The Prodigal Son's Brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sort of discussion pushed me away from bible study and fellowship groups. Any puzzlement is frankly in the mind of the reader as a result of their looking it from a human perspective.

I do not mean by that to denigrate the ability or motive of the questioner, but that it is a misguided attempt at trying to re frame the message into the very perspective that Christ teachings sought for us to reject. His response to the Pharisees as to his authority to teach, as well as John the Baptist actions, is that the question and answer is irrelevant.

If God is at the centre of your thinking and you love your neighbour, those feelings toward the son or any of the other examples Jesus gives are no longer relevant.

The Son would simply no longer feel that way.
    It is no more complicated than that- we only make it so.

It is message of simplicity and unqualified forgiveness and redemption. That alone should be celebrated.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
      This sort of discussion pushed me away from bible study and fellowship groups. Any puzzlement is frankly in the mind of the reader as a result of their looking it from a human perspective.
      Well, we are human. We can hardly bring a divine perspective to bear on it. Furthermore, the parable was written by a human too, in a human context.

I cannot help thinking though that you have missed the humour in LC's original post.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I do not mean by that to denigrate the ability or motive of the questioner, but that it is a misguided attempt at trying to re frame the message into the very perspective that Christ teachings sought for us to reject. His response to the Pharisees as to his authority to teach, as well as John the Baptist actions, is that the question and answer is irrelevant.

If God is at the centre of your thinking and you love your neighbour, those feelings toward the son or any of the other examples Jesus gives are no longer relevant.

The Son would simply no longer feel that way.
        It is no more complicated than that- we only make it so.

It is message of simplicity and unqualified forgiveness and redemption. That alone should be celebrated.
        But Lawcruncher is not the only lawyer to ask for an explanation of a meaning. A learned lawyer in Luke 10:25-37 asked JC for an explanation as well. Although the lawyer got the anwer right, it took a parable to illustrate this.

You stated the meanings were simple, true, but there is a difference between knowing and doing, which is what the parables illustrate.
        To know how rich you are, count the things you have which money can't buy.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Furthermore, the parable was written by a human too, in a human context.
          Recorded by a human, within thirty years after the death of JC.

Comment

Originally posted by wilfred View Post
            The elder son was the dutiful, hardworking heir, who although more faithful, was uncharitable and selfish in not forgiving others. He was ‘this thy son’, but never to him a brother, similar to the Pharisees outlook on sinners.
            The loss of a soul is a very real and great loss to God and his will is that not ONE should perish.
            If that is the case, then where is the forgiveness and mercy towards the prodigal son's brother? He would appear to be in far greater need of understanding but instead he's criticized.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
              If that is the case, then where is the forgiveness and mercy towards the prodigal son's brother? He would appear to be in far greater need of understanding but instead he's criticized.
              I agree, but I don't think they 'did' counselling in the first century.
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

The brother is rightly criticised because his opinions are inconsistent with how he should be thinking; love for & his brothers redemption should, at the very least override his resentment.

He should however not think in those terms, but we do err and sin as we are human, that is why we are offered grace and forgiveness.

A condition of that is that we cease to look at things, or try and re-frame them, in human terms but with, simply put, the attitude of mind that God wishes us to adopt.

If you set aside the notion of divinity, you are simply looking at the same set of circumstances but evaluating them on a different basis.

The father believes that the son's prior behaviour should be ignored accepting that he is genuinely repentant. He believes that the Son is wrong to resent his brother. The reason that he does so is that is what he believes is the right way to act.

An argument can be made for that resentment. It is therefore, in human terms, a matter of opinion. For those that believe, it is not, how we should feel is clear.

That Wilfred is how I view the twin purpose of the parables, to explain and illustrate from God's POV.

MTG I didn't miss the humour, it was the way the post developed, but in the spirit of LC's offering and question

" You (the brother) are a miserable git- just be glad he has learnt his lesson and is back in your life. If you have time for petty resentment, then go take it out on the fields and dig some more holes until it's out of your system."
                Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

That Wilfred is how I view the twin purpose of the parables, to explain and illustrate from God's POV.
                  As is the case with all the parables, explanation and illustration in action.

Comment

Originally posted by wilfred View Post
                    As is the case with all the parables, explanation and illustration in action.
                    What I am driving at is that the text is taken as a matter for discussion and rationalising, often in human terms rather than divine.

God has a simple view, the parable is to explain and illustrate, not debate, nor, as they asked, be justified by asking for his authority to instruct anyone.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X