Replacing kitchen extension.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing kitchen extension.

I have a brick kitchen extension (that currently includes cooker / sink / washing machine) that I want to replace. Probably with a structure that would fulfil the same purpose but be of a 'conservatory' type construction.

Now I also have a tenant that looks like he will be a long-termer, so I want to cause as little hassle as possible.

Any ideas? Don't mind putting T up in a hotel for a week but beyond that is a bit impractical, and as far as I can see, the works are not going to be completed in such a short timescale

We ask the question - Why ?

A 'conservatory' type construction will need more maintenence in future.
    and I for one could not envisage being in a kitchen that has panoramic
    views and be subject to lots of full height windows alowing everyone to
    see what I was doing.

It may be more cost effective to say, no rent payable for the length of
    the conversion, as hotel costs will be more then the monthly rent, and
    tenant will have to go back for change of cloths, personal items, collect
    the post, so he may as well stay there, use a microwave for food, and
    soak cloths in bath ( Like I had to do before I could afford a washing
    machine many many years ago ).

But up to you. If I was given the choice of not having to pay rent
    during the conversion, still be able to sleep in my own bed, watch the
    T.V. in the front room, be at home to receive land line calls, some of
    which could be important, be able to have a bath ( on a nice soft layer
    of cloths being washed ) I would rather have that than being a hotel
    room.

R.a.M.

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering that. Also, isn't there a risk the conservatory will melt from the heat of the cooker?

Comment

Yeah, I was wondering that. Also, isn't there a risk the conservatory will melt from the heat of the cooker?
        How low are your ceilings that a cooker might melt them!

The one that jumps to mind is Gordon Ramsay's kitchen at his home and I can think of several homes which have the kitchen not in a conservatory but in a conservatory type structure ie largely glass with structural members.

I would suggest paying something towards the tenant's annual holiday eg one week of two, and perhaps incorporating the brick structure into the design, say take off the roof and half the walls and build up with glass from there, and laying foundations floor and services outside before demolition.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks so far guys -

Rent free is a no go because he is LHA!
          The current structure needs to come right down, built close to the sea with a high water-table. Although there is no immediate danger, there is movement and I'm going to have to do something - eventually (read a couple of years).

'Conservatory' is lighter for foundations and quicker to construct. The vague plan is for the wall that the cooker/main units is against will be lined with plasterboard - works in my current home.

However, maybe I can combine RaM & LHA answers and offer to pay for half his holiday - at some other time.

I expect my plans to change repeatedly over the coming months

Comment

As you will be redesigning, fit a cooker hood, with piping that definitely
            allows heat to travel up and out without use of the fan.
            Don't expect tenants to use extra electric when they don't have to.

You only need a 10 degree upwards slope to outside.
            But make sure which way the wind blows, as you dont want wind
            hitting side of building and blowing cold air in !

Last place I had, had cupboards ( units )over the cooker, usual height,
            and everything was o.k. I did think of putting a plate under the cupboard
            over the cooker, on 6 screws and spaces to leave a small gap between
            heat sheild and unit, but never got round to it, as no one sells sheets
            of asbestos any more. ( Nowt wrong with asbestos heat sheild )

Aluminium alloy heat sheild would work o.k.

Anyway, you have a few years to design it.

R.a.M.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
              As you will be redesigning, fit a cooker hood, with piping that definitely
              allows heat to travel up and out without use of the fan.
              Don't expect tenants to use extra electric when they don't have to.
              Excellent idea it could be focal point.
              Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

ram, why do your posts always look like poems? (But aren't!)
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  ram, why do your posts always look like poems? (But aren't!)
                  Because certain versions of this program ( vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 )
                  is / was made for stupid wide screens and silly resolutions, so
                  adverts could be put on both sides of the posts.

I use resolution of 800 x 600 ( no need to be any bigger ) but when
                  previously viewing other posts, 4 or 5 words at the end of sentences
                  could not be read -impossible to be read, unless you changed the
                  screen resolution to 1400 x
                  So when I write my posts, to be read at screen resolution of
                  800 x 600, I press enter at about the 12th word to start another
                  line,so the millions of others who use that acceptable resolution,
                  dont lose the last words in the sentences.

