What's up with my T**t**?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road maps 100% wire and assembly free

My mind jumps to that scene from the Muppet Movie where Kermit and Fozzie both end up behind the map in a moving car, and slowly peek out from behind it when they realise. And that great line as he sais "turn right at the fork in the road", and low and behold, there in the road is a 6ft fork. Classic. BWL
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by bandontherun
      Garmin are standard issue to the US Military worldwide. I have found them so much better than T**T**.
      I think you mean G**M** are much better than T**T**. Clear posts, please.

To be fair if they are issued to the U* M******* it may have a lot to do with them being an American company, whereas T**T** is Dutch.

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      Well that was a waste of money. Once again it requires another piece joined on to it, and a wire aerial stretched across the windscreen to give the traffic service. As if anyone is going to keep assembling that every time they get in and out of the car.
      I have a similar, older (I think), model: The aerial can be fixed at the bottom of the windscreen and is basically invisible. It merges into the USB power cable so when getting in the car there's nothing extra to assemble, just connect the unit as usual.

It works fine and the unit does use the traffic info to adjust the itinerary: Try driving between Berkshire and Gatwick airport around rush hour and see it work hard trying to avoid the M25 and M3/M25, M23/M25 junctions

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Comment

Driving from B*rksh*re to LGW-

"join M3 or M4 eastbound, join M25 anti clockwise, turn right at M*rsth*m".

Totally M*p or Sat Nav free.

& Leave an hour earlier and avoid traffic and enjoy the lounge.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
            Leave an hour earlier and avoid traffic and enjoy the lounge.
            Ah yes but today there are road works or an accident, so M25 is jammed. And now you're trapped

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
              Ah yes but today there are road works or an accident, so M25 is jammed. And now you're trapped
              I had the misfortune of being behind the poor person who drove their car under a jack knifed truck on the M25. We were all trapped for hours on a sunny day with everyone giving up and sitting on the grass banks near Leatherhead.

It's rarely that pleasant though. But crawling along the A25 is another kind of Hell!

Comment

My broadband has been slowish lately, and running perfmon, I see that Garmin map updates are using an enormous amount of bandwidth.

I am minded to remove the Garmin program, and just reinstall it when I need it. Is this going to give me trouble when I do that?

Comment

You should have the option to stop it so that it doesn’t run as a background task, then you can run it as required from the start menu. That’s what I generally do, just run it when I connect the Sat-Nav to the laptop to update maps etc.
                  I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

I love my old TT - I once took all the euro maps off it, bought USA ones, used it over there then moved all the euro ones back on! Although it is getting a bit tired now (6 years old) it still works very well. When I had a problem with it a few weeks ago (not picking up sats, running slow) I brought it in and gave it a bloomin' good overnight charge from the mains and voila, good as new!
                    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
                      You should have the option to stop it so that it doesn’t run as a background task, then you can run it as required from the start menu. That’s what I generally do, just run it when I connect the Sat-Nav to the laptop to update maps etc.
                      Thanks. I just tried to do that, but there was no option to pick. I have deleted all Garmin files, and will live with the consequences.

Comment

I just tried to do that, but there was no option to pick.
                        Sounds very odd. What program is this? I have Garmin Express, which gives me the following (from the 'gear' icon on the toolbar):

Capture.JPG

And/also/or, have you tried looking in the "Startup" folder in your Program list?

Comment

Thanks. I just tried to do that, but there was no option to pick. I have deleted all Garmin files, and will live with the consequences.
                          Well, that was silly of me.

I'd now like to update my Garmin, and Garmin Express won't install. I've tried updating windows, and God knows what, but no luck.

BTW, I plugged my Garmin into the car yesterday for the first time in maybe 6 months. It had the same problem as that blasted Tomtom. It couldn't find any satellites.

Anyone know a make that is happy to be unplugged? (Give me strength)

Comment

I have a Garmin. It was the top model a year ago when I bought it, and I've been using Garmins for several years now.
                            The power cable acts as the traffic navigator.
                            You can leave the whole thing in place if you're not worried about theft, so nothing to physically install and re-install.

Regarding map updates, I don't think it's that critical and you shouldn't need to do it for at least a year.
                            based
                            Regarding the software issues, Garmin has excellent customer support. Just call them and they'll walk you through everything. They're not located somewhere in Asia either. It's US based normal speaking people.

Comment

Thanks Bird. Actually I have been discussing the map updates with Garmin online help. The program I originally used to update the maps no longer connects even though I reinstalled it.

Now you have to install a program called 'Garmin Express'.

However, downloading this to my computer, it will not install. Garmin's diagnosis? See below:

Dear JK0,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

I am more than happy to help.

Unfortunately, the only thing I can suggest is using different computer as there may be problem with your operating system itself.

I apologize for inconvenience caused.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know. Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

Please help us improve the service we offer you by taking our Customer Support survey. Please click the following link:

https://www.garmin.com/Feedback/se/533892595EADF49A

Kind regards,

Jakub

Garmin Europe

Give a Garmin this Christmas: www.garmin.com/holiday

__________________________________________________ ____________
                              What a joke, eh?

They have successfully made my Garmin redundant after only 3 years, despite me paying for lifetime updates.

Comment

Yeah, that's annoying. Sounds like web chat though. Try talking on the phone. They might be more understanding and supportive. Maybe...

Or, they'll give you credit for your Garmin to replace it with another one that works with your computer.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X