Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technology You Could Manage Without?

1. Teas-maid machines
    2. Washing machines with more than 3 programmes (cool, hot and bloody hot).
    3. Electric bread knives
    4. Sky TV (in its entirety)
    5. Digitally remastered music
    6. All weapons
    7. The technology which enables scientists to clone sheep as they all look the same anyway.

Just my personal must-get-rids! Any objections/other suggestions?

(nb 1-7 are just for starters. Others may follow, depending on grumpiness levels).
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

What's really annoying is when you have Model A with 10 fancy features, 9 of which you don't use and one of which you find really handy, but when you replace it with new improved model B it has 20 fancy features, but not the one you found really handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
      What's really annoying is when you have Model A with 10 fancy features, 9 of which you don't use and one of which you find really handy, but when you replace it with new improved model B it has 20 fancy features, but not the one you found really handy.
      You sound like a man who has been let down by a Model B. I sympathise.

That is exactly what happened when they redesigned the iPod Shuffle so it was only half its original size. (It was fine as it was - about 4cm x 4cm). It costs about twice as much and you can no longer change the track or the volume on the device itself. You have to use the special, expensive iPod headphones with it, which have a built-in changer function. However, the ones provided with the iPod are not suitable for running in, so you have to fork out an additional £20 for the 'in-ear' ones and a further £20 every time the cat chews the headphones in the mistaken belief they are a mouse's intestines or something.

I have however triumphed over this global capitalist scam by finding a near-identical product for £10 in Asda which does everything I want it to do and with a lot less fuss
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I need Sky TV for House (Hugh Laurie) and 24 (Keifer Sutherland).

My list:
        1. Ice cream/bread/pasta makers
        2. More than one USB cable (I seem to have about 20)
        3. The Lacie external hard drive which I don't know how to use even though I fear my laptop is on the brink of self-destruction
        4. Podcasts
        5. Car tow-away trucks and other weapons of mass parking enforcement
        6. CCTV
        7. Formula 1 cars
        8. The Boeing 747-8
        9. Bidets
        10. Treadmills et al
        11. The Breville Brita Filter kettle with *Spectra Illumination* (we have this kettle, an impulse buy by boyfriend; amazing two cup capacity)

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
          8. The Boeing 747-8
          I'm interested, Why this particular aircraft?
          (not that I don't agree or anything)

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            7. The technology which enables scientists to clone sheep as they all look the same anyway.
            Ah.. but this technology could lead to the possibility of grown-to-order transplant organs.
            also, ...Tank-grown Meats, which are ethically sound for vegetarians..

surely this is a technology with beneficial (as well as detrimental, I grant you) possibilities..

Comment

Any technology that replaces an earlier one less than ten years old
              unless the manufacturer offers a replacement (at 90% discount) to owners of the old one.
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by moanygit View Post
                I'm interested, Why this particular aircraft?
                (not that I don't agree or anything)
                I don't like flying, and I don't like huge aeroplanes like the 747, because they increase the sense of being herded like cattle. Also, deep down, I am never quite convinced something that heavy is going to get off the ground.

It just seems totally unnecessary to make one even bigger than the jumbo.

Comment

I don't like flying, and I don't like huge aeroplanes like the 747, because they increase the sense of being herded like cattle. Also, deep down, I am never quite convinced something that heavy is going to get off the ground.

Fully agree with the herding comment, did you know why you have to adopt the crash position in case of a forced landing? There are two schools of thought.

1. You wont notice the crew parachuting from the rear doors.
                  2. So you can kiss your a**e goodbye.
                  I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Sit at the back of the aeroplane; they never reverse into mountains.
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      I always ask to be put in the same place as the black box!
                      To know how rich you are, count the things you have which money can't buy.

Comment

A recorder? They're instruments of torture at most infant schools. Be fluteful and multiply!

Comment

Don't ask 'Blue Peter' about the size of what a jumbo (Lulu) makes. See http://uk.ask.com/web?q=elephant+%22...=196&o=0&l=dir

Comment

too late, the A380 is Far far bigger than the 747-400 or -8

It is necessary though. more people on an airplane, makes it more fuel efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                              You fly into a mountain at ~600mph, It's not really going to matter where you sit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X