Technology You Could Manage Without?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

neither, multi-million dollar/pound/ euro fee companies getting protein content as cheaply as possible from a source they should not have used. Farmers bought feed containing x amount of protein, not "new improved mashed up sheep brains".....
    You are forgiven however - a common mistake...
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by moanygit View Post
      Now who's being Naive?
      Intensive farming makes more money, therefore it will continue.
      I do not dispute it, much as I regret that it is the case.

I have already stated that my primary interest is in nutrition. I do not think that anything I have said is naive, though. I believe the world would be better nourished, if my suggestions were adopted and in my ideal world nobody would eat meat, but I am enough of a realist to know that this scenario is highly unlikely, and compromises must be sought. I just disagree with you that fake meat is/could be an acceptable compromise for most people!

No system of providing for people's basic needs is perfect. Some systems are less perfect than others, though, some are hopeless and some are plain dangerous. I suspect that any system based on lab-cultured flesh would end up in one of the latter two categories.

What would probably happen in practice is that those with the luxury of choice (ie the rich, developed nations) would profit from the manufacture of the fake meat, but finding it unpalatable (like ultra-low grade grade Spam or MRM - mechanically recovered meat - another abomination), would sell it to/dump it on poorer/developing nations in an attempt to salve their consciences about not doing enough to 'feed the world'. This is what has happened with GM foodstuffs and with over-produced infant formula milk, resulting (in the latter case), in the deaths from gastric infections (from bottle feeding) of hundreds of thousands of previously-breastfed infants across Asia and Africa whose mothers were persuaded by multinationals like Nestl├ę that it was the 'modern, safe' way to feed.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
        neither, multi-million dollar/pound/ euro fee companies getting protein content as cheaply as possible from a source they should not have used. Farmers bought feed containing x amount of protein, not "new improved mashed up sheep brains".....
        You are forgiven however - a common mistake...
        Just to clarify, I never said farmers caused it, I said they couldn't prevent it...

Comment

No sir/madam, but our Jeffrey did!
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
            No sir/madam, but our Jeffrey did!
            Wot? Cause BSE/scrapie? No, I didn't.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
              Wot? Cause BSE/scrapie? No, I didn't.
              No, foot and mouth disease. Admit it - you're always putting your foot in your mouth.
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

As opposed to my preferred option, you mean? You know...
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

As opposed to my preferred option, you mean? You know...
                  Now, that isn't very friendly. Though at least it would only be your virtual foot. I assume virtual feet don't smell.

Comment

What did I post that was unfriendly? I thought that I showed commendable restraint. Well done, me.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                      I assume virtual feet don't smell.
                      The only olfactory organ is the nose.

Comment

The only olfactory organ is the nose.
                        Sigh. You really must learn the difference between the semantic denotation of the verb 'to smell' used transitively as opposed to intransitively. Didn't they teach you nuffink, at that fancy law school?

Comment

What did I post that was unfriendly? I thought that I showed commendable restraint.
                          Well... for you, I suppose.

Comment

Aha- are you Chinese? Is there a special cadence/voice-pitch to distinguish transitive and intransitive? Perhaps I was off school when they explained it.

Comment

Aha- are you Chinese? Is there a special cadence/voice-pitch to distinguish transitive and intransitive? Perhaps I was off school when they explained it.
                              No, stupid. It's nothing to do with voice pitch. It's to do with context.

If Rodent can understand it (admittedly after a rather long lesson), surely you can?

Comment

Why aren't you Chinese, though?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X