I didn't think it would happen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't think it would happen.

I had a meeting with the guarantor of my only LHA tenant last month (her Mum) I have had to demand direct payment from the council. Mum promised to pay £100 off the arrears monthly. Lo and behold I saw £100 appear in my account this morning. Gobsmacked because I was thinking she was only trying to delay the inevitable.

Motherlove must be really powerful.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Originally posted by jta View Post

And motherterror, too. The mother of one of our student tenants has just achieved what we as LLs have failed to accomplish all year, i.e. to make him remove the smelly old mattress from the back garden of our property to the tip. I would have loved to hear the parental threats which led to his removing it.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Gobsmacked because I was thinking she was only trying to delay the inevitable.

In her case perhaps 'the inevitable' (daughter being evicted) also meant daughter having to move back in with her...so maybe not so much motherlove as anythingtoavoidthat!

I would cheerfully live with two of my adult children, but not the third. I love him dearly and wouldn't see him homeless, but I have become too used to the absence of tornadoes in the bathroom, not tripping over his trainers in doorways and there still being food in the fridge when I arrive home from work (no locust-like stripping of its contents!). I couldn't go back to all that.. not cheerfully, at any rate.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Too true. It's amazing the number of parents who bail out their kids in order to ensure they don't have to move back home.
        I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Eldest LHA has completed her degree, heading on to postgradute study at the same University. It is the first year that she won't be coming home ( other than for a visit).

In all seriousness, it made me rather sad and proud. She is "all grown up".
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Our daughter has just finished her M.A. at Bristol Uni. I'm going to have to call her 'Your Ladyship' from now on, definitely very proud of her.

Comment

Our daughter has just finished her M.A. at Bristol Uni. I'm going to have to call her 'Your Ladyship' from now on, definitely very proud of her.
              Well done to both of them!

Our eldest is a PhD, but it doesn't make any difference. She still insists on Easter Egg hunts and leaves her socks all over the floor when she comes home.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                Well done to both of them!

Our eldest is a PhD, but it doesn't make any difference. She still insists on Easter Egg hunts and leaves her socks all over the floor when she comes home.
                I shall pass that on; as you indicate, she did the heavy lifting.

I may however have taught her too well, as when she told me about her plans, she ended the call with
                " I hope Mummy won't be too upset when you tell her"..!

No, it didn't go well.
                Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

My housemates Mum and I cleaned out the drains/grates the otherday before we handed back the keys...I don't think she quite knew what to say when her own 25year old ran off saying "EIIIIIWWW THAT SMELLS ICKY" and I popped on the yellow gloves and grabed a coathanger!

Comment

Originally posted by blacklipchic View Post
                    My housemates Mum and I cleaned out the drains/grates the otherday before we handed back the keys...I don't think she quite knew what to say when her own 25year old ran off saying "EIIIIIWWW THAT SMELLS ICKY" and I popped on the yellow gloves and grabed a coathanger!
                    I have just been chatting to the guy who services my van, who is normally a rational, no-nonsense sort of person. I was staggered though to learn that he and his wife spent last weekend thoroughly cleaning their son's disgustingly dirty student house (shared with 5 other boys) so that 'the lads' wouldn't lose their joint deposit. The 5 others had already left for their hols without attempting to clean even their rooms, let alone the communal areas, and the son in question didn't help, just played on his Playstation while his parents scrubbed, fumigated and polished.

Am I alone in thinking it would have been better just to let them all lose their deposit?

Comment

Probably.........except the deposit may have come from the bank of Mum and Dad.

Comment

Probably.........except the deposit may have come from the bank of Mum and Dad.
                        Oh, without a doubt. So you insist he repays you it, or deduct it from your contribution to his living costs next year. He won't starve, he'll just have to have 10 fewer nights out than this year. Good.

Comment

Yer a hard woman Missus.

Comment

Yer a hard woman Missus.
                            Moi?! Well, I thought I was being a bit of a soft touch agreeing to drive down with my van and help both our sons move houses this weekend, but some parents' indulgence knows no bounds, it seems. I expect I will end up supervising the cleaning and touching up of paintwork, but I'd sooner eat rocks than let them sit on their backsides while I do it all for them!

And they have promised to take me out for a nice meal in return (and pay for it!)

Comment

Yes, you would be suprised at how many parents will bail their children out of debt, guarantor or not.
                              Personally it can be very helpful to my business but it teaches the children nothing other than the fact that they don't have to be self reliant. Also some of these childrn can be aged 20 up to 30, if you can call them children!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X