O.K. it may go to 13 words, and one word gets on a new line all on
                  it's own, so me thinks you may have 800 x600 resolution.

Or

If the post seems to take up half the width of other posts, then you
                  have your resolution at least 1024 0r 1400 x

I purposely keep the resolution ay 800 by 600, as any higher, the
                  printis too small for easy reading.

This line is now written with no carriage return ( enter ) and will fill all the available space on the screen, and if your screen is the width of the room, the sentence will be the width of the room.

Anyway, it was to make sure no words were lost on screen.
                  You may not understand if you have a wide screen at resolution
                  larger than 800 x 600.

It's easier to show people the ( previous ) problem by changing the
                  screen resolutions in front of them, to see happens to the text.

Sorry -- too early in the morning to put this any other way.

Comment

Sorry -- too early in the morning to put this any other way.
                    Perfectly clearly explained ram, and although it may look a bit strange to those of us using bigger resolutions, I think that is very public-spirited

However, may I suggest keeping an eye on paragraph length? When spread over 1280x800 three sentences occupy a couple of lines. When formatted to fit 800x600 those same sentences form a bit of a wall of text.

Comment

…. so the millions of others who use that acceptable resolution,
                      dont lose the last words in the sentences.
                      Your reasons for using 800x600 resolution are perfectly sensible, but these forums, popular as they are, don’t attract millions of users, so percentages are probably more relevant. Any site can collect statistical data on what browser/OS/screen resolution etc. visitors to the site are using, two examples are below. These suggest that between 1% and 5% of internet users operate at a screen resolution of 800x600 or lower. I don’t know what the statistics are for LLZ, or even if they are collected, if you are interested you could set up a poll in the TAB forum, but the results would not of course change your preference/needs.

Perhaps what is needed is a profile option that is suited to an 800x600 (or other resolution) display, I don’t know if such a profile exists for this forum or how easy it would be to create one, a question for the forum admin?

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
                      http://www.screenresolution.org/
                      I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

According to that link you put there I am

WHAT IS MY SCREEN RESOLUTION /DISPLAY RESOLUTION?

YOU ARE USING
                        1024 x 768
                        What is my IP Address?

But I have no idea what difference it might be making or why this sentence is going from right to left instead of the other way round.
                        I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
                          Perhaps what is needed is a profile option that is suited to an 800x600 (or other resolution) display,
                          No, not required, as you have to make a web page for every resolution.

My own web pages ( Management company ) are set so nothing gets
                          lost, nothing gets bunched up.
                          I check my web pages on every resolution,and if text gets pushed on
                          a newline, I alter it.

Web designers don't check theirs at different resolutions, they come
                          out of school, then do their media studies /web design, and all they
                          have is the widest screen available at the highest resolution possible,
                          and think that is what everyone has.

Web pages can be made to "fit to screen" so they fit on any screen,
                          or they make various parts in Pixel length which is only acceptable
                          if everyone else in the world used a resolution the designer uses.

If say, they make the top line text 1920 pixels long
                          ( number 6 at http://www.screenresolution.org/ )
                          then at 800 x 600 resolution , its twice as long ( wide ) as the screen.
                          and can get bunched up at a lower resolutions, or overlap other parts
                          of the web page.

All this is too technical, not realy needed, and newcomers to the
                          whacky world of computers, will know no difference.
                          They will have wide screens, small text, and
                          be oblivious to pixels and resolutions, and in 5 years time, they
                          will view these conversations as immaterial, and they won't know
                          what we are talking about ( They switch on their massive resolution
                          wide screen computers and they have no problems )

Sorry for us all hi jacking the kitchen thread. Suggest we leave it at
                          that.

R.a.M.

Comment

So what resolution should my kitchen be?

Comment

I

I would just like to congratulate Snorkerz on becoming a Tropical Expert
                              Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X