Computers' brains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computers' brains

When your laptop tells you (in that rather tetchy way they do), to 'plug in or find another power source' seconds before it dies, what do you think it has in mind for the alternative source of power, if not an electricity socket?

Hamsters attached to treadmills?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Wind/wave/solar/clockwork?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      Wind/wave/solar/clockwork?
      Go on, then. Explain how those would work!

Big cranking handle at side of laptop?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        Big cranking handle at side of laptop?
        Why not?

The £50 laptop to change the world.

Factfile: XO laptop ('Power Supply' section).
        "In areas without access to the grid, various contraptions have been designed to plug directly into the laptop including a solar panel, a hand crank (similar to those used on wind-up radios), a foot pedal and a pull-string recharger, similar to a starter cord on a lawnmower."

You could always build your own.
        The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

I wonder if the laptop is thinking about peanut butter – it contains a lot of oil.

Comment

When your laptop tells you (in that rather tetchy way they do), to 'plug in or find another power source' seconds before it dies, what do you think it has in mind for the alternative source of power, if not an electricity socket?

Hamsters attached to treadmills?
            You could run it off a UPS device (itself a big battery).
            Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by tom999 View Post
              Why not?

The £50 laptop to change the world.

Factfile: XO laptop ('Power Supply' section).
              "In areas without access to the grid, various contraptions have been designed to plug directly into the laptop including a solar panel, a hand crank (similar to those used on wind-up radios), a foot pedal and a pull-string recharger, similar to a starter cord on a lawnmower."

You could always build your own.
              See, mind the gap?
              Anyway, LZ has quite enough cranks already.
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

I still think the hamster thing would be more fun.

Comment

I still think the hamster thing would be more fun.
                  ...except for the hamster, mind.

Comment

...except for the hamster, mind.

Why ?
                    Hamsters where made to do this, and this alone weren't they ?
                    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                    W.Churchill

Comment

Is no hamster. Is rat. So you are. Mr Fawlty, he say.

Comment

Is no hamster. Is rat. So you are. Mr Fawlty, he say.
                        Pretending you are a dim-witted Spanish waiter is no excuse for being rude!

Comment

Road warriors often carry a spare charged battery....

Comment

As to thread topic: the problems with computers are best exemplified by noting that- to turn off- one clicks 'start'.

Comment

Pretending you are a dim-witted Spanish waiter is no excuse for being rude!
                              Pravo is rude. See http://uk.ask.com/web?q=%22Rude+Prav...=196&o=0&l=dir

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X