Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant Nationalities - traits & quirks

Evening all,

In your opinions what are the best nationality tenants to have? Has anyone identified any particular quirks/traits in certain nationalities?

Reason for asking: My potential tenant is Japanese/Dutch which got me wondering about traits/quirks (and stereotypical traits/quirks) of tenants.

I know some Dutchies (what my Dutch friends call themselves) and they all tend to be pretty direct and not afraid of saying what they think!

Interested in hearing your views.

Thanks,
    NL2011

I had a Swiss tenant a few years ago. He called out the electricity company out of hours for imaginary faults to his storage heaters, and then went out. He also had my plumber almost resigning with his demands for instant action.

Comment

I had 2 sets of vietnamese tenants who both liked indoor gardening but that does not mean they all do this !
      A lot of asian tenants leave the tap running on a trickle ( no matter how many times i turn it off!).
      A lot of asian tenants like to keep a bucket and jug in the bathroom.

These are my experiences - i do not imply that this is the the "norm".
      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
      W.Churchill

Comment

Do non-shaving cultures (beards, armpits or legs) have a lower incidence of blocked pipes?

ML
        Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
          A lot of asian tenants like to keep a bucket and jug in the bathroom.

This is a Muslim thing. I helped my Muslim friend install a new bathroom with electric shower in his house. Even now finished and looking beautiful, he insists on keeping a battered old yellow bucket in his new bath.

I surmise this is something to do with ritual washing before praying.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesknight0 View Post
            I surmise this is something to do with ritual washing before praying.
            Er, no. It's for washing his bum, innit? It's a cultural thing, nothing to do with religion per se I believe. Doesn't extend to the Japanese, although they do favour all-singing all dancing toliets which feature directable water jets (you have to try this to believe it!)

Comment

Oh, there's a nice thought. He told me his mother in law filled the bucket to shower with because she was scared of the 'light'. (electrically powered shower).

I hope she washed it out well first.

Comment

Originally posted by midlandslandlord View Post
                Do non-shaving cultures (beards, armpits or legs) have a lower incidence of blocked pipes?

ML
                Not sure about this one ...but for sure, chinese long black hair is much thicker than most, and has caused a couple of bloked drains for me !
                A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                  Er, no. It's for washing his bum, innit? It's a cultural thing, nothing to do with religion per se I believe.
                  Du-rekon ?

Anyone clarify :
                  1. How?
                  2. Why?

....and what is with the jug ?
                  W.Churchill

Comment

A lot of Nigerians want to be very close to a WU office!
                    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Du-rekon ?

Anyone clarify :
                      1. How?
                      2. Why?
                      Coincidentally this topic has just been covered in an adjacent thread here.

Somebody provided this particularly interesting link:
                      http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...ate=24/01/2011

Comment

Du-rekon ?

Anyone clarify :
                        1. How?
                        2. Why?

....and what is with the jug ?
                        Islam has a strict code for washing for purification, which comes from the still widely used "squat toilets" or those who live outside of settlements. It is called Q something Hajah ( if that's wrong I may get a fatwah).

It might be because at the time the code was written, middle eastern muslims had no trees to make toilet paper...

It does persist, and I doubt anyone is going to modify the code.

In new build with on site staff, where a number of recruits are muslim, I have specified a bidet, purely to ensure hygiene for everyone rather than water being splashed around.
                        Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

I have two houses with danish corporate tenants. Over the 20 odd years they have all been clean freaks wanting everything disinfected on changeover or every year, and I mean everything walls ceilings furniture..

One however complained after 18 months about damage to the kitchen floor and the worktops ( all 3 years old), and I called in to find the reason. I discovered worn off surfacing and bleached out, almost worn through, PVC tiling.

Under the sink I found vanisol and drain acid which she was diluting and using for the weekly deep clean.
                          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
                            Under the sink I found vanisol and drain acid which she was diluting and using for the weekly deep clean.
                            Now I understand why Scandies are blonde...

More seriously, have you found that installing a separate bidet prevents people standing on the seat to wash their nether regions*?

I've been thinking and I quite like the sound of the Japanese auto-bidets-toilets incorporating water jet with pressure seat cutoff, but they sound expensive and may surprise unsuspecting maiden-aunts.

I'm really not sure whether paper or bidet-toilet wins the cleanliness argument.

ML

* I would say arse but someone might go all funny on me.
                            Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

The first time I rented out a house in the late 70's was to asian students and in the lounge they painted each of the walls in the colour of their national flag.
                              They also had an aversion against paying for Gas as in their native country it was free.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X