Cat Flap Trauma!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Flap Trauma!

For good reasons we have had to move the cat flap for out two mogs from the back dor to the front. Similar design of cat-flap, just different location.

One of the two took to the new one instantly and comes in and out of it quite happily. The other one watches his brother appear and disappear through it with a look of bemusement and faint envy on his face, but refuses to use it himself.

Should we just shove him in and out of it a few times until the penny drops, or should we let him come round to the idea in his own good time? He is a bit of a big girl's blouse at the best of times and I don't want to traumatise him (and put him off it for even longer!), but on the other hand, he might just be too thick to work it out himself.

What do you reckon?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Should we just shove him in and out of it a few times until the penny drops,
    Yes, I'm afraid that's what you'll have to do. Been there, done that.

Or, you could try enticing him with his favourite dinner/treat on the other side of the flap.

Comment

Or you could get down on your knees and show the cat how it is done.

If nothing else, it might give the family a good chuckle while watching you
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I am sorry, awkward tenants like this need evicting - it is all well and good caring for those in society less fortunate than ourselves, but where does one stop? They'll be asking to live rent free with all food and utilities included next.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
          I am sorry, awkward tenants like this need evicting - it is all well and good caring for those in society less fortunate than ourselves, but where does one stop? They'll be asking to live rent free with all food and utilities included next.
          Quite! However, on that basis, I would also have to evict at least two of our three children (i.e. the 'permanent student' ones).

Actually, it is beginning to sound quite an attractive idea...
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
            Or you could get down on your knees and show the cat how it is done.

If nothing else, it might give the family a good chuckle while watching you
            Ha! I think not. The cat flap is about 6" wide and svelte as I am, I think it would be an indulgent waste of £12.95, not to mention the time spent installing the flipping thing. The leaflet accompanying the device did however warn us that 'alien cats, dogs and even small children may be able to pass through the flap' as well as our own cats.

Now that sounds as though it might be worth watching...!

I've always wondered whether aliens kept pets. Now I know!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
              Yes, I'm afraid that's what you'll have to do. Been there, done that.

Or, you could try enticing him with his favourite dinner/treat on the other side of the flap.
              Right! As soon as he's finished catching up with all the rugby matches he missed watching last weekend, the Training will Commence! I'll tell him it was your idea, Mrs Mug.

Watch this space.

Comment

Did you provide a copy of the manual?

Comment

I know everything there is to know about catflaps as I used to sell them all over Europe and North America....however I know nothing about cats and prefer dogs....
                  Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Sorry to be sensible, but I would encourage the reluctant cat with something very tempting on the other side of the new flap (he must have a favourite food), and perhaps a bit of subtle shoving. Do it a few times and the cat will learn to use the flap. Shoving alone will never work.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                      Sorry to be sensible, but I would encourage the reluctant cat with something very tempting on the other side of the new flap (he must have a favourite food), and perhaps a bit of subtle shoving. Do it a few times and the cat will learn to use the flap. Shoving alone will never work.
                      Good idea. I'll lay in a store of decapitated organic mice, served on a bed of pigeon's liver paté and drizzled with jus de cabillaud grillé. That's his favourite.

Or he might just get a packet of beef Whiskas. (Despite his middle class upbringing, He's a McDonalds sort of cat at heart).

Comment

My cat rarely shows an interest in anything unless she wants to.

Two things that she does jump up for is

1; an empty carrier bag, opened up and rustled.She is straight inside it, claws out.

2: a reflection off say a watch and she will chase the small bright object non stop.

On a sunny day I have often had a falling cat who tried to pluck a reflection off a ceiling

Perhaps that will get it's hunting instinct up and it's easier on the mice !
                        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I'll lay in a store of decapitated organic mice
                          That's processed found.
                          Best to get a nice living mouse

He's a McDonalds sort of cat at heart
                          My parent's cat would do anything for McDonalds chips (the salt perhaps, no idea why)

Comment

How about catnip? Pull a catnip toy, on a string, through the flap. Cat will follow.

Comment

Lock it and then the cat will definately decicde it is time to use it

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X