?
                                All jobs that have been 'taken' by immigrants from the EU have been available to people who were born in the UK - if they were prepared to take them....
                                17-10-2019, 14:41 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                jpkeates
                                I don't personally see anything wrong with the EU notion of free movement.
                                You're free to move to work anywhere, and, provided you're employed, you're entitled to all of the same benefits as a national of the country you're working in.
                                If you're not employed, your right to reside elapses...
                                17-10-2019, 08:48 AM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                islandgirl
                                OK so Ram you have tempted me very briefly back in. People used to come and work here BEFORE we joined the EU on work visas. They would come for farm work (family experience of this) from not only the EU but across the world. Getting labour if it is needed is not a problem. The difference is that on...
                                17-10-2019, 08:36 AM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                ram
                                sorry, not correct. But time restrains prevent me from disproving your argument.
                                But whatever anyone writes on here will NOT change how the treasonous Government screw us.[/SIZE]...
                                17-10-2019, 08:18 AM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                jpkeates
                                The flaw in that argument is that there is currently negative unemployment in the UK.

There are thousands of unfilled jobs, 50,000 in the NHS alone (mostly for non medical positions) and the number of unemployed people is so low that its made up of people who can't or won't work (plus the...
                                17-10-2019, 07:39 AM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                ram
                                Well, the building sites will eventually have British workers on them ( more jobs for the indigenous people ).
                                No more closing down of bus companies because they replaced bus drivers with foreigners who could not read road signs, which made them dangerous drivers ( look it up) so more jobs for...
                                16-10-2019, 23:47 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                islandgirl
                                Nope, not enough there to tempt me back!
                                16-10-2019, 22:44 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                Macromia
                                I'm for a future where the Uk's government, and the voting public in the UK, can directly influence our future and we retain as many freedoms as possible and have the best possible trade opportunities.

This means remaining in the EU.
                                Leaving the EU really doesn't give the UK more...
                                16-10-2019, 19:56 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                islandgirl
                                I give up! You either get it or you don't. You are either for a future of our choice or a future of choices made by a super-expensive group of non- accountable bureaucrats. As I say, I give up. For now....
                                16-10-2019, 19:20 PM
                              Working...
                              X