The Feebleness of Frying Pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Feebleness of Frying Pans

Why are frying pans so rubbish these days?

We were given one for a wedding present in 1979 and that lasted 20 years. Fair enough. Since then, we've had a succession of different ones, from cheap to very expensive, Asda special to Le Creuset (which nearly broke my wrist lifting it), none of which has lasted more than about two years. It's not as though we even use them on a daily basis.

I got a German-made one which was guaranteed to last for two years, which it did. Then the week after the guarantee ran out, it lost the will to live along with its non-stick properties. It was as though it was programmed to self-destruct.

I just want one which doesn't stick and won't scratch if used correctly and with a handle which doesn't come loose ...one which will last a long time. Like five years at least. I'll pay good gold. Suggestions welcome.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

"We were given one for a wedding present in 1979 and that lasted
    20 years"

Ask the question, is that manufacturer, if all they made were
    frying pans, still in business.

The shorter the life of a product, the more items get sold, making
    MORE profit for the manufacturer.

What would you do if you had a firm that was going bust, because the
    competition dropped their prices to sell 2 year life span pans, and you
    were losing sales on your 20 year life span pans ?
    You would redesign your product to maximise your profits.

There are crap products out there at inflated prices, so it does not
    follow that the more you pay, the better the product.

In Marketing, the price is set at " What the customer is willing to pay"
    as one of many criterias on selling price.

Typical case.
    The wealthy and famous who started to use Concord to fly to New York
    were personaly asked how much they thought the flight should or did
    cost.
    Their answer came back well in excess of the actual fare, and BA
    promply put up their prices by almost £ 1000 ( Long time ago,
    so can't remember actual figure )

People now wont pay a good price for a good product ( a generalisation )
    so what you get is cost cutting on design and manufacture and the
    end result is crap.
    Even crap lasts a year or two.

Unless you see the actual process of pans, and know the type and grade
    of the steel or aluminium alloy used, the heat treatment used, and the same
    spec for the rivets and screws, youwill never be able to know if you have
    a good pan or a bad pan.

When you find a good pan, be sure to let us all know.

R.a.M.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
      "We were given one for a wedding present in 1979 and that lasted
      20 years"

Typical case.
      The wealthy and famous who started to use Concord to fly to New York
      were personaly asked how much they thought the flight should or did
      cost.
      Their answer came back well in excess of the actual fare, and BA
      promply put up their prices by almost £ 1000 ( Long time ago
      so can't remember actual figure )

People now wont pay a good price for a good product ( a generalisation )
      I remember this and the majority of the rich and famous had absolutely no idea how much they paid for their ticket.

Back to the subject, the best pans to purchase are copper. They were used in time of old, in servants kitchens. If you remember your physics lessons, the popularity of copper as a mineral was all down to the physical properties of stress and strain it could accomodate. However, there are various grades and copper is expensive nowadays, but will last forever. I saw a set of 3 saucepans, (very rare) in a junk shop some years back and they were asking £80.00 second hand!
      To know how rich you are, count the things you have which money can't buy.

Comment

Most pans are aluminium based composites, and since Teflon coating is now generic, as well as other coatings available for use ,the costs are lowered.

The cost is pushed down in competition. As they are then easier to damage, they need to be cheap to be replaced.

It's partly because we are too impatient and use pans at the wrong heat.

When it comes to frying pans, the best are cast iron which you season yourself. If it gets burnt, scrape it off and re-season.

Or just be careful with the non stick, don't over heat it and keep an eye so as not to burn the contents.

Does Yorkshire black pudding taste differently when it's burnt- I am not sure there is a difference..
        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Why are frying pans so rubbish these days?

We were given one for a wedding present in 1979 and that lasted 20 years. Fair enough.
          My parents were given a pressure cooker as a wedding present, they were the in thing before fondue sets, in 1951.

It didn't last long and, I am told, took a chunk out of the kitchen ceiling, but the base went on in life as a chip pan. My younger brother still has it and swears that the chips taste better than chip shop chips.

His wife hides it away as she is embarrassed by it
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Mrs JTA ditched all our ?non-stick? saucepans a few months ago in favour of stainless steel, since I do most of the cooking here I can report that they are far better to use. We do have a good quality non-stick frying pan though, although |I don't think it will last twenty years, I'll try and remember to update you in nineteen years from now.
            I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
              fondue sets,
              Everybody dipping into the same bowl? Not so bad with cheese but what about those chocolate fountains that seem to be all the rage at parties? I can't think of anything more unhygienic than a load of snotty nosed kids dipping their fingers into the melted chocolate and licking it off.

Comment

There was a good reason why cheese fondue sets disappeared into oblivion. Most cheese is not intended to be eaten hot and dripping and certainly not in the indigestibly large quantities associated with a fondue set.

Now don't get me started on prawn cocktail...
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
                  I'll try and remember to update you in nineteen years from now.
                  Thanks, I'll look forward to it.

But I do need a new frying pan now!

Comment

Then have a look in Carrefour next time you're in the door dog knee. They do some good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
                      Then have a look in Carrefour next time you're in the door dog knee. They do some good ones.
                      You do bear a brain! I got a damn good pancake pan from there last year.

Comment

I have a tefal thermospot frying pan (I think). The T in the middle disappears when it's ready to cook. I've had it 9 years now and still going strong. I don't fry very often though.
                        I'm a good tenant with great landlords
                        I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X