TV query - help appreciated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV query - help appreciated!

Does anyone know of any possible reasons why my mother's TV set should suddenly have lost the ability to pick up any channels except BBC?!

She has checked the aeriel cable and scart leads and they seem to be where they should be.

It's a flatscreen TV which works on freeview and she has recently changed providers from Virgin Media to BT, but it did pick up other channels until a few days ago.

I know nowt about TVs, so any suggestions welcome.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Is it a freeview telly, or is it connected to a freeview box?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
      Is it a freeview telly, or is it connected to a freeview box?
      I'll check.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I'd simply retune the TV. Perhaps your mother's area has been subject to a "switchover" or windy weather has moved the aerial.

The aerial at the Shed ( Meridian area) still works on both digital and analog, though nearby houses have recently switched.
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Maybe it’s a ‘Smart TV’ and recognises the quality of the BBC, rejecting other channels? Unfortunately that does have the drawback of leaving ‘Eastenders’ viewable while the far superior ‘Coronation Street’ is blocked.

The internet service provider (Virgin / BT) has little to do with TV viewing unless you are watching internet streamed video.

Two most likely causes for your issue are;

1. The TV needs to re-scan the digital channels as LHA suggests or;
          2. More likely the signal source has been changed by accidentally pressing the wrong button on the remote, most TVs are still analogue / digital and there is typically a button to switch between (DTV) digital (Freeview) or analogue. Since practically all analogue channels are turned off now (but some are still enabled in different areas), the TV may be set to view analogue and not digital.

If you know the TV model you can often download a manual or find a ‘Google’ image of the remote.
          I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post

If you know the TV model you can often download a manual or find a ‘Google’ image of the remote.
            Just make sure to go to the manufacturers site and not one of the Pay for a Mnaual sites that seem to get a high ranking, and therefore positioning in search results, on Google.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone.

Aeriel is inside the loft, so doubt that it's been blown around.

We suspect she may have pressed a button on the remote by mistake but are loath to talk her through reversing that error in case she does something even more distastrous!

I feel a 60 mile round trip coming on...

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                Does anyone know of any possible reasons why my mother's TV set should suddenly have lost the ability to pick up any channels except BBC?!

She has checked the aeriel cable and scart leads and they seem to be where they should be.

It's a flatscreen TV which works on freeview and she has recently changed providers from Virgin Media to BT, but it did pick up other channels until a few days ago.

I know nowt about TVs, so any suggestions welcome.
                It's been got at by Ian Hislop.

Step one is probably a full rescan of channels on the Freeview Box, using the 'setup from new' option (ie overwrite anything there).

ML
                Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Yes, my TV lost a lot of channels recently due to the "digital switchover". Just had to do the re-scan of channels thing and ended up with more channels than I started with!

Another idea... a while back my little one decided to "play" with the remote and managed to set it up so that some of the channels were skipped by the TV (i.e. they were programmed in okay but were effectively blacklisted from being seen in the planner or channel list). Had to go into the programming menu and deselect the "skip channel" mark next to it.
                  Steve Smith - Company Director at a leading Landlord Insurance broker with 20+ years experience in the industry
                  LandlordZONE Verified Poster and Topic Expert for Landlords Insurance since 2009
                  See my profile for contact details

Comment

If the aerial is in the roof void then lets hope it isn't Mice or "Sqiggles" :O

If Mother has a web cam or lap top + built in cam, you could talk her through it Lloyd Bridges style.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
                      If the aerial is in the roof void then lets hope it isn't Mice or "Sqiggles" :O
                      I cannot think the mice would be able to discriminate that finely between BBC and ITV!

If Mother has a web cam or lap top + built in cam, you could talk her through it Lloyd Bridges style.
                      Blimey, no. She thinks she is on a par with NASA scientists by being able to 'do' emails (although she still rings you up to tell you what she has said in them, 'just in case it didn't get through'. A web cam would seriously freak her out. She would think the Government were spying on her, like in '1984'.

Comment

My Mother use to cover her laptop with a cloth and said " In case there were any dirty wee perverts keekin' through the wee ee ( Scottish for 'looking through the web cam lens')".

It's probably the only time a child has put on parental filter to protect their parent!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X